If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Palmerston Returns to the Vale of Rheidol

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by rheidol, Jul 23, 2014.

1. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

He did very little original research and presented hearsay, rumour, speculation and plain gossip as fact.

2. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I have no idea whether your description is accurate, but at the very least he made a very early attempt at comprehensive histories of what were then obscure railways, and I have seen several references report that we have him partly to thank for the FfR at least being preserved as his books attracted attention and affection at the crucial time.
    None of which is disputing the inaccuracy...

3. narrowgauge

narrowgauge New Member

Narrow Gauge Railways to Portmadoc certainly drew attention to the FR but I don't think it was essential to the FR's preservation, people were talking about preserving it before the book was published. Don't forget that Lee's book covered much the same ground. If there had been no Boyd book in 1949 then Lee's would have had a higher profile. Then the operation of the TR by the preservation society in 1950 would have soon got people interested in 'another' Welsh railway that was ripe for a preservation takeover, as it did.
    Peter Johnson

4. rheidol

rheidol Member

Railwayman
    There is now just a couple of weeks before Palmerston's inaugural passenger runs on the VoR.

Palmerston has been successfully tested with 3 carriages and works very well indeed!

Capacity has been increased on all trains so there are plenty of spaces available. You can book in advance by phone (01970 625819) or online at www.rheidolrailway.co.uk or buy your tickets from the Booking Office on the day.

5. rheidol

rheidol Member

Railwayman

Attached Files:

6. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Just back from Wales. I went to VoR on Sunday, great weather and a great show by both 'Palmerston' and the regulars.

One small criticism, and it may be me being thick - the website seemed to me to offer only a £40 fare for riding behind 'Palmerston' other the regulars only; admittedly a weekend rover. On Sunday I was able to get a one day rover for £24 to include 'Palmerston', which suited me fine.

John

7. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Beautiful day in the Rheidol Valley for Palmerston's last day.
    palmerston.jpg
    8_9 Rheidol Crossing.jpg

MuzTrem and Corbs like this.
  8. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Having visited on Saturday, I just want to take the chance to say well done to the VoR team. The format of the event worked well in my opinion - it seems to me that spreading the event over two weekends and encouraging pre-booking helped to keep visitor numbers manageable, which in turn made for a much more relaxed atmosphere than one finds at most railway galas. There were some problems with the air compressor on the day of my visit but the staff did a good job of keeping everyone informed. My only slight criticism is that it would have been nice to have one of the open coaches in Palmerston's train, as these allow maximum enjoyment of the sight and sound of the engines at work. I certainly enjoyed riding in one behind the Nos. 8/9 double-header!

I just hope that that the event has proved to be a financial success - and I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I hope it might open the door for visiting engines on the VoR! :)

9. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I avelled behind Palmerston on first weekend and whilst I enjoyed the trip, the event didn't feel like much of a gala, just a normal timetable with a different loco. The ticketing on the website was confusing, I too thought the only option (which i bought) was a £40 weekend rover allowing travel on one Palmerston train but the guy in the station at Aberystwyth changed this to a £24 day rover and this allowed travel on both Palmerston trains. I would have liked a more intensive timetable, cut the hour long break at Devils Bridge and maybe add a few other attractions, the Wren in steam perhaps or (shock horror) allow people to look around the shed at Capel Bangor.

It was still enjoyable though and hopefully the VoR will do it again with perhaps Russell, Lyd or one of the Penryhn ladies visiting, or the BMR pacific?

10. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

nanstallon likes this.
  11. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Some nice shots - I liked the two 2-6-2Ts by the water tower at Devils Bridge. It was nice to see the VoR with some different motive power, much though I like the usual locos. I hope to visit again next year - a comparison of 'Russell' or 'Lyd' with the resident 2-6-2Ts would be interesting ...

John

MuzTrem likes this.