If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pannier 3650

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Rlangham, Jun 26, 2007.

1. lostprairie

lostprairie New Member

It wasn't very long - she moved from Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen some time late 1969 and onward to Didcot during 1970, Pannier Man may well have the exact dates.

I do remember going on a railtour to Bulmers for a quick ride up and down their yard behind KGV, and I seem to recall the organisers having to stop people thieving bits off 3650 as she looked condemned!

That visit also took us round the cider works (hence the reference) and home via a very slow and bumpy ride down goods only lines through South Wales to Newport and then back under the tunnel and home.

2. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for all the comments.
    3650 will be operating every day over this coming May B/H - 2nd, 3rd & 4th.
    Latest list of steamings is on www.3650.co.uk Click latest news & steam dates.

[​IMG]

1:00 minute video By Derrick Thompson, following the steam test on 25/04/2009. (yours truly at the helm)

We know 3650 was sold by Stephenson Clarke on 31st October 1969, but don't have an exact date when it left Bulmers in 1970. I suppose I ought to try and find out, it's the only date we arn't completely sure of in 3650's history.
    We've come to think "that blue" will come back to haunt us... any wear and tear on the paint job, and it will probably show through in the fullness of time.
    If you look carefully, there are still a few bits showing. The lighting in the works at Didcot hid a couple of bits in the shadows, and no matter how careful we were, there's no substitute for daylight showing up the missed bits!! The loco owner, Brian, had his paintbrush out last Tuesday touching up the bottom of the odd handrail knob and pipe flange.

3. Persimmon

Persimmon New Member

From my notes, a little bit more on 3650's preservation history. it was originally purchased by Stephenson Clarke 9/63. GWS purchased it from them on behalf of a member 11/12/68, and it was originally proposed that it would go to the GWS Hereford Group at Bulmers for restoration arriving there on 31/10/69.
    However the Hereford Group subsequently proposed to restore it as a static exhibit only, as they considered full restoration such a major job. As a result the GWS considered several options including relocation to the GWS Caerphilly depot or swapping it for another pannier in Barry, before the final decision to move it to Didcot where it arrived in the summer of 1970. Happily the huge efforts of all concerned in its restoration at Didcot are now there for all to enjoy.

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Was there actually a GWS Hereford Group? I can remember there being Totnes, Bodmin, Taunton and Caerphilly groups, and presumably there was a presence at Ashchurch amd Taplow at times.....

5. Persimmon

Persimmon New Member

Yup. The GWS Hereford Group had its first meeting in July 1968, with a view to involvement with 6000 KGV which was being located at Bulmers The Group later became the 6000 Locomotive Association, and consequently the Hereford Group was wound up.

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Thanks - you learn something new every day!

7. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Had to post this pic By Frank Dunbleton.
    Just a small contrast in size.
    (bet we could take him)!!

8. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    no prob i reckon...go on the Panniers..

9. gw driver

gw driver New Member

Of course you could! Now't can beat a pannier in good fettle!

All the best for the 13th and 14th.

Cheers,

GW

10. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Both related to ducks I see...

... I'll get my coat!! :smt003

Regards,

Dan

11. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    3650 is being launched this coming weekend at Didcot Railway Centre, so why not pop along and see us.
    Although Didcot is only advertised as a non steam open weekend, 3650 will be available for rides on the demonstration line, and will pose briefly on the turntable around 13:00 for a dedication. The "Black Python" real ale bar will also be open.

If you fancy a Pannier fest, why not combine it with a visit to Cholsey & Wallingford's 50th anniversary event of the last bunk line service, with 6430 and auto coach. Details here http://www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com

12. porous pot

porous pot New Member

Hi. Looking at the pics in one of the mags with 3650 and 3738 together, there appears to be a very significant difference in the green colours. Were there varying shades of green used by the GW or is one of them too dark / too light?

57xx's. Great engines - best seen in pairs. (Didcot, SVR, Tyseley)

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Still think it looked better in blue. :smt002

14. baldric

baldric Member

I should know 100%, but you have put doubts in my mind, I am 99% certain that 3738 is actually black at the moment.

15. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Yes it certainly is black (unless it's been repainted since last Thursday!)

16. gz3xzf

gz3xzf Member

Retired
    Maybe we should call it Colletts Improved Engine Green? :-#

17. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    3650 & 3738 - one is just a slight shade darker!!
    [attachment=0:38fb3ozz]P5020010small.jpg[/attachment:38fb3ozz]
    Seriously though, compare the two pictures below and my sig pic. Believe it or not they were all taken within an hour of each other. Just goes to show how much difference the lighting / sun can make.

Didcot's 5572 is quite a dark green, but is old paint from years ago (probably lead based), 4144 is much lighter (faded as its aged). We even had a batch of green that diddn't do very well when hot - 6998 had very light patches where hot lubrication pipes ran under the cladding. I think some of the synthetic paints are now much better, but you can't beat the good old lead based ones for durability and colour stability. It'll be interesting to see how 3650 ages.
    [attachment=2:38fb3ozz]P4210001small.jpg[/attachment:38fb3ozz] [attachment=1:38fb3ozz]P4210040small.jpg[/attachment:38fb3ozz]

18. porous pot

porous pot New Member

Many thanks for the info. The pic in the mag had 3738 at the rear, and I honestly thought it was a dark green. Just goes to show how magazine printing can distort the perception. I didn't know that 3738 was in black, and I just supposed that I was looking for green.

I guess I should make a trip to Didcot one of these sunny days and see it all for myself. The last time I was there it was at the launch of the Saint project and I brought along my Saint 'plate for the display. How many years ago was that!

19. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    3650 passed it's first annual insurance exam yesterday (Thur 24th Sept).
    Next steamings are Sat, Sun 26/27 Sept on the main demonstration line, then the following (first) weekend in Oct as "Duck" for the GWS's Thomas weekend. The tank side roundels will be temporarily covered up as 3650 will be carrying GWR lettering for the weekend.

If anyone wants photos of 3650 in its GWR guise, but without the face, and as an alternative to the roundel, let me know, as it's something the group are happy to do from time to time.

20. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Blue 3650 Backmann model

Just for anyone interested...

Bachmann have produced a OO gauge model of 3650 in Stephenson Clarke Blue. Limited run of 500, certificates signed by yours truly. There's also a nice article in their collectors club magazine.

http://www.bachmann-collectorsclub.com/index.htm