If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pathfinder - Chester Chuffer - 15/12/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by NathanP, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Saves changing the points?

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I recall it was doing the low 70s around there. For the skip gricers out there (surely there can't be that many), it was 67018.

3. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This looked like one to avoid. No Chase line, thumbs down, diesel included, just about tolerable, diesel tucked on the inside, intolerable and shambolic weather to boot !

4. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Hindsight's a wonderful thing - as I record engine mileages, this one is particularly difficult. On the lowest common denominator basis - that the driver of 34046(52) is still in control of the train - I could still count it, but I'm really not so sure on this one. It's slightly different with a Class 47, because you have a better chance of telling the extent of the assistance. With a 67, it's not so simple. I'm tempted to simply record the mileage as Portobello Junction - Bushbury Junction as it is generally downhill; Crewe-Chester as its not exactly a taxing route downhill across the Cheshire Plain, and from Shrewsbury - Telford because 34046 did make some noise on the climb up to the stop at Telford with no abnormal increases in speed.

It was clearly overloaded for the available power despite Tornado's no-show being known about two months in advance (surely one or two carriages had yet to be booked up by that point and a decision made?), and for 'ETH' purposes. Despite the overwhelming success of 35028's trip to Cornwall in the Summer, two issues in a row (the original Heart of Wales date and now this combined with the comparatively high ticket price when things no longer resemble what was originally planned) means that I shall probably avoid this promoter in future.

Landshrew and 1020 Shireman like this.
  5. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    It's all about the money Tom. At least 'er indoors' broken ankle saved us £130 on the Chuffer. We were going to do it as we did all but one of Past Time Rail's Chester Chuffers and hoped Pathfinder would run it in the spirit of those trains. We even had 5407 with 12 up Gresford one year.

Bulleid Pacific likes this.
  6. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Indeed. Live, learn, and don't book with Pathfinder.

7. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Unfortunately I've got a £250 infamous Credit Note as despite them cancelling GEII that I used the 50% Credit Note I had after the GEI farce, they didn't even stand by their own Ts&Cs - full refunds if they cancel. Such is Pathfinder 2006. Hope the Sherborne on the 20th has the splendid 35028 on the front as I assume you're booked on it. Have a great Christmas. Hope to see you early in 2019.

8. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    No, I decided to give the bank account a rest for that one. Whilst 2018 has ended on a bit of a dull note with that particular trip, having just done five in four weeks, one duff one (pun intended) could be a lot worse. I felt the other four ranged from very good to excellent.

Happy Christmas and New Year, and will indeed be on the rails sometime early next year.