If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail at Matlock.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 46118, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

great pics

is there any official request on the totems? ie something like a totem fund so people can donate? Ive put a link to the DWVRT on an rmweb thread and the quote from Ben about them.

2. Petwall

Petwall Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Mike
    Imagine stepping off a train on your first ever visit to Matlock onto a station restored to how it was in the 1950’s . You look around at the Victorian lamp posts and seats but you are distracted as a steam train arrives in the opposite platform. That is what Ben and the rest of us are aiming for. Thanks for your interest and if you are down our way come and have a chat or maybe even get your hands dirty.

Regards Pete

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Hi Pete,

I was impressed by the amount of S&T work going on around Riverside last weekend. Is there a track diagram online somewhere of what it all does please? Iain

4. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

Hi Folks,

There's nothing on the Peak Rail website about totems etc, there isn't quite the place for it. I have posted on the members area.

It isn't an official national appeal- signs like totems are things we've always said we'd sort, but you can't do it too far in advance, or people don't see an endpoint. I just put out the point aimed at members and interested people because I often get people say 'well, let me know if I can help with xxx'. I tend to buy and fix the posts and benches myself, supported by the DWVRT at the last minute. Indeed, 'all done and sorted' implies we have time to get such details ready years in advance- most often, I manage to scrape everything together then go hell for leather getting it all done. I have all the necessary signs for the more mundane stuff, GENTLEMEN, PLATFORM 2 etc, which I've bought, because nobody is interested in supporting them.

But totems are very distinctive, and I find people like being in on the last phase.

If I buy one, which I will, it has to be ordered at the end of April, or it won't be ready in time. It was just to poke those who have offered to help in the past, remind them that the clock is ticking, and see what happens. Certainly, the opening won't be delayed by the absence of totems!

The plc do care, very much, but they are responsible for keeping the trains running.
    The DWVRT exists to support the heritage side of things, and they do a great job (we- I'm a trustee, although very much a trustee in overalls rather than a suit), but funds are limited, and there is more than one project to keep working on. There will be a large outlay on repairing the posts and benches, although I would add that we rarely buy new. All the cast iron work is original, collected from everywhere and fully restored, and actually works out cheaper than new. For example, the lamp posts at Darley Dale (5 posts with ladder bars) worked out at around £1500 the set. New, you are looking at £950 EACH, plus £70 per ladder bar. But, they needed a lot of work, and the lamp tops still aren't on because I haven't had time to fix them (final year med student). They're not far off now, actually. Want to buy them new? £700 each. Originals work out about £50 each. Yep, so it takes longer, but it's a good model for a project run by volunteers.

Benches- those 10' benches work out about £250 each, that's three pairs of legs, fully restored, seating 6 people. Go to a repro place, and you get a bench for 3 people, with just 2 pairs of legs for upwards of £600.

We make our money stretch a long way, I'm pleased to say.

For once, and just once, we need to buy something new. It is a lot of money though- I wouldn't dream of asking the plc to pay. That said, we get one shot at impressing the press this summer, and it would be nice if it looked like what was there was finished. After that, I intend to carry on and develop Matlock- we won't stop at lamp posts.

Usually, I get told what people want, some folk complain cos it hasn't already been done, and then I go away and figure out how to do it out my own pocket. And that is like many other individuals on the railway. On this occasion, I can't stretch to £1000 for totems, so hence my invitation for others to help a bit.

Totems or none- (lord knows how I fund the running in board- I won't, I'll buy it after the opening, looking about £1000 all told), the station will look awesome this summer. There are 3 greenhouses in full flow to get Matlock looking pukka for the 2nd July!

5. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

And yes, 6 lamp posts in exactly the same positions as the original 6, 4 benches positioned as they were, planters to match the 1950s photos, and with some luck, at least one totem!

6. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    there is a diagram, but its on the peak rail own forum,maybe pete can copy the one of my website and put it into his flickr site for linking from here!!,i may be a bit busy for a couple of days ,so dont think im avoiding anyone its just im busy boss!!!

7. Sheff

Cheers, You mean the members only pages? I'm in there but haven't found it yet :/

Adendum - found a link to your own site - hope you don't mind me including it on here? Matlock Signalling

8. Petwall

Petwall Member

Don't think there is one on the members forum but I have a copy and will upload to Flickr this evening

Pete

9. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

midland relic
    thanks for such a great reply.

as an enthusiast ive dreamt about this project for many years, Ive visited many times and got loads of steam in the peak magazines, from Buxton to the darley dale days to Rowsley yard extension, shed, turntable etc.

the route is there but you guys have had to rebuild everything from scratch, which we know takes time and money.

It was said earlier what would people like to see to improve the atmosphere etc.
    dont want to sound like a broken record or anything but the one thing I would try and do, apart from a full restoration of the platform with original style buildings and canopies etc which would be impractical at the moment, would be either tarmaccing or paving of the platform. Is there any idea of a rough cost of that at all? so that they can be kept clean and brushed easily.

10. Petwall

Petwall Member

A signal diagram for Matlock is now on Flickr
    Link is below in my signature
    Its easier to read than the one on Dom's website

Pete

11. Sheff

Thanks, that's great!

12. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Dom

is there any new when the track will be laid in Platform 2 (Matlock). is the intention also to remove Riverside station

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    riverside will be staying just in case you ever needed to terminate something there, there is engineering booked on NR side of the fence around easter but thats outsdie my remit,its on their side of the fence,im concentrating on stuff our side of the fence.

i measured up Holt signalbox on the NNR at the weekend as theyve done the base of the box in concrete blocks,so good idea to see how theyve done it prior to us doing the same with Riverside, more work planned for next week and weekend.

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The connection to the Network at the end of Matlock loop was made over yesterday and today by the volunteers,an item appeared on the East Midlands news,but may not appear till tommorow on Iplayer.

the work on the signalling etc continues apace, we will update more as we go into the next phases now of the platform works and riverside signalling, il try to get some pictures uploaded soon as i can.

dom

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  16. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

its now just over 7 weeks to go until the opening weekend,

has any work started yet on the platform and trackwork?

17. bluediamondman

bluediamondman New Member

They usually post pics on the PR website Forum....none yet so I doubt if work has started....

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    due to start soon,on platform works and tracklaying,cant say any nmore than that at present for obvious buisness reasons,first thing youl notice is the track will be down before you know it!!

19. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

The track machines and lighting rigs were at Matlock yesterday (Saturday 21st) hopefully to begin work overnight. One feature will be the removal of the ramp at the south end of the platform to be replaced with a fence and gate so that loco crews can get under to uncouple without going into the six foot.

Hopefully someone can provide an update.

Cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

20. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

thanks for the photos
    hopefully with the plant being on site work is imminent