If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail at Matlock.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 46118, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Petwall

Petwall Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A picture of the platform with lamp posts in place can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/manofderbys/5872418808/in/photostream/

There are some pictures of the platform work on my Flickr site
    Things have progressed so rapidly that photos are out of date the day after they were taken. Work at Matlock started in the last week of May and since then the track has been laid, platform rebuilt and raised almost a foot in height, access ramp created, lamp posts installed, running in boards installed, flower beds created, planters and benches will be in place for the opening. During all this we have had a Diesel Gala and played host to a preserved bus event as well as running the normal service trains. Perhaps that could be why no one has had time to post pictures

Pete

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Thanks for the pictures and updates. I think we can all understand that you have been very busy with all of that work. Maybe to help on the communication front it could be an idea to involve local 'armchair' supporters? There are many people that for many reasons do not get involved with volunteering but could never the less provide support. A couple of pictures showing progress could even help in bringing more volunteers to help ease the workload.

3. Dennis Rayner

Dennis Rayner New Member

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

The problem is that all the members involved in the work are also involved in day-to-day running, and have lives and careers as well. This leaves very little time to do extra work. Unfortunately in a lot of cases, armchair members are precisely that - people who are a long way away who do very little whatsoever, look through forums and demand photographs!

I have no involvement with Peak Rail, but this sounds exactly the same as the way we are. If you want to see what's happening - be patient and wait for those involved to post photos and news. They have every intention of promoting what they are doing - but pressures of actually doing the work prevent this. Alternatively, go along and visit!

5. Dennis Rayner

Dennis Rayner New Member

Well, well, well - an excellent set of pictures have just been posted on the website.

Looks like a superb job by everyone concerned.

Kestreleyes - are you a miracle worker or what?

6. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher

7. Dennis Rayner

Dennis Rayner New Member

The path is PeakRail main website / support / members only section ( need a password - link to get one is shown)

The topic is "Matlock - The Connection"

Regards

8. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    Very infortunately Im not a member of PR!only an keen enthusiast onlooker! with others railways we have not this problem of secrecy!
    a very long waited good job nethertheless!:rockon:
    regards
    noel

9. dggar

dggar New Member

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    That's exactly my point. I don't expect the working members to be responsible for updating the PR website - that's the responsibility of the marketing people surely. And as Noel says, what's the point of hiding the info and photos in a members only section? The public and enthusiasts should see all this good stuff on the front page. ( I note now that a new front screen has appeared giving some info).

11. bluediamondman

bluediamondman New Member

All the relevant information regarding this event has been posted on the front page of the PR main website for several weeks!

12. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So publicly accessible updates on progress are not "Relevant Information" then?

13. Petwall

Petwall Member

Many of the railways “armchair supporters” have sponsored items for Matlock platform such as totems and planters so it is understandable, in these days of instant electronic communication, that they want to see pictures of the progress immediately it happens. The members forum has had regular updates and pictures on it and Dom, Ben and myself try to provide information on here and via our own sites for non members. If one is working at Rowsley a trip to Matlock requires one to drive five miles down the A6 with its speed cameras and traffic queues, not a great distance I know but this consumes time better spent on bringing the project in on time for the opening. Even after the opening there is still a lot of work required to get the signalling at Riverside finished and more work is planned on platform two at Matlock
    With regards to the signalling at Riverside we appear to be a little short on the A frames that hold the wheels for the rodding runs so if anyone has any that are surplus to requirements or knows of a source of these items we would like to hear from you

Pete

14. philw2

philw2 Member

Thanks for taking all the photos Pete - very much appreciated.

It's a pity you have to do all the work of PR PR dept. as well as your own workload. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pay any speeding fines you incur so take it easy..

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    We arent discussing the reopening event, we are talking about progress reports and photos which shouldn't be down to Dom and Ben and the others who are ready working their socks off, bless em! And as a shareholder I'd like some idea of where the money came from too please?

16. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Because the "they" department have the power to do so, which is what it is all about to them.

Many other railways have the same problem, "toys being thrown out of the pram" springs to mind here:

regards
    CW:

17. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    not many only a few fortunately(included PR of course!!it was not the same when Mr Clegg was alive and well:rip:
    regards
    noel

18. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

to be fair they do seem to see the importance of media as they do inform the local papers of projects.
    they just dont seem to have extracted the Internet potential to its fullest.
    the new website is fresher than the old one, just no regular news updates like other railways.
    am I right in thinking they recieved a grant for the platform work, cant remember the figure around 25k?

19. bluediamondman

bluediamondman New Member

Also the 3 company press releases put out by Andy Coward on the 9th, 11th, and 20th of June have been instrumental in futher promoting this event in the wider railway press.

20. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

just seen some pics on another forum taken today, the stop board has gone from between the rails, mounted on platform 1 now, one of the running in boards is up along with flower beds etc and looks superb!

question regarding the second running in board, where will that be placed? near the tunnel end on the plaform like the sainsburys end or will it wait until a station building is erected and be on the side of that?

Mike