If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The issue you have with an arrangement like that is pathing. It works at the GCRN because the GCRN doesn't run scheduled passenger services during the week, only the occasional test train or driver experience. Whereas I believe Peak Rail runs services during the week in school holidays. So unless you decided to so something like reinstating double track but using it for parallel running (i.e. Peak Rail trains use one line and Freight trains another) which is highly unlikely, you have two companies vying for paths, and I would imagine 90% of the time a revenue earning freight train would win over a heritage steam train.

Still, I imagine if they could come to some sort of arrangement this would be hugely beneficial to PR, and I wish them all the best in pursuing it

2. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well I think the quarries wind down at weekends, the explosions stop at the least, that could be the solution, Peak rail gets it at weekends.

3. philw2

philw2 Member

Wouldn't it be possible to run freight at night? Just asking...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. David R

David R Well-Known Member

I've always thought that Peak Rail has somehow been a missed opportunity. Founded in the mid 1970s so a well established railway, a former double track main line running though some of the finest scenery in England and close to major population centres. With a large site at Rowsley for development. What's gone wrong - this should be a railway that's powering ahead by now?

David R

Fish Plate, AndyY, James F and 2 others like this.
  5. David R

Given that the article specifically states that the link is not for passenger services I'm struggling to undersatbd the quote "Peak Rail has long held ambitions to reopen the line between Buxton and Matlock, so it can extend heritage services. Paul said: “We now realise the cost and works involved would be beyond us as a voluntary organisation, but this would be a way to achieve our goal and benefit the local tourist industry.”

https://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/ne...consider-peak-district-railway-line-1-9086593

Other than in the context that Peak Rail has completely given up, wjhich I'm sure is not the intention

David R

6. JayDee

JayDee Member

By "Passenger services" they mean actual public services. Heritage services, despite offering an excellent option for transportation never seem to be too viable as a public service. Peak Rail would be one of the few likely exceptions like Swanage is as it would provide a shorter through line between Buxton and Derby.

David R likes this.
  7. T'Bogger

T'Bogger New Member

Design Engineer
    As I noted in my brain dump here, from the local communities point of view, if the line was opened, it is highly likely they would want a 50-60mph passenger railway. There is the possibility that this could happen 5 days a week with Peak Rail operating at the weekend. This might be the best compromise to satisfy everyone. But there would be an awful lot of work and effort from the Peak Rail side to get the loco and rolling stock needs fulfilled in time for the opening within a relatively short time (5 to 8 years?).

This sort of thing needs positive open minded thinking from all the stake holders to reach the ideal solution that gives as many winners for freight, heritage and modern passenger services. But before any of that, the feasibility study needs to be undertaken, which will take some time.

8. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Tommorow's Peak Rail meeting at the Harlequin pub is CANCELLED.

The speaker Peter Skelton does not want to risk his planned long drive from Gloucester and then back again, in the face of the yellow warning of snow for monday and advice to avoid unnecessary journeys.

In view of the Bank Holiday, reduced bus services, and unpleasant forecast as well, an alternative speaker or video evening is NOT being pursued.

By cancelling now, there is more time to get the message out. Please pass this message on to those you know who may not otherwise find out (e.g. without e-mail).

The show is not lost. Peter will now be presenting it next year on Monday 1 April 2019.

Dave

9. Midlandsouthern

Midlandsouthern New Member

I think it shall be a wait and see who does a study and what comes from it. Returning it to a proper railway is going to be the prefered choice if anything does happen. Peaks has to up its game and show its serious. With the rolling stock and operational and organisational capacity to deliever or be taken seriously in any plan. Could well be a nymr style operation may appear. IF a reopen materalises. Peak district is very scenic area. And peak rail has potential to be midland/lms stronghold like ELR. Scenic rural mainline. Just needs a new focus from the top

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    T'Bogger likes this.
  10. James Wyatt

James Wyatt New Member

Have your say on minerals plan

Derbyshire County Council, along with Derby City Council, are inviting local people to have their say about the Minerals Local Plan for the area.

Together they are drawing up a draft plan to guide mineral-related development within Derbyshire and Derby, except in the Peak District National Park, until 2030.

Minerals produced include limestone, sand and gravel, brick clay and shale, sandstone, vein minerals such as fluorspar, coal and gas − including gas in deep shale which could only be removed by the hydraulic fracturing process known as 'fracking'.

The plan will set out where quarrying and mining is expected to take place and the principles we will use to decide on planning applications for mineral development.

Specific sites identified for mineral working include extensions to the following quarries:

Swarkestone Quarry - sand and gravel
    Willington Quarry - sand and gravel
    Whitwell Quarry - industrial limestone
    Ashwood Dale Quarry, Buxton - industrial limestone
    Mouselow Quarry, Glossop - brick clay.
    The latest version of the plan is available to view and comment online and a series of drop-in sessions are being held so that residents can talk to council officers about the plans at:

Chapel-en-le-Frith Library, Thursday 5 April, 2pm to 6:30pm
    Barrow on Trent Village Hall, Thursday 5 April, 11:30am to 6:30pm
    Dronfield Library, Monday 9 April, 11:30am to 6:30pm
    Ripley Library, Thursday 12 April, 11:30am to 6:30pm
    Bolsover Library, Friday 13 April, 11:30am to 6:30pm
    Long Eaton Library, Wednesday 18 April, 11:30am to 6:30pm
    Chesterfield Library, Tuesday 24 April, 11:30 am to 6:30pm
    Whitworth Centre, Darley Dale, Thursday 3 May, 11:30am to 6:30pm
    Councillor Richard Iliffe, Vice Chairman of the Derbyshire and Derby Development Plans Joint Advisory Committee, said:

"Minerals are important to our way of life, not only in building houses, factories and roads, but also in the manufacture of a huge rage of everyday products such as paints, paper and toothpaste. They are also important in the production of energy used to heat our homes and fuel our industries.
    "Derbyshire is rich in minerals, making the county one of the most important in the UK for resources particularly limestone.

"But the same geology which gives rise to this wealth of resources also creates the striking landscapes which are important to Derbyshire people, the visitor industry and the local economy.

"Unfortunately, mineral working almost always causes some impact on the environment and local communities. The challenge now is to set the minerals guidance and polices for the new plan so that all the relevant factors raised by these competing interests are addressed effectively − and this is where we need local people to help."

To view the Spring 2018 consultation or have your say go to www.derbyshire.gov.uk/minerals (opens in a new window). The deadline for comments is Friday 18th May.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  11. David R

For a little bit of nostalgia - early days at Darley Dale - possibly 1989 (but I'm not certain).

David R

Attached Files:

12. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Seen in the sunshine at Rowsley today, Pete Waterman's restored 21 Tonner, and the first car of the 2-HAP from Coventry that has been given a home at the Briddon's Darley Dale base, the second car was arriving at I was leaving about 6pm.

I think that's a buzzard being mobbed by a crow in the 2-HAP photo.

Dave

21T.JPG

2-HAP.JPG

30854 and cct man like this.
  13. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Can you have a mob of one?

14. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

To think I commuted in those for a year in sarf London. Non corridor stock, slam locks. I remember opening one door, getting into the compartment to find a strong smell of felt tip pen, 4 evil looking youths and graffiti everywhere. Too late, the train has started to move. We glowered at each other in silence....

56092 and cct man like this.
  15. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    45139BFF-6D76-4F28-B52F-5DF8C81D73BB.jpeg
    Picture of the two HAP units at Darley Dale en route to south Yard and MR Briddon’s workshops, pic courtesy Mr Briddon.

Robkitchuk likes this.
  16. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I too used to commute on these, with only the single buffer between coaches they used to rock around a lot, compared to the 501s out of Broad Street and Euston which had the more normal two providing a bit more lateral damping.
    So if you wanted to run them as push-pull what would you need? The Spa Valley have a 4-CIG they run with a 73 in push-pull mode.

Edit: That should be a 3-CIG.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  17. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Class 14 (the owner has two) with suitable control mods, according to the Weekend Rails blog.

18. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    I thought they had an 07 class, that would have all the connecting gear, a tad slow maybe but it should work ok!

19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    So what is the plan/rationale for these units at PR please?

20. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

See the (owner’s Dad) Weekend Rails blog. I imagine there’d be no current plans for it to run at PR.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Sheff likes this.