If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

Dinglby Dell footbridge- got a chap coming to quote for shotblasting of the arch and stairs next week, after which we should be able to set on a firm to do this work. Upon completion, the first stair case will be stripped and work started with new material. This will be a costing exercise, we will use this as a basis upon which to construct the match funded grant for the other three staircases and the arch. Will do the arch and stairs (and landings and decking!) first, whilst we wait for access to the site at Darley Dale- when the Bamford box has moved.

The foundations have been inspected, and quotes obtained for reconstruction, and these have come in under (just!) what we were expecting, and looks at present to be a straightforward job. The worksplates have been recovered and are being restored, and a bridge plate has been procured (might as well do small parts whilst we await work on the rest, to ensure we don't get stuck waiting for anything). Some handrail knobs to get cast for the top of the staircases.

Columns are on ice at present, but as soon as the box is gone I will start having work done on the footings and supports, and run as a parallel project to the superstructure.

Fundraising- ain't doing too bad, enough to do what we need to do for now, and enough to meet the match funding we'll need for the arch and stairs. In that odd twilight zone where there isn't enough money to do the whole job yet, but there's enough to press ahead with and keep rolling. Have some interesting fundraisers on the go, including what I can only describe as an exquisite Noah's Ark quilt hand made specially for us and donated to the project. Plan is to sell days of the calendar for £2 a day, and draw next year. Will post pictures when I get some.

Another platform bench delivered to Darley Dale last week in full livery, No.3 is to follow as soon as I get time to transport it- it's in the shed ready to go.

Ben

2. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    to add to Midland Relic`s update the lever frame supports for the Matlock box were craned down today so we can start repainting and fettling them up to go in at Matlock once the box base is built, we also did more on our stores and a few other jobs aside,getting all reasy for the start on trackworks at Riverside.

Mr Briddon younger was busy working on his items too,the wheelbarrow being a busy thing today between us all!

3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There's an interesting collection of pictures showing how another group restored their footbridge here:
    http://www.pontypool-and-blaenavon.co.uk/pages/development-footbridge%202.html
    Maybe you've been in contact eg for the cast handrail brackets?
    Can't wait to see it up!

4. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Many thanks!, il ensure Midland Relic is aware of it,thanks for the comments,much appreciated especially upon the hard work he`s doing on the footbridge.

5. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the link, I have been watching the progress on the P&B bridge, did try to make contact just to compare notes but no response, possibly wrong contact to email.

I would say that Darley Dale bridge is about as different to this as it could possibly be in terms of components. We will have new handrail knobs cast (only 4 missing!) to the original drawings, I'll weather the cost of a new pattern if it means they'll look right and actually fit.

Will be watching how their timber fares, looks good.

That bridge does look ace, can't wait to start erecting the structure at Darley, although I would hazard that we won't be able to match the view!

Ben

6. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

Im looking forward to seeing lots of pics of the Matlock works, trackwork,platform, signal box etc.

keep up the good work

one documentary I always used to watch a lot was the 1997 Channel 4 one about Peak rail and other railways, was very interesting.

Ive got an old peak rail book, pink cover from the mid 80s and in it there is pics of the BBC filming at Buxton in 1984 I think, Im sure we had it on video and I taped over it when I was a kid, does anyone know any more about it. Im sure it showed one of the tank engines running about.

it wasnt the train now departing series. from about 1987 which I still have/

Mike

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    yes there was that BBC north west documentary about the old buxton steam centre,had a few characters in it as well as the train now departing one,we could do with some more programmes like those on tv nowadays!

trackwork started today,sleepers laid out,more work tommorow, i wont be down till monday to do our side of the things,signalling bits....that gives the gang time to finish off the trackwork so we can get the point locks in etc.

hopefully this weekend we`l finish off our stores work,the location cupboard and lever frame supports,then monday we start on matlock from our side.

dom s&t

8. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

look forward to seeing some shots.

and if anyone has the bbc film from 1984 id love to see that too if possible,

agree theres some great characters on those old docs.
    I recentley spoke to the guy who I seen interviewed on both those old films, the chap was being interviewd and was talking about the level crossing at Darley dale in the 1997 c4 documentary. recognised him and got talking to him about it :)

thought id upload a shot of myself at Buxton taken in about 1984-5 I think.
    main reason I was posed on this loco is that my dad is called Harry too.

[​IMG]

Mike

9. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Now somewhere in the archives I think I have a copy of that one at Buxton, the one at Darley Dale I have seen recently. Some interesting characters in there, not least a close relation.. That would be the time he was living in the sleeping coach at Buxton..

10. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Hi Mike

Are you the chap I ran into at Cheddleton a few months back? I appeared in both documentaries along with Martyn Ashworth, and others.

The 1984 film nearly didn't happen at all. We had two working engines, Harry and Lytham No.1. On the day before, Harry broke a gauge glass and one of Lythams mudhole doors shifted while the engine was cooling down. Martyn was away and we were a bit stuck. By coincidence that evening we were approached by a local hippy character, Derbyshire's leading home brew whisky manufacturer, who was starving (Oh man, you got FOOD!) and willing to do welding in exchange for a few square meals. On his own account he had moved to Buxton for health reasons after the police at Alfreton came to believe that he was the man secretly cultivating cannabis in the police station front garden.

The following morning he welded up the mudhole door and ground it back to a proper fit, and Cap'n Pete blanked the broken gauge frame with a couple of 10p pieces filed flat. A close run thing.

Regards,

Tim

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    you were a young man then tim!,i remember martyn well as his son was one of my mates back then,seem to remember mr flint in there too on Harry!, used to enjoy the half hour wandering around the site after school everyday on the way to the bus stop down by the railway pub

memories eh!

dom

12. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

Hi Tim,

yes that was myself and my dad.

I knew I recognised your face so had to have a quick chat :)

as I say, those railway documentaries where always on in our house so I pretty well remember them word for word :)

you where also on the train now departing documentary from 1989, not being interviewed but you where lining up chairs at Matlock

when I used to watch all these programmes I always wanted to be a volunteer and get laying track, just that time, cash and location arnt too good for me, I had ambitions to volunteer at Steamport Southport, but just as I was getting old enough it closed :(

cheers

Mike

13. Petwall

Petwall Member

After recent posts regarding Darley Dale footbridge I thought some of you may like to see it. This is not just any old bridge but the absolutly genuine original Darley Dale footbridge that is to be erected in its original position.

Regards Pete
    Darley bridge.jpg

14. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

thanks for the photo Pete

the fact youve got the original back I think is absolutley brilliant!

cheers

Mike

15. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

With that picture I see what Ben meant now:
    I would say that Darley Dale bridge is about as different to this as it could possibly be in terms of components.
    This model looks a lot draughtier than the one half way up a Welsh mountain! It can probably afford to be.
    Looks tricky to rustproof with all those strips crossing over each other. I'd be interested to know if you can shotblast as is, or whether you need to take all the strips appart first in order to get it all quite rust free.

16. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

With that picture I see what Ben meant now:
    I would say that Darley Dale bridge is about as different to this as it could possibly be in terms of components.
    This model looks a lot draughtier than the one half way up a Welsh mountain! It can probably afford to be. [​IMG]
    Looks tricky to rustproof with all those strips crossing over each other. I'd be interested to know if you can shotblast as is, or whether you need to take all the strips appart first in order to get it all quite rust free.

17. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

Lots of interest, I'm quite excited!

Can shotblast as is, and this will be occurring shortly. We'll blast and paint the lot, even the rotted main girders. Should be an exotic shade of mid-grey soon. We will then take the first staircase to bits (well, drop the girder out, the lattice sides and handrails will remain intact), as a kind of test run for the work required on the other parts.

Waiting on getting access to the site at Darley Dale before the footings can go in, but in the meantime the plan is to get all the elements ready as a big meccano set, so when we do get on the ground, the rest can happen quickly.

Beautiful bridge, if I say so myself- which I do- very standard Midland product, of which a few remain- none in preservation that I know of though. Whatstandwell, Bulwell, Appleby. Any more? Still one at Guiseley?

We were fortunate to get the smoke hoods as well, these will be refitted to the arch. Just sorting the plates for the thing (number and works plates) and about to start removing the original lamp irons for a clean and paint, and then set about making the 2 original MR lamp housings we have in store fit.

It's a late one actually, 1911 built, and it's not (as is oft quoted) wrought iron; it's nice strips of mild steel rivetted together, resting on cast iron columns, and when it goes back up it'll be just the same.

You fellas both stuck your £1 in yet?

Ben

18. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

I will, wheres the link?

do any colour photos of Darley dale exist to work from for colours etc?

I agree it is a beautiful bridge.

Mike

19. Petwall

Petwall Member

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Thanks to Pete,Ian,John,Stuart and James, we removed all the old bolts from the steelwork that supports the lever framework for Matlock and started to repaint it at the same time, we also finished off the mechanical stores and attended a few other jobs as well,that was saturdays work

today the lads continued to fit out the track work to connect the point in between us and NR,the panels to connect come next,(Monday) we started to fit the s&t bits to the hand point end which will eventually be driven from the signal-box there,marked out where all the insulated joints need to go for the track circuiting which will be next weeks work,together with signal pulleys, tomorrow we move onto the new connecting point between us and NR and fit that out, then the rest of the week we move onto the current ground frame as the stretcher rods and soleplate need changing for insulated versions and the ferrules inserting into the insulated side of the lock rod.

its been dry and cold but we should get the main stuff done on S&T side before the rains on thursday.

we plan towards the end of the month to prewire the location cupboards for derwent bridge and the box up at rowsley to speed things up somewhat now weve space in the workshop.

il update more during the week

at Rowsley Robins been working on Zebedee which is in the shed being rebuilt,Mr Briddon senior and younger have been removing one of the class 14`s engines from its body for fettling,Bens been busy restoring items for the stations and carriage work with Harvey on some roofs,the class 50 and Hst lads have been busy most the week on their respective locomotives and Mr Dysons been restoring the paintwork on Church Lane`s gatework.