If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Social media shows a joint PR and EVR Twin Peaks deisel gala on 16&17th of April 2023

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...einwRwUdZWpJ19ub7QPiLaASUl&id=100083362060025

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    black5 likes this.
  2. alexl102

alexl102 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This is a great idea. They’re so close as it is, might as well pool resources. Even if they aren’t swapping locos, they’re only paying for one lot of advertising and promotion and offering punters a good deal

3. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I seem to remember a number of years ago the GCRN (now NTHC) and GCR tried this. I believe it wasn't continued because (if memory serves me correctly) I think the GCR actually got fewer passengers than they would normally expect on a diesel gala, because so many just went to the GCRN (I believe several diesels including a 66 (which at that time was pretty novel for a diesel gala) came in via the national connection which evidently seemed very attractive for plenty of punters). And the two closest stations of those two lines are about 6 miles away. I guess a key to a successful event for both railways is having equal attraction at both lines to make visiting both railways on the same day worthwhile. Best of luck to the organisers in pulling it off!

4. alexl102

alexl102 Member

When I looked on Google Maps earlier this year it said Peak Rail and EVR are about 15 mins drive apart, I’ve never done it but seems manageable on an event like this.

5. OldSchoolTrains2

OldSchoolTrains2 New Member

Definitely a manageable one by car or train. Reading this thread I've realised that on three of my four Ecclesbourne visits I've split the day between there and Peak, and twice I've fitted in the MRC as well. As all are quite some distance from me it made sense to maximise my time up there. A couple of years ago I think an EVR diesel gala and a Peak mixed traffic weekend coincided by (probably) coincidence and I'd have definitely attended both had I been free that weekend as getting two events in would've made the long journey more cost effective.

Hope this goes well, I do wonder if as fuel costs rise there will be more merit in neighbouring railways putting on joint events to make the most of people travelling to the area or to encourage more to, and whether it works out as an overall gain or the unbalanced experience the GCR had.

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The trackbed of the extension for the Ashover light railway gang is progressing nicely, the bed has been dug with the jcb, Terram membrane is going down, next comes ballasting and track lying, the turning triangle recreation of Ashover Butts is there plus what will be a little incline upto the old DDNGR platform and back down the line to the Ashover sheds, itl be a fairly decent little run that.

the Santas are well on now and all fully booked out, following after Xmas there is a mince pie running day which has also been advertised too, hopefully running back into Matlock town station.

the work on the water tower progresses behind the scenes, that’ll also be good to see breaking soil for that and a million other things to boot.

Attached Files:

7. Vulcan Works

Vulcan Works Member

Hopefully the event is a success and a sign of things to come, perhaps with closer co-operation between the railways and the sharing of expertise? Both railways have something to offer visitors and between them they have the makings of an interesting loco fleet. Due to, let’s say ‘a‘personality clash’ in the past, Peak Rail and the many groups based on the railway haven’t exactly worked hand in hand, to the immense frustration of many supporters. With different folks now in key roles, there are positive signs that PR is making progress again.

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Happy new year, plus a week by now.

over the Christmas aftermath, the railway operated a mince pie special running day back into Matlock town station again with the push pull setup then running around at riverside.

the track laying in the Ashover light railway extension is due to start again this week, more hardcore has been dropped in the base of the bit around the park and stone is due to be dropped this week with the first three panels of track going in, that gets them over the staff roadway and onto the bit by the reenactors trenches, then another three panels should get them to about the start of the triangle, il be following it over the coming weeks.

the s and t apart from helping out with some work on putting the Loco battery charger back into action have also been involved in getting the church lane toilet replaced from the garden shed as was to the ex Chinley North jcn original toilet, we’re just fitting it out now but it makes a nicer heritage feel to the overall look of the box.

the LMSca are busy with carriage work on one of the RMBs if I’ve got that right and the milk tank is finally getting some attention.

apart from that there are other work cleaning up locos, boiler work and frame work going on but I really couldn’t tell you what they are without numbers on the side (a much lamented joke by my colleagues)

Attached Files:

9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Now the rains gone away and any risk of flooding, by this time this week there should hopefully be some tracklaying going on the Ashover light railway formation across the picnic grounds, the Terram layer is down, the bottom ballast piles have been dropped ready and track is on site so hopefully some more news by next week on that.

A bit of toilet humour too . The ex Chinley privvy has been finished at Church lane, yes we do other things than signalling too, when we get a chance wel be repainting church lane box soon, then the gates,then darley gates (bit like the forth bridge really)

there is more news but to be honest I was that busy I only got to rush around and say happy new year to folks before shooting off on the next job on the list zooooooom.

boiler work on one of the tank locos continues, as does frame work on the frames off the very big Loco of Pete Watermans collection (yep I don’t know it’s number )

the pway, lineside and the LMSca are all out n about, I noted the milk tank has been lifted off it’s frame and work,has started upon its restoration, I think it’s getting its middle wheel back too as it was a six wheeler originally, but more on that lot as it occurs.

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  11. dggar

dggar New Member

12. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Many congratulations to the young PR volunteers who have won the Team of the Year Award at the HRA Annual Awards ceremony.

Dave

331796346_998339994909018_249056366447510966_n (1).jpg

13. Magna Junction

Magna Junction New Member

Been looking at the new timetable and it says passengers can now board at Matlock Riverside in the Rowsley South direction, does this mean the train goes across the River Derwent bridge from Matlock and then reverse into Riverside to run round?

14. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Yes that would seem to be the case for trains going north towards Rowsley, exactly as you describe.
    Cheers
    Dave

15. Magna Junction

All seams a bit of a faff to stop at a station that surely isn't used much when PR are running into Matlock P2?

16. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Surely it is because of the lack of run-round facilities at Matlock? So the move is needed (or you have to top and tail) anyway so may as well let people join the train.

17. Magna Junction

Thought they would just run round with the train stopped in the non platform road, maybe the track layout can be altered to make it a smoother operation.

18. jamesd

jamesd Member

If it’s got to stop to run round anyway, why not stop in the platform to let people get on or off?

Fireline likes this.
  19. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Make that 25 mins - Bank Holiday traffic in Matlock is nightmare

20. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't go though Matlock - go round the back via the B5023, A5012, B5056, A6