If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I received a letter today from the PDNPA today, apparently the planning application for a cycle track etc from Bakewell has been withdrawn

2. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I don't think it's been mentioned but Marple footbridge will be coming to Peak Rail for use at Rowsley South.

Dave

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ..... and with it the chance of some cash for a joint rail/bike bridge over the A6 which was being talked up in the Peak Express mag (that finally pitched up this week 2 months late with no explanation for the delay). Mind you, I've no idea how they intended to cater for bikes and steam trains together through Haddon Tunnel.

4. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

The link to the cycle track extension:

http://pam.peakdistrict.gov.uk/?r=NP/DDD/1111/1125&q=&s=413547

There is no reason given as to why it was withdrawn, the PDNPA list all letters / emails of support and objection. One of the letters supporting says they will use the route to cycle to work in Buxton (they live in Matlock) - not when it has snowed they won't!!

5. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    its not because the mags only three times a year now so that could be why the two months difference, ??? or am i wrong (Insert scratch head)

with Dave and Elliot carried on with wiring up Riverside today as well as making up some rods for the box,to a point where bar fitting an indicator upstairs and connecting phone circuits the box wiring is done, next job tommorow with Pete and John is the lineside cable connecting.

The Darley Dale folks have also been busy repainting the gates there,(thankyou chaps and ladies for the hard work :) )

6. philw2

philw2 Member

If I remember, previously on this thread, we decided that the A6 bridge area fell outside the jurisdiction of the PDNPA and therefore no planapp. has been lodged in respect of it. We are of course, hoping that PR will co-operate with the cyclists and incorporate a footpath/cycle track attached to the railway bridge which we hope, will form part of their planapp. to be submitted to the Derbyshire Dales Council soon, as part of the rail extension to Bakewell..

7. Sheff

Dom, the publication dates are in the back - this one was due in March.

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    aha! i must read backs of mags more :)

on other notes, it was quite busy today with the charter coming in, even though it was quite late coming of the network everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, we of the S&T however were buried deep in the bowls of Riverside box wiring up the lineside circuits etc,so had only a few breaks to attend faults and see the charter, looked nice coming in from NR and also had a chat with our opposites over the fence who came down to see how we were getting along.

with the good weather most departments at Rowsley have been busy painting, spoke to John on the delacher vans and saw the HST and LMSCA working away on their respective projects.

stay cool all

9. philw2

philw2 Member

There are a couple of pics of 70013 at Rowsley yesterday on RAILWAY FORUM (gallery). She's not on the turntable though..

10. philw2

philw2 Member

Just seen the vids of 70013 at Rowsley on the turntable (below: Mainline Activity) Espectacular!

Peak Rail throw two sixes. Move forward ten places...:popcorn:

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    thanks from all of us vols down the line :), nice vids on youtube too all.

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    quickie update;

S&T

spent friday recutting electric lever locks at Riverside which are all completed,a few have been taken home to reseal up again the old notches,next job the locking.

13. daveannjon

14. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Good video. The Great Longstone video is back online "It only stops for her" (1962)

15. Sheff

... and here it is .... [video=youtube;oaSWV7H4feQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaSWV7H4feQ[/video]

16. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Impressive steam heat leak on her train!

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    carried on friday with Pete and John working on Riverside locks, much swearing and lots of fettling to boot, some minor jobs for next week to do, John is looking at drilling some extra holes in the rockers to alleviate some sticking of rods etcetera, the C beams are ready for fitting and we also cleared out the old Darley stores with Jim and David from telecomms yeilding a few bits to be used at Riverside.

18. daveannjon

Sunday 17th June is the Peak Park Preserved Bus Gathering at Rowsley South - bit of a mouthful but it's the second year and last year's event was very successful with about 50 vehicles attending.

Cheers
    Dave

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Yesterday was a busy day with the bus gathering,so busy in fact that the sites car park was full before the first train and remained so all day

Lots if vintage buses on display and taking people in trips to Matlock ,Bakewell and around the area all day long swapping around every time a bus returned to Rowsley

Plus the weather was great compared to Saturdays downpours

Elsewhere S and T spent the weekend working at Riverside on locks and sundry other tasks

20. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Yes, I had a good day there yesterday. Got a few bus rides in (only one "required" bus though - the 1947 build Derby Daimler - I don't count anything with the engine at the wrong end of the bus, plus my first trip into Matlock proper on the railway and a ride on the narrow gauge at Rowsley. Several people of the buses commented on the number of pot-holes in the car park at Rowsley - might be something for the railway to think about (God help them if TBirdFrank takes his bus!)