If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Good to have a 4F back at Rowsley. According to Keith Miles's book on 17D there were 9 4Fs allocated at the time of the shed's closure in April 1964. I dare say some took water there when it became a servicing facility before full closure of the line. I think 4422 was a Templecombe loco in the early 1960s.

The recent report about Peak Rail in Steam Railway is incorrect on several fronts by the way.

Dave

2. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    i didnt read the article - can you elaborate the errors sir ??o_O

the 4f wont be the only thing drinking loads of water if this heatwave continues, i repainted the main body of the darley small cabin this morning before it became too hot, mr Lathrope will paint the windows and the boards when he has time to.

dom

3. MRHloco

MRHloco New Member

Re: The Peak Rail Article

As a Peak Rail member and one who is a regular STEAM RAILWAY subscriber, perhaps I can be of help?

If the article in question is the one I think it is, it could be something to do with the old railway lines in the Buxton locality - Leek and Manifold etc - but I don't know everything about that.

Alternatively, STEAM RAILWAY could be nervous about what the cycle trail plan for the Matlock-Buxton route may mean for Peak Rail. On at least one occasion in the past, they did publish a headline to the effect of "Peak Rail: The Dream Is Over" or something like that.

They are correct in acknowledging that returning to Buxton itself would be nearly prohibitively difficult. But, there again, Miller's Dale would be a reasonable far future target - as the article correctly mentions, the respective parties are at least talking to each other to make sure that the former double track can be used by both parties.

Re: The 4F

I only just learnt this news through this forum and I'm delighted! The perfect - and I mean perfect - motive power for Peak Rail in general. Austerity Saddletanks have every reason to be the mainstay but a 4F fits the authenticity level like a glove. And it can probably take the heavier trains in high summer. It's just a question, now, of getting this one overhauled first!;)

Come to think of it, I regularly visit Railways Remembered film shows in Sheffield thrice a year and Roger Hallett is usually there. On one previous occasion, when I questioned him about the motive power situation, he did suggest the possibility of that 4F coming here. As Pete Waterman's the main shareholder, I should think he'll be pleased too.

On a final note, I'm amazed by how well Lord Phil has be coping so far - the only steam engine currently in use at Rowsley and no problems as yet!

4. daveannjon

The main error Dom was the assertion that PR had sold all their land at Buxton, not true, although there may be the possibility of some land swops with the new developer of the site.

Dave

5. daveannjon

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    S&T

John and myself carried on today looking at a fault at darley which weve installed some monitoring gear to help narrow down,changed a cable and then proceeded upto Riverside to carry on unsnagging signal wires etcetera, quite a few of us are now starting to play with VOIP too.

The weekend unfortunately I wasnt down was apparently quite busy as it was the Warring Forties event, certainly looks good from the pictures ive seen, i believe there was also a flypast of the Vulcan on its way over to lincolnshire which wasnt connected to the event but id have loved to see it.

8. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I think the Vulcan was on its way from Oulton Park to Somewhere in Kent

9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Thanks luv, im told theres some video on youtube of it knocking about, certainly a few pics on Facebook of the pyrotechnics on the day from the battle, eventually il find a way to link them from this pc or the iphone and get them up on here.o_O

10. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

11. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    very interesting reading indeed woodster :eek:

according to the Peak Rail facebook page 14901 and Penyghent were planned to haul the last train of the day :)

elsewhere with Mr Dysons help the other day we completely repainted Church Lane in off cream and maroon , little bit of woodwork to repair when next down and shes a good one.

13. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Is it this weekend that a Class 37 is coming to the railway

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    according to the net it was cancelled by the tour operator through lack of traction

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Just a reminder while on the subject of events down the line;

1st September – Fire Engine Rally
    A chance to see at first hand a static display of both vintage and modern fire engines all of which have been/are used by the Fire Services around the country.

see Peak Rail website for details
    http://www.peakrail.co.uk/specialevents/

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Hello all. Now I'm back of hols I can get back to updating again

Called in at rowsley today and had a chat with mr Briddon senior and younger who were doing driver training on the class 14, as well as working on the voltage regulator upon the Hudswell. The HST lads were busy doing some painting and other jobs on their collection in the display shed and the lads were busy needle gunning the chassis of the J94 in the loco shed as it undergoes its restoration and overhaul

For the latest on Andys collection ; http://www.andrewbriddonlocos.co.uk/the-news/191-news14aug13.

Elsewhere folks were doing tree clearance and in between all this was me scratching around trying to find a capacitor I knew we'd misplayed somewhere in the stuff we'd cleared out of the old container in the south yard at Darley

Said item found I attended a few faults a bit if point maintenance and then cracked on with some location painting and tackled getting number five signal at riverside up and running which it is now thankfully. That leaves some rubbing locking rods to attend to next time

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Sidelines;

A couple of other interesting dates for the calendar;

Sunday 22nd September; Ford vintage motor car rally in the rowsley picnic site.
    Sunday 29th September; Historical comercial vehicle run will be calling in at Rowslery on their way past around lunch time, im told around 50 vehicles could be there.

Next year 23rd march 2014, a date for the calendar as theres another railtour incoming with Braunton this time from London to Rowsley and back.

Lineside and Gardens.

If anyone has any bulbs,plants etcetera they would like to donate, the gardens and lineside gang are after any split bulbs etcetera for Rowsley flower beds, if you have ,then bring them along to Rowsley station and see a member of the station.

19. gravedanger

gravedanger New Member

The Chesterfield Branch meeting on Tuesday September 17th is cancelled for three good reasons :-
    1. I will be away on holiday so cannot set the room up
    2. The first reserve will be having a cataract operation the day before, so he can't make it
    3. The second reserve (my brother) is doing a slide show in Shenfield (Essex not Sheffield, South Yorkshire) again the day before. This is not normally a problem - he has driven back on the Tuesday morning when he has previously done a show there but, this time, his host has arranged a model railway visit for the Tuesday morning.
    At the same time the speaker I had booked for October has had to cry off so my September speaker (Les Nixon) has agreed to postpone his visit until October (Tuesday 20th) with a show concentrating on Scotland.

We are open to all comers - you don't need to be a member, admission is free with funds being raised by donation and raffle held during the interval. We start at 7.30pm and aim to finish by 10.00. Our venue is the upstairs function room at 'The New Inn' Mansfield Road, Hasland, Chesterfield S41 0JJ where the food is ridiculously cheap (but the beer less so)

I am David Grainger - Branch Secretary

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    bit of news from the Renown & Repulse website,courtesy Dominic Jackson with link;

http://www.renownrepulse.com/news-reports/latest-news-entry.html#sthash.AOrsJZSG.dpbs

"Following on from news and developments earlier this year on the work we have commissioned to build two CU2 field divert units for use in 50029 and 50030, we can report with great pleasure that this project reached a successful conclusion today. Our contractors invited 50030 Electrical Officer Andy Rowlands to view the rebuilt units, and demonstrated as the relay in each unit was energised and gave output to the correct terminals. Each unit was tested multiple times with no problems arising. We were pleased to note that our contractors have managed to replicate the original solder tracks from the sample unit supplied as the template. Now that we have taken delivery, the units can be taken on site for trial fitting and cabling up, before being stored securely off site until such time as they are needed. Photos courtesy of Mark Brown at IES. This work has not been cheap and we would greatly appreciate the support of Class 50 enthusiasts either by joining RRRG and buying shares or supporting us via our online shop"

good work all,keep it coming :)