If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

This scheme has fantastic potential for partnership working with the Cycleway. Peak Rail, and the cycle hire folk if it's managed properly. I had a look at the exhibition at the Whitworth Institute yesterday, unstaffed and no feedback forms provided but all of the folk I spoke to there were keen for the railway to return. Another thought, why shouldn't the disabled or elderly be able to enjoy the trail, and the train is the best way to do that job.
    Dave

oddsocks and charterplan like this.
  2. daveannjon

pedal02.jpg

From the exhibition showing the A6 section in Rowsley.

Dave

3. philw2

philw2 Member

Sharing in tunnels may involve a 'tunnel within a tunnel'. The cycleway could be formed by corrugated steel segments protecting users from smoke, fumes and other risks.

As far as adjacent footpaths in the open-air are concerned, these have existed scince raiways were invented..

4. philw2

philw2 Member

PR could also offer 18Bikes a cycle retrieval and return service for one-way hires..

5. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I would broadly welcome the cycleways. I use the current ones quite often for pleasure rides but to be honest my resulting economic input is minimal. Perhaps a car parking fee in Ashbourne or Parsley Hay and a Magnum if is a good day. The tunnel through Ashbourne has the effect of taking people away from the town centre and the trails peter out miles from Buxton. Some thought on maximising local economic input from day trippers would be useful.

I have ridden the Avon Valley and the Welsh Highland cycle tracks alongside rail lines and don't really see any great problem with combined use through the tunnels. In fact if you are walking its more enjoyable to go round the tunnels.

I work in London and cycling holidays in the peak district are quite popular with the youngsters. If they come up for a week then one day on Peak Rail and one day at Chatsworth seems likely.

6. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Firstly an update on the Renown and Repulse locomotives from the gangs work diary, thanks to Mr Jackson for the link;

http://www.renownrepulse.com/news-reports/entry/2014/08/29/work-party-report-24th-august.html

S&T

Started the day off today by going to riverside to have another go at the fault on the signal detection. After much strapping around off cables to try things and meggering it transpires the cables are alright. So in the end with the fault still looking like a cable fault I tried something different and charged the battery up from the new generator Pete procured. Low and behold it transpires the load was dragging down the remainder of the battery to make it look like a short on the cables. At that point Mr fisher appeared to do some more pruning so I followed him down to the bridge to sort out a cross in two of the mechanical signal wires by the loc. There's still one to sort out on the platform ramp opposite the cabin where the joint has come close to a pulley wheel but il get that next time. Johns been busy wiring the light in on the cabins end as was the case when the cabin originally sat at luffenham too and soon I must start on the toilet downstairs

The plan after that was to go look at another fault on darleys treadle but John had fixed that on the weekend (a life expired joint) and thoughts are that we may later on reuse the redundant tele cable if not needed and run it from the south yard loc to the distant loc.

The afternoon passing by quickly I decided to head off upto rowsley to start removing the old window panes from the cabin and managed To get the Matlock end nearly completed ,degrouted and boarded up before finishing the day image.jpg

Lastly courtesy of Mr D Sharp PRA

London Midland Great Escape offer is back on from 1-21 September

http://www.londonmidland.com/great-escape/great-escape/

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Quickie update;

I believe so im informed that Peak class-Penyghent has gone to join the upcoming festivities at Derby and was hauled out by a class 57 down the Ambergate branch last night. No pictures as yet but I'm sure there's folks out there could put a link up for me

Elsewhere I've just finished repainting the bracket signals at Darley Dale in this nice weather and also the loading / unloading trackpad at the side of Mr Briddons shed at Darley has also been relaid. Trackwork continues on the shed approach sorting out the good from the bad stuff ready for relaying

8. Jackt18

Jackt18 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  10. daveannjon

There was a demonstration of Strail rubberised crossing products, done by SRS Rail, for Network Rail at Rowsley on Thursday. NR folk arrived by PR dining train from Matlock.

Dave
    strails.jpg

Corbs and Martin Perry like this.
  11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Thanks for the update Dave I wouldn't have been able to get any pics as was on nights :(. So much appreciated;

While on if anyone's going to Etches Park tommorow and gets any pics of the event and D8&D4 if you would like to post then please do as it looks like I won't be going. However I'm going to try for the Silk Museum as it's also opening its doors to the Midland Study Groups collection , See below;

From the Derbyshire Railways e-group.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: 11 September 2014 17:27
    Subject: [derbyshirerailways] Midland Railway Study Centre - Open Day this Saturday
    To: Derbyshire Railways <derbyshirerailways@yahoogroups.com>
    Dear all,

Just a quick reminder that the Midland Railway Study Centre, located within Derby's Silk Mill Museum, will be throwing open its doors and offering guided tours behind the scenes on Saturday. This event is to celebrate both Derby175 (noting of course that East Midlands Trains' open day at Etches Park is also being held this Saturday) and English Heritage's annual Heritage Open Days marking the Silk Mill's status as a World Heritage Site.
    Subscribers to the Derbyshire Railways list, their friends and families will all be welcome. If you still haven't had the chance to visit the Study Centre and see what we've got, Saturday is an ideal time to come and find out all about it. Please make yourself known as a subscriber to this list if it is your first visit.
    Doors open at 10:30 and we'll be conducting tours through the day until16:00. The Museum's famous "Midland in Miniature" 7mm model railway will be operating in the afternoon.
    Best wishes,
    Dave
    Dave Harris
    Co-ordinator, Midland Railway Study Centre
    www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A few shots of today's Derby Etches Park event at which D8 attended. More photos to come

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Also attended the Midland Railway Study groups open day at the Silk Museum in Derby image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    20140913_155712.jpg 20140913_155712.jpg 20140913_162128.jpg 20140913_154652.jpg Some more shots today at Derby including the stalls of tge LMSCA and Peak Rail

Attached Files:

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    image.jpg With thanks to Barry Carlisle and also to Steven Alcock for the attached picture of D4& D8

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    very quick bit of info as this weeks update may come a little later than usual thanks to kids birthday parties etc, there is planned to be a flyby of the two lancasters over derwent dam on sunday,the last time this occured was fifty years ago, expected time is around 4.45pm, local news but thought you may all like to know.

have a good weekend all

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Smaller update this week as thanks to family duties I had a Friday with David and Ruth making a start on the windows for Rowsley cabin, the first two end windows are now finished and next time we can carry on with the larger off the end windows now we know what were doing again :)

Ruth has been painting the frame up into is final colours and I've been looking around for something to finish off the diagram for the box to which end I've found a nice picture frame in an antique store in Bridgnorth at the weekend

Apart from maintenance and other bits Robs been continuing to remove the waste spoil from in front of Mr Briddons shed so that tracklaying can progress and the weekend was also the diesel gala but not being around I've no piccies unfortunately. Only a small video of D8 heading the down train away from Darley with 14901 tailing so if anyone has any then please post

Lastly Ian and John have been at Derby this weekend on an Institution of Railway Signal Engineers training event held in Derby, il report on that next as I believe Ian has some piccies too

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The Ashover Light Railway Group have gained planning permission for the erection of a facility building at Rowsley, work will start hopefully next month.

Were busy on S and T with many fronts, cable works at Darley in connection with landscaping/soil removal works, the box glazing continues thanks to the hard work by David and Ruth and my back yard resembles a workshop with one thing or another, building a token cathing post to make the signaller at Church Lane`s job a bit easier and safer :)

20. seawright

seawright New Member

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "token cathing post"?