If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Firstly thanks mr Delamar, always welcome and glad you enjoyed the day out even if the weather was up and downish :). The Shunters lads did enjoy it

An update link from mr Jackson on the renown and repulse locomotive works next;

http://www.renownrepulse.com/news-reports/entry/2015/04/21/working-party-report-19th-april-2015.html

Lastly on my own department Dave and myself started to fit the solid wires to the point operating boxes and signal wheels the other day, not easy at all running presprung wire that wants to revert to being a coil
    Again :)

There's still some wire slings to make up which go around the wheels on two of the boxes but that should be a Saturday morning job along with fit a rod I didn't get round to last time. The next big bit of work is to start fettling up the self adjusting weights and Mr Briddon is kindly making us the missing bits on the gear for that .

David has been working on church lane doing some woodworking on the upper handrails on the balcony

image.jpg image.jpg

2. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Some of Mr Briddons stock has moved upto Darley Dale to his shed site with more to follow later on, he's continuing with the end purlins before the work on the cladding can commence.

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.briddon/posts/10152807404160840

The railcar that came from the Severn Valley which came for work has been moved into the shed at Rowsley and is being worked upon. image.jpg

More work tomorrow on s and t and were building the balancing weight supports in Rowsley workshop so hopefully a few pics tomorrow evening .

4. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Locomotives

Class thirty one "Athena" has had a run up and test midweek, the HSTs 08 was being worked on and ticking over in the yard today also and I spotted the Renown an Repulse chaps working away too

S and T

I spent the day between showers thunder and sunshine making up the support brackets for the self adjusting weights and the guide wheels out of some fairly decent C section scrap metal which I welded feet onto the other day at home to save time.

I also managed to eventually get the old seized bushes out the weight bars, not with the small hydraulic press which was the first choice, nor the big one ex Buxton we have as I'd still had to have fitted the bed plate to hold the work which required a second set of hands and not with the workshops big press but by drilling out the old one with several smaller broach holes till the old but could be punched out by hammer, annoyingly I ha a broach of the exact size needed but as typical it snapped after drilling the two main pin holes on one pair of the supports, I remember thinking I really should drill the other two pin holes first before

Tackling the seized pins -but no! And that's when murphys law struck and took out the broach bit, ner mind il pick up another one for next weekend and finish the two main pin holes

I've measured up the main pins that support the weight bars and go through the supports and will lathe down some bar to 22 mm for next weekend and drill the split pin holes too.

After another rain shower I nipped upto Darley to call in on Mr Briddon who has machined up one of the clutch bits that fit between the bars and help to keep the weights in adjustment, it still needs another one for the other arm and Pete is on with this and the v shaped blocks too , I've taken it home to drill out the bottom hole midweek

I also had a quick look at the holes on top of the weights where the extra weights bolt ontop (hence why the weights look more below than above the bars) and found they've been gummed up with rust and whatnot over the years so I think running a handrill and auger down them should clear out the gunk and allow the extra weights to be fitted ontop.

image.jpg

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    AVIVA COMMUNITY FUND - DARLEY DALE MUSEUM
    The Derwent & Wye Valley Railway Trust has applied to the Aviva Community Fund for a £1000 grant to redecorate and refresh the museum at Darley Dale station. The project has been accepted by Aviva, but we now need YOUR HELP for it to be successful. There will now be a public voting stage and the cause which receives the most votes will receive a grant. There is stiff competition, and to have a chance of being awarded the £1000 WE NEED YOUR VOTES.
    Please help by going to the Aviva Community Fund websitehttps://community-fund.aviva.co.uk/voting/Project/View/1426. You will be asked to complete a short registration before you cast your vote. Public voting was supposed to open on 1st May 2015, but there were some IT glitches. Voting closes on 30th May so we need to gather as many votes as possible in this period. Please encourage friends and family members to vote for the proposal.
    Many thanks for your support.

6. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Duly voted for, good luck. :)

7. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Class 101 DMBS 51427 arrived on Thursday from the GCR, presumably for a refurb.

Dave

8. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A bit confusing but voted for eventually. Best of luck with it.

9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Many thanks. It is a bit confusing I must agree,

Quick note ;I see from social media that West Coast Rail have had their suspension reversed,good news but as far as the incoming charter this weekend is concerned it is still cancelled ,WCR are according to the reversal due to a phased back return to business,we wish them a speedy and safe return to usual business and hopefully soon a new date for the charter, we'll let you know as soon as we do

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    From the Peak Rail Website;Class 31 in operation.

Tuesday 12th & Wednesday 13th May 2015
    Steam & Diesel-hauled trains are running between Rowsley South and Matlock Platform 2 on all the above days. The locomotives in use will be Hunslet ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0 saddle tank No. 3883 Lord Phil and Class 31 Diesel No 31270. Normal timetable and fares will apply for these days. Please contact 01629 580381 for further information.

also worth noting ;

NEW FOR 2015 THE NIGHT TRAIN –
    Looking for a night out with a difference?
    Wet you’re whistle with a selection of locally sourced Real Ales and a variety of alcoholic and soft drinks all served at pub busting prices from our onboard bar, whilst enjoying two steam hauled trips aboard our special evening train.
    Enjoy a hot meal or purchase light snacks available from our restored restaurant car to compliment you’re drink. (not included in the ticket price)
    Why not leave the car at home and join your journey at Matlock with connecting services with East Midlands Trains from Nottingham and Derby, ensuring everyone can relax and enjoy the evening.
    Fares are £10, with a Free pint per ticket on all tickets booked in advance!
    First departure from Rowsley South Station at 7pm.
    Operating on Saturday 13th June, 11th July, 8th August and 5th September 2015.
    For further information and bookings please contact us on 01629 580381.

il update more tommorow after a bit more S&T work.

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    image.jpg Firstly a link to Iplayer and a recent programme covering the end of WW2,programme also shows the railway and Rowsley.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05vn42c/ve-day-first-days-of-peace-11052015

Penyghent

The weekend saw the final runs by class 44 Penyghent one of our stable locomotives as she's due for heavy overhaul,class 31 Athena is planned to step into the roster in her place

With no incoming steam charter at the weekend due to WCR ban last month from mainline operations there was still a good turnout at the weekend from visitors, the HST sheds were open for folks to see the displays of their locomotives , I noted the Renown and Repulse loco gang and the LMSCA working away and myself it was a case of finish the self adjusting balancing weight frames from the NRM which form part of the Rowsley turnover frame , then some maintenance at Riverside.

I believe a new date for the railtour is in the stages of early planning so as soon as we know youl know

image.jpg

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    PRESS RELEASE - 12 MAY 2015

Dr Pete Waterman OBE DL is delighted to announce that he has reached an agreement with Peak Rail to base his Waterman Railway Heritage Trust assets at its Rowsley site.

Over the coming months, Pete expects to announce exciting plans to overhaul his trust’s steam locomotives, return them to active steaming and in the process provide structured training opportunities for young people interested in a career in the railway industry.

It has always been Pete’s passion to see young people given the chance to learn engineering skills and over the last 30 years or so, he has provided such opportunities to dozens of people via apprenticeships.

Pete said “I have long been an admirer of Peak Rail and they were a naturalchoice for me when I decided to relocate from the Crewe Heritage Centre. In my time at Crewe, I’m proud to have created hundreds of skilled jobs by providing investment that no-one else had the vision or foresight to do. I intend to work with Peak Rail to continue that tradition”.

Chris86 and philw2 like this.
  13. philw2

philw2 Member

Including Thornbury Castle?

14. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    The report says overhaul, rather than restore, so I take that to mean 5224 and 5553.

15. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Does Waterman Heritage Railway Trust have a website? I've googled and couldn't find anything

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I'm sure there was a site but from browsing another forum it mentions it hasn't been active recently and was took down.

Other items

Peak Railway Association presents:-
    Rob Foxon "Railways Remembered" Film Show
    Monday 18 May 2015

The Central Library Theatre (near The Crucible), Tudor Square, Sheffield S1 1XZ.
    Doors open 1900, show starts 1930
    Tickets on the door £7.50.

"LOCO-SPOTTING DAYS" - British Railways in the 1950/60's

This new programme of rare archive films remembers a post-war golden age of steam on British Railways when boys crowded the end of station platforms taking engine numbers, when "Railway Roundabout" was compulsive viewing on BBC children's television and British Transport films were screened in schools, encouraging many into a career on the railways. It was the age of the Ian Allan Loco-Spotters books when a boy's most prized possession was his Combined Volume (costing 10/6d!) and when most wanted to be engine drivers! So why not bring along pen and paper, or even your old spotters book and record the numbers of some of those elusive locos that got away, but can still be seen on historic film footage, for all time!

Highlights of the evening's programme are:-

• Ian Allan - ABCs a loco-spotting phenomenon
    • Steam on British Railways - the 1950s British Railways you like to remember
    • Careers in Nationalised Transport - in the days when boys could become engine drivers
    • Loco Spotters' Specials - and enthusiasts' excursions
    • Great Central Steam - steam action on the Great Central main line in the 1950s
    • Railway Roundabout - the changing scene on British Railways as seen on BBC children's TV. Compulsive viewing for all young railway enthusiasts.
    • Steam Finale - the end of steam on British Railways in the North West in 1968
    • Plus much more

Interval drinks are available (please pre-order at the bar on arrival).

In the foyer will be our usual sales stand with bargain-priced second-hand
    books, model railway items, DVDs & videos.

I hope you can join us for what should be an entertaining evening, and a reminder that all are welcome to
    come along to our Sheffield Branch programme of monthly speakers on the first monday of every month.
    Details of forthcoming meetings, and directions to The Harlequin Pub (real ales), can be found at:

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/SheffieldBranch

or pick up a copy of the 2015 Programme from the foyer.

Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

d.sharp@sheffield.ac.uk

17. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer

I wonder if Mr Waterman is going to be looking for paid staff?

I would happily retrain- I should have done an apprenticeship instead of taking the route I did.......

Chris

18. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Age shouldn't restrict you on becoming an apprentice!

Chris86 likes this.
  19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I see from our website that the Peak Forester rail tour has now been retimed to the 19 th of July

THIS WEEKS TRAIN SERVICES
    Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th May 2015

Steam & Diesel-hauled trains are running between Rowsley South and Matlock Platform 2 on all the above days. The locomotives in use will be Hunslet ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0 saddle tank No. 3883 Lord Phil and Class 31 Diesel No 31270. Normal timetable and fares will apply for these days. Please contact 01629 580381 for further information.

Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th May 2015
    HERITAGE SHUNTERS TRUST – THE 2015 SPRING SHUNTER GALA

Come and ride behind various diesel shunters from the Heritage Shunters Trust collection at Rowsley South Station. Featuring 2953, 2854, 03099, D2139, 03113, 07001, 08016, 09001, PWM 654 all on brake van rides (subject to availability). Fares £5.00 per trip or £15.00 for an all day rover (concessions for senior citizens and children available on the day), fares include a guided tour of the workshop and sheds to view the ongoing restoration work. For further information visitwww.heritageshunters.co.uk

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    A few from the weekends running including the Heritage Shunters Trust locomotives

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg