If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Spent the day cutting and drilling the bullhead rails that will form the support framework under Rowsley cabin for the self adjusting weight gear and the pulley wheels that carry the wires to the signals. Thanks to the shed chaps for their assistance in torching and lifting too

The next job on the list is to cut and
    Make the locking up for the frame in the locking trays, this will be in a weeks time.
    image.jpg
    Engines and locos

Very busy up at Rowsley today. The other DMU set was being worked upon with much welding taking place to repair around the windows where water ingress has blown the outer skin, the bad sections have been removed and new sections are being put in. It's certainly getting better than when it arrived
    image.jpg
    Elsewhere chaps were cleaning up various bits of fittings for locos which all need fettling before being out back together again and a start has been made on the mezzanine stairs for the upper office of the shed. These will be made from steel frameworks with hardwood steps.

Had a quick chat with Ben from the LMSCA whose been busy with the NRM coach, there'l be a proper write up on this in the coming month so il leave the detailed bits till then but work continues on fitting out the insides apace. They did well last week at the Bus event with a lot
    Of visitors and some good donations.

Lastly inbetween a bit of maintenance up at Darley I managed to chat to Andy and Pete who were busy working on a compressor , had a brew and managed to get asked by a lady on the crossing if I could cut her some Dog daisies to go in one of the local Wells dressing displays, always pleased to help where we can.

2. JorgeR

JorgeR New Member

Any idea as to whether the GCR's DMU will be getting its 2-character headcode blinds reinstated?

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I have asked the gents, will see what they say,it depends on the customers requirements in the end though.

4. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    We start this weeks update with a bit from the LMSCA on 7828

http://lmsca.org.uk/blog/2015/07/7828-round-up/

Myself I spent this week making a start on the locking for rowsley cabin and some pics are attached below, this is only a small job as there's only four locking rods to the shunting frame, we also ha a look at sorting out a drifted forward sleeper on a set of points at riverside . image.jpg

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    image.jpg Busy day today which started with repainting the crossing gates at Darley Dale and many brews supplied by Mr Wooley the signaller ( with grateful thanks). Then it was time to head upto rowsley where John was tracing the run of the cables with the cat and Genny where the foundations for the signal cabin will go before we dig any holes, after that I made a continuation on the locking on the turnover frame while David started tackling the outside bargeboards prior to repainting the final coats. On the locking which is all in now we only have to drill the remaining bar pins that keep the locking in the trays and reweld up one of the tray mounts on the rear where the hole has been realigned to take the set screws that hold the trays to the support legs.

Elsewhere I noted the LMSCA and the heritage Shunters hard at it as were the lads in the loco shed on the other DMU and mr Briddon at Darley dale but I didn't get time to talk much to find out how their projects were going. image.jpg

Kinghambranch likes this.
  7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Just a reminder about the weekend and the incoming railtour;

19th July – Rail Tour “The Peak Forester” (Rescheduled)
    Sunday 19th July 2015 – NO PEAK RAIL SERVICES
    PEAK RAIL WILL NOT be operating any services on Sunday 19th July due to the rail tour hauled by Steam Locomotive B1 class 4-6-0 No. 61306 “Mayflower” scheduled for approx 1406 at Matlock Platform 1 (arriving Rowsley South at approx 1430). However Peak Rail’s stations at Matlock Platform 2 and Darley Dale will be opened from approx 1300, together with Rowsley South Station which will have the shop and buffet facilities open from approx 1200. The rail tour will return from Rowsley South to Matlock Platform 1 at approx 1645.
    Please contact 01629 580381 for further information.

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I'm seeing messages via Facebook saying the tour is now off due to increased risk of setting fires on the mainline. :(.

When I know more il update you

9. mikechant

mikechant Member

Peak Rail website now says that normal services will run on Sunday 19th.

10. bluediamondman

bluediamondman New Member

According to Peak Rail's website trains will be running to the normal timetable on Sunday as the incoming railtour has been cancelled.

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Lets start off this weeks report with a little S And T update

Finally finished the over wires walkway at Riverside and then re-treated the main track wooden walkway too before heading upto Darley to do some location work and finish them locking tray pins off at Rowsley too from last week

Before the close of my play I managed to chat with the HST chaps who were changing some hoses on the 08 and carrying on with rebuilding the bodywork on the ex WSR shunter , I also managed to have a chat with Kev working on E1 and also the good folks of the LMSCA who are nearing the completion of the NRMs LMS coach, fantastically done interior woodwork and upholstery, really amazing to see why work has gone into that coach ;)

I'm sure there'l be a full update very soon, I was treated to seeing the interior lighting tried for the first time image.jpg image.jpg
    Seriously nice new upholstery, still a little way to go folks but nearly there

oddsocks and Michael Anderson like this.
  12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  13. JorgeR

JorgeR New Member

Any news on the DMU restoration?

14. JorgeR

JorgeR New Member

Any news on the DMU restoration?

15. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

If you mean the Met-Camm 101 from the GCR, the body is being repaired and all windows are out. Another 108 was due to arrive yesterday.

Dave

16. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Are any DMUs staying?

17. seawright

seawright New Member

What provision is there at Matlock to exchange tokens for trains transiting to Peak rail from NR and vice versa so that the Derwent Valley service is not compromised?

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    There is a no signaller token system in operation on the branch so that in theory once a train has dropped into the running loop (up and down Riverside single line) or the siding the token can be reentered into the machine there and the branch service can then collect its token back at ambergate

seawright likes this.
  19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Firstly a reminder that this weekend is our Warring forties weekend and I've attached a link below that will detail all the events etc.

Myself I've been busy today fitting the annets key lock to the rowsley frame and a few other jobs but did get time to chat with the gang in the shed restoring the dmu cars,which are at the rubbing down and filling stage prior to the repainting starting, I also spotted the LMSCA very busy on the NRM carriage which nears completion and spotted the other coach stabled out by the shed for the weekends activities for the renactors, the HST were busy on the ex WSR shubter they've been busy rebuilding from its very rusted seaside storage elsewhere and I finished the day off with a brew with Roy who was busy up at Darley Dale painting and linesiding the foliage

Il be down with the family tommorow so will post some pics of the event up WP_20150731_14_37_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150731_14_37_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150731_14_45_00_Pro.jpg WP_20150731_09_14_19_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  20. seawright

seawright New Member

I like the in theory. Do you know whether it has worked that way in practice, or has there been teething troubles?