If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pembrey country park

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by tuffer5552, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

Last summer we visited pembrey country park in Carmarthenshire (?), nr kidwelly. We later learnt that it was a converted explosives factory, explaining the masses of 2 foot track running around.
    Is the remaining track original or was it relaid to be a display? It seems strange to relay it as there was no signage and it was all on back routes, but some of it seemed to be in far to good nick to be 60+ yrs old. Help please.

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I remember a family holiday back in 1994, when we had a ride on a train in the park. I had a chat with the staff and was given a leaflet about the history. I'll try to find it, and come back with some more detail.

3. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

There is a 7.25 and 5 inch circuit which is a model engineers club, but the original factory had an enormous (ish) network of 2ft stuff.

4. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I visited Pembrey in the days when the 2'0" line was running - using a Motor Rail hired ex Keef following the demise of the transmission on the resident Hudson loco. The railway ran in a loop. The majority of the line was new track, but (if I recall correctly) a few sections used the original track, which was set in concrete. There was a large amount of further original 2'0" railway which was not used by the "leisure era" railway operation.

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

isn't this where "MArgaret" is parked?

6. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

If it's not used, maybe they'd sell it to a heritage railway if it's good enough? The L&BR will hopefully need rail in the next few years!!

7. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It looks rather ropey from pics that I've seen on Flickr.

I've tried searching online - but I can't find much - on the system formerly at Pembrey. Keef's book makes a reference to it, but are there any known sources of images/maps/stock of any of the network in operation - either the more recent circuit or even better, the rather more extensive earlier tracks?

Note that the current miniature railway is a raised-level 3.5"/5" + ground level 5" 7.25" track and operated by the Llanelli and District Model Engineers.

8. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

Didn't realise that a recent ish 2foot railway had run there. Was it during the time of the country park or whilst it was waste land?

9. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It was certainly marketed as a Country Park when I went. I have just found a postcard of the Hudson working with what must be a contender for the title of "Worst Steam Outline Body of All Time". To answer the other question, "Margaret" is at Scolton Manor - a completely different location, and well worth a visit.