If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Photoplug] Steam on the Bohinj (Wocheiner) Railway, Slovenia

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by wcmlbls1846, Jul 28, 2014.

1. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Here are 72 photos of a trip in June behind a Kriegslok on this line in western Slovenia, from Jesenice, near Austria, to Nova Gorica, on the Italian border.

It was opened in 1906 to provide an additional route from Salzburg and Vienna to the Adriatic port of Trieste, vital for land-locked Austria. Known as the Bohinj (Slovene) or Wocheiner (German) Rly, the single track, standard gauge line is now only lightly used and is not electrified.

When built the line was in the Austro-Hungarian empire. After the empire collapsed in 1918, the line was divided between Yugoslavia and Italy until 1947, when the southern part transferred to Yugoslavia. The 96km line is now entirely in Slovenia.

The southern part of the line runs through the Isonzo (now Soca) river valley, scene of ferocious fighting in the First world War.

http://andrewstransport.smugmug.com/Yugoslav-trains/Slovenia-Bohinj-Railway-2014/43198377_jThGRc#!i=3416211802&k=5QVKnHW

Slovenian Rlys run regular steam trips over the line; 16 are scheduled in 2014:

http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/en/passengers/slovenia/on-an-excursion/heritage-train/take-the-heritage-train-along-the-bohinj-line

Cheers

Andrew N

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for that useful info. I 'did' this line back in 1973; must now find a space in my diary to go again.

John