If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Platform Surfaces

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by johnofwessex, Sep 4, 2018.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have been looking at platform surfaces for a S&D inspired model.

It doesnt help that most photo's are black & white but as far as I can see for 'solid' platforms - ie not timber or sectional concrete ones the surfaces are mainly either asphalt or slabs.

However some photo's of minor stations (Bawdrip, Charlton Marshall) suggest either aggregate/cinders

Can anyone confirm?

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry for the late reply, came here for something else and spotted this thread. But yes, all of what you've written is correct, there was a variety of platform surfaces depending on the status of the platform. Aggregate/cinders with an area of slabbing surrounding the main station building or waiting room was quite a common "intermediate" between the lowly stations with just aggregate or cinders, and the busy stations all slabbed. There was little standardisation across companies either, and platforms within the same station could differ if they catered for vastly different levels of traffic. Modelling them successfully is another matter, one I'm still not satisfied with, but there's plenty of people's efforts for all of these surfaces on t'interweb.