If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway Blaenavon High Level Reopening Weekend

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Alex G, May 26, 2010.

1. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway, Blaenavon High Level Extension Opening Weekend May 29-31 2010

Trains will be top and tailed by RSH Austerity 7169 back in its full industrial livery as 71515 'Mech. Navvies Ltd' for the first time in preservation and Bagnall 2962 'No. 19'.

Be one of the first passingers to sample our steep gradients and ride from Blaenavon High Level in 69 years! An hourly timetable will be in operation each day with the first train leaving Furnace Sidings at 10.40.

see http://www.pontypool-and-blaenavon.co.uk for more information.

2. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I travelled on the first few trains this morning and was very impressed with the new stretch of line. It made it feel like a proper journey rather than the short out and back used previously. The Austerity looked and sounded fantastic too, what was "Mech Navvies" though?
    Well done everyone involved, I'll definitely be making a few more visits this summer.

3. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

Thanks James, it was a brilliant weekend with over 1100 people carried over the 3 days, a full set of shots are here

http://aligrieve.fotopic.net/c1855658.html

Both engines performed faultlessly over the weekend and they looked and sounded superb.