If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Practical Issues in Preserving Steam Locomotives

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Martin Perry, Jan 13, 2015.

1. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

I seem to recall I first heard the story from an old guy who claimed to be an ex-Nine Elms driver at the MHR when I was a kid, 20 years ago. Reportedly, the would-be buyer had raised the cash to buy the loco and was making arrangements for its collection when the NRM stepped in, allegedly claiming they intended to steam it. It's a rumour that I've heard repeated several times since. It's not like the NRM didn't already have a Bulleid (34051) anyway.

21B - quite right too - totally forgot about 34058. Make that three. There are, I believe, 2o surviving Light Pacifics and 11 MNs... of which nine are operational (six LPs, three MNs), twelve (10 LPs, two MNs) are currently awaiting or under overhaul having previously run in preservation, two (34051, 35029) are on permanent static display, three (one LP, two MNs) are in a state of imminent or nascent restoration, six (three LPs, three MNs) are not currently receiving any restoration work (albeit one of the MNs has had a lot done to it). That doesn't compare too unfavourably with some of the other most well-represented classes in preservation (BR 80xxx, LMS 5MT, GWR Hall).

34007 - restored, now out of ticket
    34010 - unrestored ex-Barry, restoration imminent
    34016 - restored, under overhaul
    34023 - never went to Barry, now awaiting overhaul
    34027 - operational
    34028 - restored, now out of ticket
    34039 - restored, under overhaul
    34046 - operational
    34051 - never went to Barry, static display
    34053 - operational
    34058 - unrestored ex-Barry
    34059 - restored, under overhaul
    34067 - restored, now out of ticket
    34070 - restored, awaiting overhaul
    34072 - operational
    34073 - unrestored ex-Barry
    34081 - operational
    34092 - operational
    34101 - under overhaul
    34105 - under overhaul
    35005 - under overhaul
    35006 - operational
    35009 - unrestored ex-Barry
    35010 - unrestored ex-Barry
    35011 - under restoration
    35018 - operational
    35022 - unrestored ex-Barry, restoration imminent
    35025 - under restoration (albeit currently stalled)
    35027 - under overhaul
    35028 - operational
    35029 - vandalised

26D_M likes this.
  2. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thing about rumours is that you can hear them lots of times even if they all go back to a single source with no foundation, especially if they strike a chord.

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Was 29 the first MN to be purchased from Woodhams?

4. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Not quite - CanPac beat it out by nine months.

5. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Sorry BB but you are talking absolute rubbish. Regardless of what your "man in the pub"( I bet he drove the Flying Scotsman t00!) told you the embryonic NRM purchased 35029 in 1974 with the specific intention of displaying it as a sectioned exhibit. There was never any intention of steaming it - after all there was a perfectly good representative of the class in steam at the time, namely "Clan Line", and there were plenty of other unique locos in the collection that were much easier to steam. So lets rap up this nonsense about 35029 once and for all.

Peter James

6. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

As may be - but it doesn't necessarily discredit the notion of another buyer attempting to acquire it for it to be steamed. When was it sectioned anyway?

7. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

well there were plenty to choose from and that guy getting it instead of the NRM would have made very little difference in reality and it was a good choice of class, as your list confirms, at the time there was very little hope for almost all of the locos and I sincerely doubt that two or three of them will ever be restored.

8. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

It was sectioned at Market Overton by Flying Scotsman Services in early 1975 and was on display in what is now called the Great Hall when the Museum opened in Sept '75. It was externally repainted in a darker shade of green a couple of years later as the original paint job was considered too light.

Peter James

9. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Speaking of which - has anyone else noticed that Clan Line is a hang sight lighter now than it was last ticket?

10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Right yes thanks, presumably then 05 deemed in best condition and went to Steamtown Carnforth, did it not?
    Pointless trying to decipher tge decisions of 40 years ago but I wonder if a Hall or 8F were considered as a sectioned exhibit? Possibly the more valuable copper firebox would give a higher purchase price?

11. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

What if... instead of some of the Bullied Pacifics that made it to Barry, some more Eastern types ended up there? A few more of the B1s, or K3s that had been in use as stationary boilers and survived a bit longer than the other Eastern types?

Or a few Ivatt 4MTs? They would be handy for heritage railway operations surely?

12. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

a two cylinder mixed traffic loco sectioaned wouldn't make as displayable an exhibit as a three cylinder passenger type

13. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Anything a B1 or K3 can do, a West Country can do better...! Bude knocked over 20 minutes off the B1 schedule for Nottingham to Rugby GCR without even trying... Ivatt 4MT (the Flying Pig) is bloody ugly, the Riddles version (and related 4-6-0) are much more handsome... but I'd swap them for some more Maunsell moguls (especially the extinct 3-cylinder types) or W or Z tanks, or LBSCR K Moguls... or even some more Swindon 43/53/63/73 Moguls!

Some of the first-ever 2-6-0 class in the country, from which the name Mogul originated, the GER Adams type, wouldn't go amiss either - but they didn't last long in service.

RG, why not? Doesn't matter what it is, really, just a 2-cyl type would be a lot more representative.

Hicks19862 likes this.
  14. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

I would've just liked to have seen more Eastern types in preservation... and to be honest the looks of the Ivatt 4MT have really grown on me.

15. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Or even a different balance between what survived at Woodhams & what was cut up there. What price now 3171, 1468, 1366 & quite a number of useful sized 53xx locos?

michaelh likes this.
  16. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Of course it would, it's a class 7 and the others are class 5/6.

17. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Except it's around a Class 5 axle loading, which was the whole point... it could go places no other Class 7 could.

18. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Erm, there's no such thing as a "Class 5 axle loading". It's a power classification...
    I presume what you mean is "most other types of comparable axle loading in the UK were not as powerful"?
    I would be interested to know the comparative power per ton of Light Pacific against say Black 5 or B1 or Brittania. As it happens I'm reading van Riemsdijk's "Compound Locomotives" at the moment and it's full of power/ton comparisons, because he thinks British (simple) locos scored badly by international standards.

paulhitch and LMS2968 like this.
  19. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Well that's true, but it did it by accepting a factor of adhesion that no other designer considered acceptable. There's nothing very magic about that sort of thing. All designs are compromises, and its just that in a number of cases Bulleid chose to take quite different tradeoffs from other designers. As for the wisdom or otherwise of the choices Bulleid made, to my mind the record is adequately eloquent.

MellishR, 21B and LMS2968 like this.
  20. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Andrew, what I meant was 'equivalent to' - a WC is broadly comparable in power to a Gresley V2 but is nowhere near as heavy on its driving wheels.

Jimc, the fact that 110 Light Pacifics were built and worked successfully, many right up to the end of steam, without any major remedial work in many cases (one could argue the toss about the necessity of the frankly backward rebuilds til the cows come home, given that many of the unrebuilts lasted well into the 60s and could outperform their rebuilt classmates)... whereas many Black Fives required much more extensive rebuilding, with new frames replacing cracked originals...