If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Preserved railway shares no longer required.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Buckeye, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

I have some shares in a couple of preserved railways I no longer wish to hold for personal reasons. I’m aware I can’t just advertise them on ebay etc due to financial regulations and that there is little or no official market for them, but I would like to dispose of them.

I’ve £25 for a railway in Worcestershire which is currently having a share issue. They’ve advised me in the new prospectus I could donate them to the society and get a free ride ticket valid a year. I had loads of free vouchers but they changed the rules and undated ones became invalid and no longer useable, which is irritating to say the least. I don’t want to buy any more in order to re-qualify for vouchers, and now I’m entitled to priv fares can use these anyway.

The other line is in Hampshire and I’ve got a nominal £240 worth and again there is no market in the shares. For personal reasons I’d like to get rid of them and thus stop receiving the annual report. Again they suggest donating them to the holding society but that is not an option I’d go with.

I realise its like the old quote about the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln railway – Money Sunk & Lost and they are effectively worthless but I’d just like to get rid of them. If I did sell them I could be persuaded to donate the money to an embryonic restoration scheme.

Any thoughts?

Buckeye

2. D1039

D1039 Guest

Re the SVR, There is indeed a secondary market. Contact:

Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers
    4 Tettenhall Road
    Wolverhampton
    WV1 4SA
    Tel: 01902-219252
    Email: richard.mottram@redmayne.co.uk

The SVR Co Ltd ("The Guarantee Company") is known to have bought shares from other shareholders. For info, the minutes of the 2009 AGM relates the Guarantee Company had bought 6,435 of shares for just over £4,000. I don't know the current market rate though

Patrick

3. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I doubt they'd be interested in £25 worth

4. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't think you can expect wealth beyond the dreams of avarice for your £25 shares in the SVR

5. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Hi Buckeye, I'm a Mid Hants shareholder but unlike you I no longer receive annual accounts etc due to house moves etc and despite repeated requests the share register has still not caught up with me!
    If you are literally just looking to novate the shares I would be happy to accept your kind offer. As you say the shares have no value but they might giuve me another chance to start receiving the reports again!
    Feel free to email me to discuss.
    regards

Domeyhead

6. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

Thank you for the replies.
    Patrick - I'll try them and see what they say.
    Michael - I'd realised I'm not going to retire on the proceeds :)
    Domeyhead - you have a PM

7. D1039

D1039 Guest

Knew I'd seen it somewhere. The SVR Share offer doc says traded shares in 2011-12 average 45p a share

Patrick