If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Preston To Edinburgh

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by trainofhope, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Why not look a littler further at a multi day tour - in 2002 we did that wonderful 46201 hauled trip to Perth and Edinburgh and return.

So why not consider X to Perth - overnight - loco goes to Thornton for servicing and in the morning returns to Perth smokebox facing north. Thence to Dundee and reverse and over the bridges and along the coast to Newcatle and dropping off points - just a thought

2. KRM47827

KRM47827 New Member

AK
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    RE: the Edinburgh idea I think realistically if its for a Saturday "Train of Hope" then you would be looking at operating the train at either setting off at silly o'clock (potentially watering down support from those who struggle on longer journeys/days), next to no break in Edinburgh (not likely to prove popular or good for the poor support crew) or returning diesel hauled Edinburgh to Preston/Crewe. Would also make for a long day for steam off Crewe/Preston so would think Carnforth to be the better option as it could allow a path off Crewe or Preston of an hour+ later. If this is a charity tour full of dignitaries, guests etc and you want to appeal to the sorts who can't normally stomach a long day on a train then setting off as late as possible + a even a "Lakes" pickup (plenty of hotels within 10 miles of Oxenholme - e.g Kendal/Windermere etc) might also be wise for those who wish to make a weekend of it but want a start after 8am and to be heading back to their hotel by 9pm. So something along the lines of diesel Crewe, Warrington, Wigan, Preston, Lancaster (loco change Carnforth), then pickup at Oxenholme and steam through to Edinburgh arriving at an example time of 1430. Return diesel hauled setting down at the stations used in the morning leaving Scotland after 6pm subject to no engineering blocks.

I would note though that an Anglo Scottish steam op is going to cost more to put together (whether diesel one way or not) than the last Train of Hope so you may want to think about discussing it with those providing cost price or complimentary resources as its extra financial burden on them when there are other places they may prefer that would not dilute the interest of the passengers.

3. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    An interesting route variation - presuming that route and timings are main concern - is to AVOID the WCML and go Crewe - Manchester - Preston - Carnforth - Cumbrian Coast - Carlisle - S&C - Blackburn - [ for connection to Preston ? ] - Bolton - Manchester - Crewe. There are surely sufficirent steam trips already going over Shap that the coastal alternative might be a welcome relief.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Isn't there a restriction on full route Cumbrian coast steam ?, I do like the sound of this itiniery though.

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Limited clearances on the northern section mean restrictions on stock used and all vestibules manned by stewards to stop any heads out on that section. OK with aircon stock though as on the Mid Cheshire Moorlander by Compass Tours on the 26th Oct.

6. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

I'd book on that one

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    In response to RalphW there was no problem with 71000 when HF Railtours ran their tour up the coast [see gallery at www.hf-railtours.co.uk]

8. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Doesn't it require air cons and stewards manning every vestibule to run on the northern section of the coast line? I'm not sure if Mk.1s are ok with sufficient stewarding or if it has to be air cons though.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    The only steam trip that I have done round the coast was a few years back with 71000 and with the restrictions as already mentioned.