If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Project Wareham

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by David R, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I’ve always thought the best option was to let an external operator run the service with their own stock. Much like SWR did for a couple of years with it’s 159s.

Under the terms of their agreement with DCC, SR is obliged to allow another operator access to run Wareham services, if it is unable to do so itself.

Of course whether another operator is willing to do this in the current climate, is an entirely different matter.

2. Morris_mad

Morris_mad New Member

Best option for who? Running a 158 to Corfe is one thing but to Swanage is another entirely and would IMHO undermine the core business of the railway.

Given the economics alluded to and the probable need for financial support to make a service viable even when using volunteer crews, how would an external operator be able to ‘make it pay’ with paid staff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul42 and Jamessquared like this.
  3. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

If DCC were to insist on a service being run, then I’d suggest best option for the Swanage Railway. The undermining the core business argument could also apply if the SR ran these trains. At least with an external operator the costs and risks wouldn’t fall on the SR.

As I said, finding an operator actually willing to do this (and being able to make it pay) is a very different matter.

4. 80104

80104 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought one of the main purposes of the two trial "years" was to establish a level of demand. Using the data from those trials would enable financial scenario modelling to be undertaken. This would inform the likely level of subsidy required for future operations whether that was by SRC or by DC inviting a third party to tender.

Canibalising / undermining the core SR business has always been a risk though this could be mitigated by a well thought revenue share agreement.

A more challenging issue may be the "difference" between mainline leisure fare levels and heritage rail fare levels.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  5. mikehartuk

mikehartuk New Member

As John suggests I think you can be fairly sure that quotes nowadays for the amount payable to insure Swanage Railway Company against the risks associated with running onto the relatively high speed section on the mainline into Wareham will be £'s mouth wateringly high!

6. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

News Now Rail. Rossendale Borough council seeking rail restoration. This would mean co-operations with the ELR ; Swanage gets a mention as amongst those railway seeking government help to restore services Well worth a read!

7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Would do, if you posted a link!

8. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Back in the days of great State Schools math sometimes included "problems" Often the answer was provided but one had to "prove" how one got there!!

9. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    I’ve no idea what your on about.
    As per usual.

Sunnieboy likes this.
  10. Musket The Dog

Musket The Dog New Member

Engineer
  11. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Have you read the article yet. Encouraging news for Project Wareham one would say. I am nearly n80 yrs old so not so good at hyperlinks! Don't shoot the messenger!

12. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
  13. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Does it not say that Swanage and other HR are interested in pursuing a similar course. So it is very relevant if the SR were to get financial assistance from higher levels of government.

14. Morris_mad

Morris_mad New Member

15. 80104

80104 Member

They keep on talking about feasibility studies which seems somewhat ironic given all the money that has already been invested into the project: all the infrastructure is in place, the DMUs have been refurbished and staff training undertaken. The only missing bit is the licence itself. The cost of a feasibility study would probably cover the estimated losses on another 60 day trial service anyway.

It concerns me that any form of attempt to ascertain demand based on questionnaires or surveys will prove to be flawed. The best way to ascertain demand is, as was indeed intended, to run trials and gauge actual demand from that.

The 2017 trial proved, as much as anything, that operating a trial service during the 12 weeks of the summer at non peak (10am to C4pm) hours, generated a reasonable load on the first down train and last up train and the other services were lightly loaded. This was as expected given that Swanage is a day trip seaside resort. Operating a longer trial service (ie 90 days compared to 60) would probably endorse the 60 day results though with lower loads in what would then be outside of the peak and high shoulder seasons.

If demand for commuter time services needs to be ascertained then as before a trial at those times would need to be operated.

I very much doubt that there is demand for a year round service given how quiet Swanage is out of season but again a trial would give a better indication.

Hirn, MellishR and Morris_mad like this.
  16. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Well I see very little linkage between the two projects. The Swanage one having the support of the Swanage Railway and various funding bodies for a non commuter based service to Wareham
    The Rossendale Council one planning to try and run a commuter service without any consultation with the ELR, and if successful possibly at the expense of the ELR surviving from what was said when this was first in the press a couple of months back.

17. 80104

80104 Member

Im not sure that describes Project Wareham quite correctly. Surely it is a Swanage Railway objective as evidenced by the stated aims of the SRT. The Project is run by SRT / SRC with support from DC (Dorset Council) , PCRP (Purbeck Community Rail Partnership) and with some funds from other sources.

18. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

But it is a bunch of groups working to one aim, where as the one on the ELR is a study for the council to impose its plan and possibly in the process end the existence of the Heritage Line as the two things have been stated by the ELR to not be compatible.

19. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

It’s possible if course that the ELR are being more realistic (i.e. highlighting the incompatibility of two fundamentally different operational models).

Tom

35B, Sunnieboy and Bluenosejohn like this.
  20. 80104

80104 Member

Yes I see that but, and I think this is a big but, If DC and GBR Great British Railways ever decide that an hourly Wareham <> Swanage service is to be operated, then this would have priority over any Heritage Railway Service SRC is operating between Norden <> Swanage. The lack of pathing could spell real difficulty for SRC.

It is imho highly unlikely that GBR would ever want such a service to operate but who knows DC might. They have to reduce car dependency and operating a year round Swanage <> wareham service would at least give additional consumer choice. The failure of SRC to deliver the second year of the trial service (for reasons which have been fully documented) could encourage DC to consider all the options they have.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    MellishR likes this.