If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Project Wareham

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by David R, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    “X Gates” was the usual name used by the LSWR for a signal box that controlled a crossing, but was otherwise remote from a station.

Tom

30854 and Sunnieboy like this.
  2. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    If it is not Norden Gates then someone had better change the sign on the box.

Attached Files:

oliversbest likes this.
  3. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

They are the Gates physically and metaphorically through which the Trains from Wareham to Swanage must roll,be they steam,diesel,battery or any combination thereof.
    Be ye lift up Ye old Norden Gates!!

4. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Yes and will remain a contractor under GBR when all franchises cease.
    But the debate about discounted fares to boost railway use is valid, especially for lesuire, cand may help project Wareham, to repost from the conference
    "GBR speakers at the Conference emphasised the importance of getting the 50% of the UK population that never travels by train to start using the railway"

5. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Its good old fashioned RR capitalism
    Mr Posner can obviously see a market where battery powered short haul transit appeals to the local populace and is viable,and he is able to supply the trains ready made.
    No supporter of rail would wish him ill luck on such a venture (or would they..reading the negativity towards innovation on NR can numb the mind!)

6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Went on the Cambrian last year, could not buy a ticket. Guard didnt have a machine, my phone wont support the TFW website & I didnt have a printer so cant buy on line..............

7. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

with the advent of DMUs and making many stations unmanned BR brought out a very simple answer,well advertised called the PayTrain!! Far too simple for modern tech to handle!

8. Gladiator 5076

At the risk of taking this thread further into to the world of fantasy, for which I apologise, I would just comment:
    That is a fine aim, although actual achievement would produce so many issues it would be a whole new set of targets to achieve it. But it just that, an aim.
    I have sat through many conferences as a delegate, and hell actually stood up there sometimes and presented equally fine aims on the area of the industry I worked in. Sometimes I even believed my own "spin", but often I knew it was just an aim never going to be achieved. That does not mean it should not be discussed or even worked towards.
    But before talking about discounted tickets GBR needs to get its head straight on why the current proposal seems to be to do away with ticket offices and the TOC on line sites and force booking through on on line platform like Trainline that charges you for the privilege. Not sure increasing the overall cost will aid the aim of increasing passengers.

9. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I do wish him well. But I remain to be convinced that the market he anticipates exists, or that these reconditioned 40 year old trains will prove to be a viable option based on VivaRail’s performance to date.

As for NR, the negativity is not to innovation but to the prospects of it being successful given the legal and regulatory environment in the U.K. An environment, mind you, that also sees many fewer incidents and deaths than that in the US - and certainly not the likes of the Lac Magentic disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

I will update the GBR thread as there was the first GBR ticket sale March.
    Sad if ticket offices close or cut back hours, but looks like there will also still be ticket machines, with some station staff to help, and guards will still sell tickets.
    If the Wareham trial goes ahead it may not require a ticket booth like 2017 if joint discounted tickets can be brought online or NR ticket machines, or even the guard on the DMUs?

11. 80104

80104 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Selling tickets on the DMU is likely to be problematic because of a) the number of passengers seeking tickets if there is no other means of ticket purchase b) issues with mobile phone signal connectivity along the line for card purchase.
    Selling joint tickets results in less revenue for SRC which is less than desirable. Also if SWR sell tickets on behalf of SRC then they will in all probability charge some form of commission or transaction fee.
    Can the TVM be configured to prevent purchase of a Swanage fare on days that the service is not operating (for obvious reasons)?
    As I have endeavoured to explain previously there is a very real danger that Wareham will bring in far less additional revenue than the additional cost incurred.

12. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

13. Gladiator 5076

SWR do not offer through tickets on the MHR, which is of course a long established link, so why would they be so keen to do so between Wareham and Swanage or am I missing something?
    fyi I can also find no through fare to the Bluebell on the Southern site, or to Pickering on the Northern Rail site. Also whilst the GWR site recognises Kingswear (for Dartmouth) it offers no fare and also offers no fares for the Bodmin Railway either.
    Is there any Heritage Line with a connection to the National Network where a through fare is offered?

14. kwrail

kwrail New Member

Isle of Wight rover tickets. Could argue that it is simply two preserved lines operating together! Don't know of any others.

15. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Not sure if it’s still available but through tickets used to be available on the SVR at one time. Not seen any mention of them for a while though.

16. Gladiator 5076

17. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Through ticketing is something the Swanage Railway have previously announced as one of their intentions for project Wareham. Essentially treating the Swanage to Wareham DMU as a normal public service, integrated with the main network, rather than a purely heritage service.

Whether that happens now or if intentions have changed remains to be seen, but that is the reason it gets talked about.

18. Gladiator 5076

Thanks Alan. Was that aspiration before the birth of Delay Repay do you know?

19. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

When was delay repay born?

I remember in 2017 when the Wareham services were run by WCRC, the SR said they hoped to implement through ticketing for the 2018 services. Of course, in the end the 2018 services didn’t run at all.

20. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

From 2017
    https://www.southwesternrailway.com...heir-journey-is-delayed-by-15-minutes-or-more
    "New Delay Repay 15 scheme launches today (Friday 1 December) Passengers can claim Delay Repay compensation online: delayrepay.southwesternrailway.com, via the SWR mobile app or by post"
    But frustrating to claim, quite a procedure, you only get a few pence if over 15mins, quite often for some reason rejected so have to go though the appeal procedure. You only get a full refund if over 2 hours delay, by when the replacement bus comes. So was not worth the effort of claiming.
    If SWR give advice to SR for the proposed Wareham service, SR will not need to worry about expensive claims.