If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Publication date for Feb 08 issue

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by RM Staff, Dec 30, 2007.

1. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Just a reminder that the planned publication date of the February 2008 dated issue is Friday 4th January, rather the the first Wednesday - Jan 2. This is due to Christmas/New Year holidays.

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Just wondering if there was a new issue out around now or if it is stil the Feb issue? I'll buy it anyway I'm just more intressted in up to date news! 8-[

Also anything special in it?

3. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The March dated issue should be in the shops on February 6 and will include the usual round up of news and features. We are still monthly, whereas some competitors are 4-weekly.

Before any one asks, why the March issue comes out so early in February, blame the publishing and marketing management.

When I started on the title, we published on the preceeding 2nd Wendesday, which was anything between 8th and 15th of month. Then a competitor, which published on the 2nd Friday, so the management at the time decided to leapfrog them, and publish on the first Wendesday which can be between 1st and 8th. It's all to do with sales and being on the newsagents shelf first, apparently.

It's potty, I know. And working on the February dated issue that we signoff before Christmas confuses the hell out of us.

4. Bernard

Bernard New Member

Retired ex BR OHLE and HGV driver
    I bought my new Railway Magazine yesterday 5th February and it is according to RM staff the last day of the February issue,the March issue being on sale today, yet today I see no different issue for sale.
    What is more, recently some of your 'news' seems to be getting older and older.
    But then, on the good side, you do print some of the finest articles such as the GWR,Grantham Station and Best of British in your February issue
    Thanks, Bernard

5. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    The new one is certainnly out in York, I didn't buy it though.

6. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    I'll be getting my copy tomorrow to read on the train whilst ravelling home!

Either that or free wireless on NXEC!

7. mendiprail

mendiprail Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think it would make much more sense to have the issue released on in the first week of a month, to be dated to that month, otherwise it just looks having a March issue on shelves when it hasn't been even a week of February.

8. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Hi to all RM readers.
    This is Phil Marsh from the RM team, substituting for Chris Milner while he is away in India on a reader trip.

The cover date we have to apply is not ideal but was driven by other magazines bringing forward their cover date some years ago. This was to give the "uninformed" the impression that the respective mag was just out. It meant we had to follow others in the cover dating convention.

As I said, not ideal but that's life.

So far as carrying old stories, the current issue went to press as several big stories were breaking and we did not have a lot of time or available space, to do them justice. Earlier comments that we are late with the news is interesting, but if a story breaks the day after press day, it is out of our control! Specific examples would be welcomed so I can look into them.

Many thanks to all our readers - we hope to have some great news in a week or so for you all.

Phil Marsh

9. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Thanks for dropping in Phil.

The March issue proved good company on my travels yesterday and unlike some other publications, I still haven't finished reading it! The Pantographs's article in particualr was an interesting read.

Ben

10. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Hi Ben and any other RM readers,

The pantograph feature was a tricky thing to write - even though I sat on the Rolling Stock Acceptance Board for several years! If you can understand it, congratulations!

If anyone has any comments or queries, please be advised that there will not be a Railway Mag presence on this forum now until 17th Feb. I am also away travelling (but not as far as Chris Milner) to, err, just remembered, its a secret, but you should be able to read about it in the next issue! But it does involve train ferries....................!

Best wishes to all

Phil Marsh