If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Question for cleaners

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by arthur maunsell, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Might have to try this out next time I'm down, can't say I've ever heard of it before. There's nothing worse than a dirty cab... not a very good reflection on the crew IMO.

2. hjparker

hjparker New Member

Whilst you can swill down the running board with the hose, what about the dust and grit that has just blown into the motion and running gear? More speed, less haste and a little more thought is all. If they have to be done at the end of a turn, it is possible to do these jobs in a manner that doesn't create work for the next shift and it reduces wear and tear on the engine. If the loco isn't out the next day and there is an opportunity to make life easier and do it later, why not?

The smokebox has to be opened to inspect tubeplate, superheaters and general security at the start of the next shift anyway - so why not empty it then? Cleaning the smokebox can be unpleasant at the best of time, it is easier when the boiler is cooler with almost no fire in the grate - safer too. The ashpan can be cleaned once the fire has been lit before making a start on cleaning.

I quite agree that a large fire in the ashpan is not healthy and is to be avoided, so unless there are signs of clinker or the fire is too thick, leave the grate covered. This supposes the crew can get the engine back on shed with a dying fire after the last working, which isn't always the case!

3. Edward

Edward Member

I think our footplate experiences are from different universes! Our engines have been comming back on shed with 12 - 18 inches of ash & clinker in the boxes of late, and the smokebox half way up the door. You can't leave that sort of mess for someone else!

4. hjparker

hjparker New Member

Of course there are a wide variety of situations represented on the Forum from the Mainline and 15-20 mile preserved railways where the engines are worked hard and end up as you describe, to shorter lines and steam centres where locos could run for 2 days and never need the smokebox emptying! I have experienced all of these and still believe that a little care and consideration creates less work for the next day's crew, shed fitters and loco owners.

5. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Cleaning the ashpan after lighting the fire presumes loco left over the ashpit. In which case that means cleaning and oiling over the same (full) ashpit, rather than over the (relatively) clean inspection pit.

6. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Yes, thats what happens at NYMR if your lucky...........

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Do they havean ashpit at Fort William these days or is it still a crawl underneath?

8. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Are there not two distinct different sets of circumstances here? - firstly when the loco is in traffic next day and should be left as ready to go as possible, and secondly when it is not required for some time and should be left to cool as slowly as possible, which also enables the firebox/smokebox to be cleared at leisure (!)

9. Matt

Matt Member

Crawl! Least you don't get rained on under there though.

10. sirhectimere

sirhectimere New Member

No! If you're going to do it, do a proper job.
    In my day a lump of tallow rubbed over the backplate crown, (or a liberal dose of black oil poured on), and allowed to melt then run down over it, rubbed into nooks and crannies with cotton waste, followed by a spray with the slack pipe would do a grand job. Black as ink. Also we used to rub tallow on a hot smokebox and chimney, again with cotton waste, for a lovely black sheen. (It did pong though!)
    For those who don't know, tallow was animal fats. (It used to fry brilliant chips too if you could get any home!)
    Cheers
    Sir Hectimere