If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Question re SWT's 3417

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Woof, May 12, 2008.

1. gavin

gavin New Member

Well, almost. Gordon Pettit paid SWT £1 and we (or rather Roy Watts as it was his pound) paid Gordon Pettit.

Picking up on a comment made earlier, yes Bruce had been talking to us firstly about him buying it instead of us and then latterly about the unit going to Eastleigh 100. However the offer to give it immediate undercover storage was made on Sunday. I didn't feel it necessary to chart all the ins and outs of a duck's a*se.

Gavin

2. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The movement 5Z73 was planned under VSTP (Very Short Term Planning) access conditions - in old parlance "under control arrangements". These arrangements exist to cover last minute problems, disruption and a 1001 other problems which happen on the National Network. By the nature of the timescale, the validation of VSTP paths is done by eye and experience, not by following train planning work instructions to the final letter.

Actually many trains do run at short notice, most additional or altered freight services run under Day A for Day C access conditions to enable quick respone to commercial requests.

Regards, Neil

3. rsfaithfull

rsfaithfull Member

And a '63 stock fitter....

4. rsfaithfull

rsfaithfull Member

She was under her own power going down to East Grinstead, 73109 was attached to the front working in multiple. The situation would have been the same going to Eastleigh so long as they left the 10-point in and was hauled by a compatable loco.

5. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

Railway work of a needful and demanding nature.
    Hello folks,

It's been an interesting few days and some of the comments posted here have given a little cause for concern. Not because they have been negative, but there seems to be a certain undercurrent that suggest that 3417 going to Eastleigh was all planned months in advance and thus the hype and gossip was all built up for no good reason.

I wish that were the truth - up until Saturday all we knew was that 3417 was going to East Grinstead into an uncertain future. Bruce Knights has never been anything less than honest about his admiration for 3417 but since she was tied up with the deal for Network Rail to provide all that could be said on that score was "I'd love her, but someone else already has first dibs." That's worth repeating, incidentally: where ever she is stabled, she still belongs to the Bluebell Railway.

Bruce has posted this on the WNXX forum, and I'll let him carry on the story:

"OK, its late and I'm knackered after 1000 miles in the car and a long train journey from Eastleigh to East Grinstead return this week so far.

I've read some interesting comments on this forum and several others and would like to squash some of the conspiracy theories. Firstly nobody knew I was getting the unit before Tuesday because I didn't know myself until then. It was common knowledge that I wanted her, I've even been quoted saying as much in the rail press. However I thought she would be at EG forever and a day, along with everybody else who knew anything about her.

I was invited to the EG ceremony on Saturday and handed over a letter asking to borrow the unit for Eastleigh 100 in May. Rather tongue in cheek I also offered to store and maintain the unit FOC for the Bluebell, on the assumption that the Bluebell management understood the value of keeping the unit in mainline condition. I'm very glad to say they fully shared my views and asked me if I could make good on my offer sooner rather than later. I received the call from the BB earlier this week and arranged for today's move within about 48 hours, including the FTR and haulage.

Was it fast? Too bloody right it was. GBRf are fantastic to have managed to provide the locos, crew and route at such short notice. NR provided a groundcrew at 24 hrs notice and Arlington Fleet did the FTR at sparrows on Wednesday. Some of the Wimbedon Park lads came in today on their off shifts to help out as well.
    So full marks and my heartfelt thanks to everybody involved, including the Bluebell management who were so receptive to my proposal.

To confirm then, it was all done since Saturday afternoon and the move was arranged in around 48 hours. I know this seems fast but it is what we do for a living and we know good people. There was no conspiracy, subterfuge or grassy knoll. Just a bunch of people who care deeply about 3417 trying to do the right thing and before she deteriorated.

The good news is that the move seems to have universal support. I understand that everybody involved with 3417 is happy, even the local council. Let me also make clear that 3417 remains the property of the Bluebell and we are only looking after her for the sake of the wellbeing of the unit. They can take her back from us at any time should they want to.

In the meantime I can promise is that she will be kept in mainline ticket and in full working order. Whereas she was already wet inside after only 5 days and at risk from taggers, she will now be kept warm and dry and on the juice.

Now the fun part. She was cut in today for the run although her motors weren't under power after the first few miles. She dried out nicely and we passed Winchester at 80 with the heaters and lights on. In my view the only way to savour an EMU is on the mainline at speed and we certainly did that today. And yes I did smile when we overtook a Desiro at 75 mph.

So a good day for 3417, real EMUs and the Bluebell. Calls for large ones all round I think. And a few messages of support for the Bluebell might be good. Some people out there underestimated them I think."

And as an aside, it's worth noting the messages of support and admiration on WNXX for the Bluebell Railway; a group of modern railway enthusiasts appaulading a steam-only preserved railway. That has to be a first!!!
    A few divisions in the preservation community have been removed during this affair. Lets hope it continues.

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    and - perhaps - to prove their goodwill they might allow their on-loan 73 to work a couple of passenger services during its visit. Although I live up north and would be unable to sample it, Im sure that the Bluebell could gain a few more friends and funds by the occasional use of modern traction - albeit Southern modern traction to maintain it's declared commitment to all things Southern.

[-o< [-o< [-o<

7. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

One thing at a time, perhaps....?!!

8. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

:smt103

Surely not!

9. andy999

andy999 Member

It makes you wonder what the Bluebell actually want 3417 for? The idea of having it on display at EG to publicise the extension made sense, but obviously this isn't happening now. It's not as if they have any diesels to run it with when it does return to the Bluebell. Time will tell I suppose!

10. stepney60

It will be returning to East Grinstead in the future, presumably for special events.

11. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I would just like to add that I think it is very generous of Bruce Knights to provide warm storage for 3417. In my dealing with him he has always come across as honest and genuine, and therefore I can fully believe that he only has the best interests of the VEP's survival at heart.

Regards,

Dan

12. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Well done Bruce and thanks to the BB for seeing that a main line registered bit of kit is kept in safe hands.

Am sure there will be opportunities for people to ride on her this year......and to appreciate all the hard work that Wimbledon Park Fleet staff have put to her....Thanks Buckie...You deserved that beer last night...

13. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Steam Hauled? On Juice or as a stauatory unit? Whatever I hope her future is as bright as what and how the Wimbledon depot guys have done with her!!! =D>

14. stepney60

If you can find a steam engine to haul it... ;-)

15. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Want a list Steppers??? ;-)

16. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

Bluebell Diesel special booked in for Sat 7 March

17. chris_uk10

chris_uk10 New Member

Yes a beer certainly went down a treat after Thursday good day out putting The old girl back on south western division metals
    Ive read all the posts on here and all the ins and outs of the bluebell having not having 3417 to be honest i wasnt best pleased about her going to East grinstead and at first was very concerned about the safety of the old girl down there and the waste of leaving the only vep in good nick left to rot
    But to be honest the Bluebell have gone way up in my estimation Thet do have a wider interest in preservation than just steam steam steam and the result of this is 3417 is now down at Eastleigh with a good future ahead of her
    I would like to thank the Bluebell and personally Roy Watts for allowing this to happen anhd anytime he wants a beer ill be searching down the back of my sofa to find a few coppers to by him a very large one

Bucky

18. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

full marks for all concerned, its the best outcome anyone could have dreamed of the anti anything but steam folks wont have to put up with seing a 1960;s emu on their metals, the vandles will have to find something else to tag and there might be a vep back on the main line now on a separate question, the last time i went past chart leacon there are still a couple of former south eastern trains 400's can anyone enlighten me what they are used for?

19. rsfaithfull

rsfaithfull Member

Shunting. They were used to move our 455 coaches around when they were there being refurbished.

20. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

Much as, once upon a time in a former job, we used 3417 to shunt anything from a duff ED to Bittern's support coach around the yard. It was always handy having something hanging about that'd couple to just about anything.