If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RAIB Investigation: South Devon Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 35B, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So, an expensive and embarrassing bit of sloppiness by the SDR. I say 'sloppiness' because had the toilet door been secured properly (and checked daily) then the whole business would probably not have happened. More important, had the safety and maintenance procedures at the SDR been more rigorous then, again, the incident wouldn't have happened.

The good news is that pride has been hurt and not people. Hopefully the lessons learned will lead to a better regime in the future.

2. coalboy

coalboy New Member

There is not a great deal
    there is a great deal in common between aviation and railway safety. Both can learn from the other. Both deal with machinery and people

3. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    More by luck than judgement, it has to be said. Never mind the empty "lessons learned", how about the more proactive "heads will roll" - and have they?

4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There's not an awful lot of point sacking someone if you don't update the relevant safety documents/change the working practices, and once you've done that there's not a lot of point sacking someone unless they refuse to play along I'd have thought?

Martin Perry, Shaggy, pmh_74 and 2 others like this.
  5. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Well, at the very least I hope that those responsible for letting this carriage out in that state have been made very forcefully aware of the error of their ways.

And, at the risk of going over this yet again - how hard would it have been to have either refitted the floor pending repairs or replace the floor even temporarily? Further upthread, Big Al calls it 'sloppiness' - a most apt description.

Perhaps now heritage railways will pay more attention to those carriages that actually earn them money; there isn't an infinite supply of Mk. 1s any more after all. I am left wondering how much repair/restoration work the £53,000 this has cost SDR would have effected on any of the remaining 21 carriages the SDR owns.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    That is a real concern of the ORR and has been for some time. Boards need to consist of people competent to undertake their roles. That doesn't necessarily mean a knowledge of railway operations though.

Aberdare likes this.
  7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    If they was the only criterion, your board would be very short of the necessary skills and knowledge. Knowledge of Engineering, finance, SHE and Companies Act to name but four necessary attributes of the overall board.

Sheff likes this.
  8. The Green Howards

Layabout
    I think you know as well as I do that running a railway takes more than what I suggested in my post ;)

9. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Problems seem to arise when the shareholders/ members etc. are asked to vote for their 'mates' who's only qualification may be that they have been volunteering for some time. They may have little or no professional experience in any appropriate discipline but people like them.

And then there's the case where you struggle to find people to stand for election. In this case you can easily get a real numptie elected simply because no one else stood.

At the other end of the scale there are those who always seem to be pushing themselves forward who stand for election. Then, once in office, they seem to think that they almost own the place and that all things shall be done as they say - whether they know what they are talking about or not.

These problems occur in almost all voluntary committee run organisations everywhere.They are by no means exclusive to heritage (or tourist ;)) railways.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Monkey Magic, Mogul, michaelh and 9 others like this.
  10. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Or indeed, political parties!

Mogul likes this.
  11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I don't think that everything that will potentially ever happen has been anticipated - even in such a safety-conscious industry as the airline one.
    Then there are the human factors which need constant vigilance to ensure that dangerous practices do not creep into operations.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  12. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

The voice of experience speaking here I suspect!

I have said in the past that those who understand the responsibilities will probably run a mile! And that is certainly true of any organisation which expects volunteers to take a leadership role with the ultimate corporate responsibility.

As I have previously stated on this thread, there is also the problem that there are those involved in the preserved railway movement seem to take a pride in avoiding 'big railway' experience or with H & S experience. Of course, the issue at hand is only in part a operating matter (not removing the coach from service, even after the event, not reporting the incident when it should have been etc.) but also an engineering and perhaps above all business planning and management issue. Again, berating, belittling and undermining management is a standard feature of railway preservation - presumably recreating the 'staff/management' relationship of old!

I know I am repeating myself but it is worth doing - commercial, operating and engineering need to work together and show more openness with and respect for each other than is all too often the case. By 'respect' I mean not saying 'please' and 'thank you' but not treating each other, and each other requests and requirements, with disdain and the disrespect of giving unrealistic answers (or no answers). Without appearing to refer to this case (of which I know nothing beyond what is in the public sphere), Commercial saying 'we think we need a 5 coach service set, with a spare available to strengthen' should then become operating and engineering stating what they need to achieve that, and any requirements they see in order to do so (for example, actually refine what this requirement means by saying that means having a 7th vehicle available to cover failures, where the spares are located for ease of access and use even before we get to 'but we only have 4 serviceable coaches and need top spend £XX,XXX to achieve 7'). Financial and other resource requirements must be genuinely assessed (too many across preserved railways believe they are expected to 'make do and mend' instead of saying 'well, to do it properly will cost £XX,XXX' and giving finance and commercial genuine targets to manage achieving) and communicated, proper plans, including a programme with suitable allowance for unknown factors, drawn up AND SHARED and then the whole process kept under review with information passing between the 3 areas (Engineering, Ops and Commercial, as well as of course Finance) as time and hopefully work progresses.

Noe of this may seem to be Health & Safety but the nicest written systems in the world mean nothing if there aren't business systems capable of actually delivering them.

How many businesses generally, let alone preserved Railways measure up to this?

Steven

deaftech, 30854, banburysaint and 9 others like this.
  13. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    I hope that we get somewhere approaching that ideal and then you get thrown a curved ball which throws all of that careful planning out of the window. Be it a totally unexpected failure, a delay by a contractor or the potential to be in a TV programme :)

paulhitch likes this.
  14. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I agree with the general premise of your post but I just wanted to comment on this. Whilst I agree that heritage railways could (and indeed almost certainly do) learn from 'big railway' practice, over on the main line all is not perfect either.
    For a very basic example I shall mention the wearing of hard hats. On Network Rail, for some time, all trackside staff have to wear them regardless of what they are doing or where. In many cases they are totally unnecessary and in some cases contribute to a reduction in safety; a friend of mine used to do S&T maintenance for NR in the midlands and told me that one of the problems they experienced was rain water dripping off one's hard hat and straight into the electrical cabinet they were working in. He also told me that in summer the hats were quite handy for collecting blackberries in. Now, the problem with this is that if staff start to disrespect the equipment provided for their safety, it becomes a joke and they may not use it correctly (or at all) when doing a task which actually needs it.
    London Underground, incidentally, I believe take a different view of hard hats and only require them to be worn for certain tasks. And this seems to be the way on most if not all heritage railways too. So it is certainly not always the case that 'big railway = best practice'.
    I daresay there are numerous other examples. I think the important thing is an awareness of the risks involved in any given task and a willingness to listen to the experience of others, rather than just blindly copying what others do and assuming that others have all the answers. On this particular topic, I personally prefer the LU approach over the NR one, and personally I would still advocate the risk-based approach even if LU changed their policy and fell in line with NR.

(Incidentally, before someone finds a photo of an LU worksite which is a sea of hard hats - many contracting organisations simply make their staff follow NR rules regardless of whose railway they are on.)

deaftech and michaelh like this.
  15. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Many years ago, in BR days I was advised that I needed to wear a hard hat to go to the toilet in a Signal Box as the frame room was a designated hard hat area

16. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    I'm sure we can all quote examples of where H&S procedures have been implemented badly or inappropriately and have ended up creating new issues rather than resolving the original one.

PPE and head protection issue mentioned above is a classic example, I regularly see inappropriate head protection, not because it is wrong to use it- but often the type selected is not compatible with other ppe or doing the task required.

However, done right it should be a useful tool and should actually assist in management practices and designing working procedures.

It's all down to who is advising and implementing.

Chris

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  17. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

There's a lesson there. Being able to say "Stop!" if one sees an unsafe practice should extend to practices introduced in the name of H&S that are actually counter-productive.

jnc and pmh_74 like this.
  18. JayDee

JayDee Member

Takes time to filter through though.

This used to be the case on airlines where "pilot always knows what's best". From what I remember this resulted in an air disaster where the passengers and cabin crew warned the pilots that one of the wings was on fire but because the instruments were saying the engines were fine they ignored the passengers and cabin crew despite the fact the rest of them could see it.

Now-a-days cabin crew are treated as the pilots eyes and ears on the rest of the aircraft.

19. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Which crash was this?

20. JayDee

JayDee Member

Unfortunately I can't remember. It was on an air crash/safety show on the telly years ago.