If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Raildays app

Discussion in 'Links' started by Calsyman, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Calsyman

Calsyman New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi All,

Does anyone know who is behind the fairly new app 'Raildays' (which gives details of the location of heritage railways)?

I've only just become aware of it, but have noticed several sites are missing.

I was hoping to get in touch with the app's Admin to get it updated.

Many thanks

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I think it's basically the long awaited HOPS app, but with extra features for the public to use too. Still very much under development I think. I don't know, but it may be that only railways that use HOPS feature.

Calsyman likes this.
  3. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Call me a dinosaur if you like. :) but I just don't get this fashion for using apps instead of websites. Why clutter up your mobile device with unnecessary software when you can as easily reference a website with the same info (This isn't just about railways, there are also plenty of other apps that apparently just replicate the functionality of websites).

Chris86 likes this.
  4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Speaking as someone with many apps on his phone and iPad, there are two potential advantages. The first is that the app has some or all of the data on it, so either doesn’t need to go online for checking, or needs much less when the connection is poor. The National Trust app is an example.

The second is screen design, where a native app can be better suited than a website.

It is worth note that neither is definitive, and there are plenty of apps that negate both, especially for iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Calsyman

Calsyman New Member

I've just had a response from HOPS and it is their app, in case anyone else wants to know

Wenlock likes this.
  6. karigood

karigood New Member

Hello there! I'm so glad to see people taking an interest in keeping these types of apps up-to-date. But tbh, I'm not sure who specifically is behind the Raildays app. You may be able to find contact information within the app itself or on the app's official website. I usually find such data on my developer's website, which is https://smartengines.com/. Alternatively, you could try reaching out to other users of the app or posting your question on relevant online forums or social media groups. Hopefully, you'll be able to get in touch with the app's administrator and help improve the app for all users.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  7. D1039

D1039 Guest

I downloaded it today, timetables aren’t loaded. What would be useful is a function that tells you which railways are running on a particular day, without having to check each one. I hope it develops