If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railmotor on the Liskeard-Looe branch?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Sep 23, 2012.

1. baldric

baldric Member

Been through Bodmin to crossover at Lostwishiel so all go for this weekend.

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Due to a change in circumstances, I'm now unable to travel down to Liskeard this weekend. I have a ticket booked on the 14.30 departure that I'm willing to sell for face value, £25, i.e. without the booking fee I was charged. If anyone wants the ticket, please PM me.

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It's a shame that the original plan to use 9466 didn't work out - according to this rail.co.uk article it was a result of the 6023 controversy.

"It was original envisaged that Dennis Howells’ Pannier Tank No. 9466 would be used to haul the Railmotor between Bodmin and Liskeard, covering the same route it pulled trains over a few years ago.

The use of 9466 would have been at cost, possibly being cheaper than using a diesel based several hundred miles away but it is understood that the offer was not accepted by the GWS following the robust debate concerning boilerwork on GWR ‘King’ No. 6023 King Edward 11. This culminated in graffiti being painted on the boiler leading to the engine’s removal from the GWS at Didcot to the Great Central Railway at Loughborough - where No. 9466 is currently operating.

This would have been 9466’s final main line operation as the main line boiler ticket expires in January 2013."

Chris

4. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Best wishes to GWS, Network Rail, WCR, FGW, ORR and anyone else involved in the Railmotor trips on Sunday.

Never mind the mudslinging. Just remember: The trains are fine, its the people that are the problem,

5. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Being a mainline steam fan, let me make it clear that I do not wish to be a party-pooper!

It's just that neither my brother or I can ever remember seeing a steam driven coach before and simply wondered what the fascination was.

Is it like Leander where the fireman is tucked away in the middle of the coach with the driver at the front much like push and pull working?

When did these coaches cease to operate?

Time to research I guess, but on the face of it, I can see nothing that makes any hair on my neck stand up!

Sorry, just a personal view.

I really do hope that all goes well and yes, a GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank would have done the trick for me. But hey ho!

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Err, don't you mean "Leader"? ;-)

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd be interested to see 5690's fireman tucked away in the middle of any coach. :)

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Give it a try Hatherton, chances are sooner or later it will turn up at a Gala somewhere near you, if it doesn't float your boat you can always go back to conventional loco's.

Personally I treat it as a permenantly coupled Autotrain.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Look on it as the forunner of a diesel railcar perhaps.

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Personally I find it a fascinating glimpse of history, something you could only read about made real before our very eyes. Then again I'm quite partial to a steam waggon or anything else propelled by compressed water vapour generated entirely by the skill of the crew! It's also a work of art inside, has to be seen (and heard) to be believed.

11. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I'm going because it is something completely out of the ordinary and a glimpse of branch line travel in the days when my grandfather was quite young. A fascinating if eventually unsuccessful chapter in the history of steam railway travel. Sounds like a conventional loco anyway.

12. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Bearing in mind that most of todays trains are a combination of passenger carrying vehicle and power plant, this (and its siblings at the time) is the starting point for todays trains. Fair enough in the same way that many find "units" less interesting than a loco and stock, I'm sure there are those that will see this in the same light, but its a fascinating machine nonetheless. Even the techniques required to fire it are unique - imagine trying to put coal into a firebox hole which moves as the boiler swivels with the power bogie! Similarly for some of the controls - they aren't necessarily going to be where you last let go of them. Beyond that the love and craftsmanship which has gone into bringing it back to life deserves to be seen. Sadly I can't make it down for these runs but then again I'll get a fair few rides on it at Didcot over the coming years so I'll leave the seats for others.

13. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

According to Real Train Times, the Railmotor has arrived at Liskeard nearly 15 mins early. Here's hoping for a good day tomorrow.

James at SVN

PS. I'm visiting tomorrow, and so if you spot me, please do say hello - it'll be nice to put a face to a name! I have a Panasonic camera with external microphone (and a poppy attached to the camera strap), just in case you were interested!

14. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

That is a most compelling argument and I thank you for that. A trip to Didcot will definitely be on the cards.

As for Leander, I saw that as a kid when it was resident at Barrow Road MPD, Bristol (82E) numbered 45690. I can't believe I made that mistake. Of course I refer to the Leader loco which was scrapped soon after its mainline trials (in the late 40's??). They say that the conditions for the fireman were intolerable and for one moment I thought that the same must apply to this Railmotor, but clearly not. Where does the fireman undertake his duties, by the way? In the middle all to himself as with the Leader?

Fascinating stuff!

15. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

The boiler is mounted on the power bogie - so is at one end of the coach - there is a divided off compartment from the passenger area, as much to keep the dirt etc out of the passenger area. When the driver is at that end I think its reasonably similar to a normal steam loco in that the driver and fireman can converse etc, but obviously when the driver is at the other end then the fireman is solo. Baldric would be the best one to ask as I think he's actually fired and/or driven it. Even then its a compartment with windows etc rather than the shut in box of the Leader. If you haven't found your way to the project website - The GWR Steam Railmotor and Trailer Project its well worth a look!

16. Phlogiston

Phlogiston New Member

Indeed, and 15 mins later, both 33207 and No.93 are safely tucked in for the night in the yard siding. Weather is set to be pretty good in East Cornwall tomorrow!

17. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Gonna be a long day driving down from Bedfordshire but I'm sure it will be worth it.

18. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    It is an important part of the development of the local or branch line train. The book 'Railmotor' by Robin Jones sets it all out nicely in context. I can't wait to see it working the Looe branch tomorrow. There could be a last minute spare seat!

19. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    First train was reportedly 30 mins late back at Liskeard after struggling on the climb up from Coombe Junction. Not heard anything since.

20. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Wonder if it's an adhesion or steaming issue, suspect the former...