If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway Touring Company 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Sep 10, 2015.

1. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Why would they do this if they are Riley's Black Fives? On this fixture they have always run right back to Manchester Victoria and gone on home up the hill to the ELR.

Peter in Manchester

2. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, that is correct, but I'm thinking of the hefty mileage around the coast and then run back to Manchester. I can't really recall any steam tour going around the coast and then continuing past Carnforth.

Waterbuck likes this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just had the latest RTC brochure through the door today covering trips through to well into 2017 including GBX. And a nicely produced brochure it is.

An observation. Every single image linked to each trip shows steam at the head of a rake of coaches. For each, the rear of the train is not shown or where it is there is no diesel attached. Given the law of averages I would have thought that one would have slipped in but I guess that even the photographers know how to present the product in its best possible light (and I don't mean photographic light either).

I mention this because in the T&C there is a line about the fact that "in adverse conditions....WCR may feel the need to run with a diesel locomotive attached to the rear as a precaution". It begs the question "what adverse conditions are we thinking of here?"

We all know what goes on but does the public? If they read the T&C would they be prepared? Just asking.

banana patch likes this.
  4. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Also, the same typos which are on the tour pages which I clocked nearly three months back, have also managed to be published in the brochure, which tells me that they don't check their website enough ! In regards to the pictures, there the same one's which have been used over many years now to advertise their trips. The brochure as I expected comes second to none and superbly produced, minus the typos !

5. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    I believe in recent years, most tours incorporating a Southbound run over the Coast have oringinated from London. This involves Electric Traction between Carnforth and the capital at a rough 4 hour running time.

This year, the 5's did the section from Carnforth to Manchester in under 4 hours. It'd be safe to assume the timings Northbound to Carlisle will see an earlier arrival to accomodate the earlier departute down the Coast, but the whole running time of the return trip will be unlikely to exceed the Carlisle-Whitehaven-London turns.

6. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    We get accused of being over critical but If I was a punter wanting to book a steam hauled train for the first time I'd be tempted by:
    The Dorset Coast Express for 24th August : "These trains provide plenty of opportunitiy to visit the beautiful Dorset coast and relive the golden age of steam. Passengers have the option of spending time at the celebrated seaside resorts of either Bournemouth or Weymouth, where both have fine sandy beaches. Each train will be hauled by a steam locomotive that was built for express passenger train work".
    One of the following steam locomotives will be used on this day trip:
    No. 35018 British India Line rebuilt Merchant Navy class Pacific 4-6-2, built at Eastleigh in 1945, rebuilt in 1956, and used on express passenger trains.
    No. 70013 Oliver Cromwell, Britannia class Pacific 4-6-2, built by British Railways at Crewe Works in 1951 to a standard design, and used on express passenger trains in East Anglia.
    No. 34067 Tangmere Battle of Britain class Pacific 4-6-2, built at Brighton in 1947 by the Southern Railway, for use on express passenger trains.

How can that be acceptable when they KNOW it will be 45699 assisted by a diesel??????????????

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    The one that arrived today suggests 70013 and 45699 for DCE. Website probably needs revision, though.

8. Big Al

Whoever updates the RTC website simply seems to be so distant from the day to day operational reality that these errors continue to occur. It really is bewildering that the RTC cannot seem to get a grip on this and change things the moment that it becomes clear that what is originally proposed will not happen. The alternative is just to have a standard line that says "This trip will be steam hauled...probably" ;)

OldGit, alastair and 26D_M like this.
  9. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Quite agree Alan but there are those that seem to think its unfair to expect steam charter providers to conduct their business properly and get shirty when its pointed out they ought to do better.
    The proposition seems to be that being small niche businesses somehow grants greater freedom to fall short of reasonable expectations. It may be true that what is reasonable for a small business is less than a much larger corporation but accurate, current service descriptions are a basic in any business. And they are businesses, looking to thrive commercially.
    It is all the more unsatisfactory when the closeness of the RTC/WC commercial relationship is factored in which ought to provide for a very good communication process. There just seems to be a basic lack of diligence in some key areas causing avoidable problems. There is probably lots of free help they could get too.

alastair likes this.
  10. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Mine hasn't arrived yet. Out of interest, does it show any tours for 2017 which are not yet up on the website? All the website shows at the moment are a few winter CMEs and GBX.

11. Big Al

Just the winter CMEs and then the various 2017 tours - GBX plus various other Scottish ones that are already up on their website under the Tours tab.

12. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Maybe you can find one in the local Library - in the Fiction section... ;)

13. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

John

No

Paul

14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you, Paul. I therefore won't get too excited when the post arrives today!

15. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Or with the comics...

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  16. 61994

61994 Member

Despite the website saying Leander will be on the North wales job on Sunday, a path has appeared for tomorrow from Carnforth DUGL to Crewe HC not long after the Cumbrian Mountain tour arrives into the loop, so Im guessing guardsman is now doing both tours?
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50735/2016/08/20/advanced

17. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Well are there 1 or 2 locos under steam at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    That appears to be the plan.

19. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

46115 dep Carnforth 2025 Sat to Crewe for North Wales Coast job Sun. AN

mike1522 likes this.
  20. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

What's the plan for this week's CME, loco-wise?