If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway Touring Company

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6136

6136 Member

May I just add my support to RTC.
    I have travelled with them on a number of occasions over the years and always had a positive experience despite occasional problems.
    Names? why not?
    Ian Mulcock.

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

RTC ran approx 100 Uk Tours last year and only 3 had over the top negative comments on this Forum from Memory ( 2 of these were in December).

I have not had a bad experience with RTC, and have been on 20 UK trips over the last 5 years, and have booked 4 UK Trips and 1 European trip this year so far.

3. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    Travellers like myself up north would be much poorer for choice of tours without RTC. I travel a hand full of tours a year and support RTC in giving us all a varied and interesting programme. I've just booked on the Buxton tour next month, which seems to be booking well, a tour I'm looking forward to.

Brian

4. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Posts have been removed, and stored for reference.
    Some good posts have been binned along with some pretty poor ones.
    Lets start again shall we please?

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Yes, why not. I am an avid supporter of RTC who doesn't get to do as nearly as many tours as we would like, but I would like to congratulate RTC on an adventurous and ambitious programme for 2011 as well as an impressive brochure. I look forward to our first premier dining experience on the rescheduled 'Peak Forrester' which now ties very nicely in with our first wedding anniversary! Other trips which we intend to do (subject to an improvement in our finances) are a Weymouth trip with 5029 or 4936 and the Christmas Tynesider with the A4's. Lets hope for a successful year for or our tour operators, good to hear Vintage Trains are booking well for starters.

6. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With the thread cleared may I add back in my complete support for Nigel and RTC. Really looking forward to 2011. Had plenty of superb tours over the past years since RTC began operating in the UK and look forward to many more in the years to come. Thanks for everything Nigel,the office staff,the stewards and all at WCRC/NR.

Cheers,
    Mark

1 person likes this.
  7. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Just to add my support. Yes, RTC have their faults, and, if this thread achieves anything, I would like to think that it may lead them to address some of the more constructive criticism that have been voiced (although that may unfortunately have been lost in a sea of vitriol). Having said that, like Alan and Mark, I've been on some excellent tours with RTC and I'm looking forward to more to come. For several years, as steam routes expanded, I'd had a silly dream of travelling all the way from Penxance to Thurso behind steam, but I never seriously expected it to happen ... until we did it with RTC in the original Great Britain (akthough, in fairness, I should say that the original idea for this came from the 71000 group). So, well done Nigel and all at RTC, keep it up ... but do take a look at some of the more critical points that have been raised in this thread.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    To date I have done just two RTC tours. 46115 over the S&C and 6233 over Shap, both in 2009. Both were enjoyable trips and I hope to do more with RTC this year. Currently looking at a Castle to Cornwall and a Bristol - Weymouth bash. Unlike some others, I do not have an axe to grind and hope that RTC keeps offering an interesting tour programme even if I will probably be unable to do as many as I would like.

9. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

I'm booked now on the four day West Highland bash in September, looking forward to it a lot!

10. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    I have only ever been on 1 mainline trip in 1975 with NELPG as most organisers don't do trips up in the North East. I hope to be able to do the Weardale trip with RTC this year, looking forward to it and thanks RTC for providing a local tour, again.

11. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    It's good to have stepped back from the abyss, a new start with plenty to look forward to. Life isn't likely to be easy for the railtour business this year with most people having to study their bank statements a bit more carefully.

Constructive criticism aside, we should all be on the same side. Steam to Blaenau Ffestiniog looks worth a punt this summer.

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Central Wales Explorer on the 21st May has been cancelled due to operational difficulities according to a letter I received today. I am not have much luck, I was booked on the Peak Forester.

I have to find out if the Heart of Wales Explorer on the 14th May is still running ?

13. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    I would like to say that RYTC's efforts to bring more variety to the South East are greatly appreciated by me.

14. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I'll second that Matt. The CE programme is getting a bit repetitive.

15. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Thank you to Admin,Mods + the many supportive posters. N D is very grateful for the the comments + was a lot more upbeat today as a result!

Apologies to Martin--I feel your moderation has always been AA, balanced + fair. My criticism was not. Sorry

Perhaps we can "move on"......... I hope so. Lots of positive ideas + plans afoot. Not every idea will reach fruition--many will tho'

Today, Nigel mentioned he was negotiating to use the "Blue King".............lets hope an agreement can be reached..........for later this year !!??!!

2 people like this.
  16. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Just a point, the trains are starting from St Pancras and York, IIRC, so presumably they are both setting off in the fairly early morning, so it cannot be the same engine. However, 1 of them has listed an alternative engine so there should not be a problem. Most of you will have realised this of course.

17. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Good luck, I hope it comes off, even if it's 2012 rather than 2011. If you pair it with some carmine and cream stock I suspect you'll have a long long queue.... ummmmm, even if they're mostly at the lineside..... that would be one of those tours where you'd want USA-style photo-stops / run-pasts!!!!

18. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Lets hope so Ray,that would be fantastic!

19. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

We are really disappointed about the May 21st trip getting cancellled as it was the one we were most looking forward to going on! Oh well, lets hope Nigel gets the Blue King.

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    The Heart of Wales leaves the two locos at Newport with diesel haulage back to Manchester. The following weeks return as the Central Wales was in past years the opposite of the previous week ie diesel down and steam back, again with the start and finish in Manchester. Running just the one would leave 44871 and Leander at Newport so unless a return run is organised it's an expensive le movement back home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.