If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Recommissioning after Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by johnofwessex, Mar 24, 2020.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    https://surplusenergyeconomics.wordpress.com/2020/05/03/171-inflexion-point/

Interesting reading

2. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I don't there is any dilemma as I don't think option 1 is going to be an option. At best it will be run with reduced capacity and advise that people take their own precautions. Whilst formal social distancing is required heritage railways will not be in a position to run passenger services. It is only my opinion and I could be totally wrong

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I’ve seen press coverage to that effect. It, though, builds on what you say by differentiating between industries and companies undergoing structural change, like the airlines, and those that are basically stable.

Personally, reading between the lines of that coverage, I expect a degree of tough love and tapering of the furlough scheme to enable part time working as things reopen and firms can’t sustain full working patterns. The interesting question for railway preservation will be the degree to which government limits operation, and therefore there is a claim on support due to government interference, and the degree to which they’re allowed to operate. I suspect that trade off will be critical to some railways mode of survival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitfire likes this.
  4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    personally I agree, but noticeable that some railways are talking/planning in terms of how to run with social distancing at present.

Also if the Govt want to get the economy restarted they will feel they have to encourage opening within the guidelines. All of this still has to be explained of course.

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, and that’s my point - the Government has to start picking winners and losers if it is going to make the differentiation you say.

Tom

6. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I think it will more be a case of guidelines restricting numbers as opposed insisting on being to 2m apart. Many will continue to do that anyway and we always have done so as people always have tended to sit in a seat the furthest away from other passengers. Many us may not be good at maths but get onto a tube train which is not that busy and in an instant we can calculate which seat is furthest away on average to the occupied ones and that is where well sit.

7. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Maybe depends on what is happening to the furlough scheme in July if it is extended or not?
    If not then maybe the younger returning staff could run a low operating cost DMU service, with online pre booked tickets and some kind of barcode readers to check valid tickets at platform entrances, to allow some passengers to do limited travel during the rest of the Summer season, to still allow social distancing and bring in a bit of revenue?
    Also to bring a bit of publicity and show heratige railways are still around.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  8. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Despite some very gloomy projections I remain optimistic that we will still have a vibrant heritage rail movement in 10 (and longer) years time.
    However, to restart later this year, there will have to be changes and I wonder if Mk1 coaches could be sub divided into quarters with perspex style screens, so that the end doors are used by the end quarter, the middle doors used by the middle two sections (alternately). These would be booked for the day by family or groups of "10". Stabling overnight and disinfectant sprays should eliminate infection risk. More people could/would pay to watch/photograph at Station car parks/viewing vantage points. Obviously use could be made of Non corridor "Suburban" stock but compartments hired for the day. It would certainly get some money going back into the coffers...in addition to the on-line donations.
    Many or most work on railways can be done without close contact with a bit of planning and care. I know that Driver/Firemen are close, but I suspect the cab environment is not as bad as walking around in a shop etc.

9. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

This Morning on TV had a look on how Pub/restaurants in Sweden have stayed open with enforced distancing, tables further appart and perspex screens. So is possible , but several in UK have already restarted internet ordered take away services.

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    they might be able to open like that (putting aside business model) but the key point for me whether people will be encouraged to head to tourism destinations or not. If B and B’s and hotels stay closed then heritage lines might also be forced to stay closed as if an opening of tourist attractions is attempted it may drive people into the area which may not be encouraged.

regards

Matt

11. Railboy

Railboy New Member

Here in Austria, we just started softening our strict and early restrictions. Currently we are in a posotive and "relaxed" situation because neither we do have many new infections nor are we currently fighting at the max. capacity of our healt system (we have a huge reserve)...

In the following I would like to list up our timetable for easing the restriction and the slow opening of the economy:

1st of May
    The "EXIT RESTRICTIONS", which have been in force since March 16, are expiring, but the central restriction remains: Those who are traveling in public spaces must continue to keep a minimum distance of one meter from all people who do not live in the same household. In public transport, the minimum distance only applies if it can also be observed. The obligation to wear a mask when shopping and on public transport remains. Also new: Public EVENTS with a maximum of ten participants are explicitly allowed (e.g. yoga classes in parks), up to 30 people can take part in funerals.

2nd of May
    Smaller DEALERS were allowed to reopen on April 14th, and from May shops over 400 square metres as well as hairdressers and beauty salons can open again.

4th of May
    The approximately 100,000 MATURANTS as well as pupils GRADUATE CLASSES are the first to return to schools. Everyone else stays in improvised "home lessons" for two weeks. Visits to ELDERS HOMES should also be possible again subject to certain conditions.

15th of May
    The GASTRONOMY, which is currently limited to delivery and pick-up, can again receive guests from May 15 - but under strict conditions: all guests need a seat, a maximum of four adults plus children are allowed to sit per table. The minimum distance does not apply to these, but the staff must wear mouth and nose protection. ZOOS are also allowed to reopen their outdoor area from mid-May. GOD'S SERVICES can be held again, but only one believer may come per 10 square metres. For KINDERGÄRTEN it is valid until May 15th that the "child density" is reduced, but nevertheless a childcare offer should be ensured for all parents.

29th of May
    HOTELS are currently only allowed to accommodate guests in exceptional cases, for example if they are traveling for professional reasons. Regular operations are to be permitted again from May 29th, and other tourist businesses and sights are allowed to open again. An opening at the end of May is also planned for the OUTDOOR POOLS. Appropriate editions are still being worked on. Further TOURIST OPERATIONS and ATTRACTIONS can also reopen on May 29th.

So this is the plan for Austria. I am sure we will see at least a slight increase of infected people, due to the opening, but I really hope it won't be too extreme.

The UK could maybe use the experiences and consequences of the exit strategy of Austria, in order to draw an own suitable road map.

What are your thoughts about the Austrian way of exiting the lock down?

Cheers and take care!

12. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    @Railboy

Sounds like a well structured approach, I suspect that like most things in the UK our Government will find some way of making a meal of it- in addition, my own observations suggest that there are a lot more people about than initially when the restrictions were placed.

Interestingly there is a Restaurant relatively local to me that is making plans to reopen- its the first I have heard of, its very large so I suspect that they will be able to implement distancing measures and operate on a pre-booked system.

A friend of mine in Scotland has had it suggested to him that there may be an approach of restricting travel to your district or county, meaning that should there be a further outbreak that it can be isolated and traced quite quickly- this of course depends entirely on a shift to greater provision of testing and a shift to a policy of tracing infection/contact routes.

I think it will be some time until there will be a restriction lift that allows rail for pleasure to be allowed.

Car trains anyone?

Chris

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  13. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Can’t see how you can restrict it by county, some people such as myself live in areas that border one or more counties. Where I live we are in Gloucestershire, have a Herefordshire postcode but then the Forest of Dean Council. We also border Worcestershire. The thing is that if suddenly I was only allowed on Gloucestershire as my home county you are actually increasing the amount I need to travel as the services etc are closer in Herefordshire.

Hopefully though should such a plan is implemented they will think of things like that.

14. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

My understanding is that the Italians have taken just this approach, and require permission to leave the equivalent of a county. I don't know how easy it is to obtain that permission for someone in your position.

15. Pete Thornhill

Yes will be interesting that’s for sure, even though I only live three minutes from work that is in a different county!!!

16. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I remember we stayed in a holiday cottage in Lancashire some years ago, but the garden was in Cumbria!

JBTEvans likes this.
  17. Pete Thornhill

Where I work, the office is actually on a farm and the county border actually cuts through middle of the farm.

18. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
  19. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

20. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

There may be scope for limited reopenings by the summer, but I suspect they will require subsidy and changes in the operating model. Pre-booking only to control numbers. Use of compartment stock, one group per compartment, with plastic coverings on seats to make cleaning easier. Boarding from one station only, with the compartment cleaned between trips, possibly by paid staff. Use of temporary toilets to allow social distancing. Hopefully, some of the various grant schemes on offer from the lottery and Historic England and the Arts Council can be used to subsidise costs and keep things ticking over.

The Isle of Wight is perhaps best positioned for a trial, particularly with news of the on-island contract-tracing app. One main station with relatively spacious facilities (Albeit with many pinch points), and compartment stock.

Sunnieboy likes this.