If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

record breakers

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynton&barnstaple, Jul 31, 2010.

1. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

It is interesting to note that the two most viewed threads in the narrow gauge section are 'New build Lyn' and 'Last chance hotel'. Both with over 8000 viewings shows that they have been followed by quite a high percentage of those who love NG.

2. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    They trail a long way behind the most viewed threads...

...just click on 'views' in the header bar to re-arrange the threads in order of 'popularity' - then you'll find the following:

37,661 WHR General Discussion.

31,485 FR/WHR and WHHR relations

17,565 Lyd

11,628 WHHR trains never to be given access to WHR metals for timetabled services

and with

8,786 Ffestiniog Railway Quirks & Curiosities Weekend April 30th - May 3rd between the two threads you mention...

:wink:

3. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Perhaps we should start our own forum?

4. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    YEY! Lyd is way up there, good news :D Unsuprising to see the two largest NG railways dominate the most popular threads!

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Shame this only includes threads which still exist - i suspect at least one of the *proposed railway scheme in Shropshire* threads would have given those a run for their money...!

6. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

That proposed railway scheme went at such a snail's pace I believe it beached itself..... :)

7. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

On the subject of records, what was the fastest thing on narrow gauge rails?
    To my knowledge the fastest thing on the 2’ gauge was, allegedly, a railcar built in 1914 for the anticipated visit of Kronprinz Wilhelm to the Otavi Railway in the former German South West Africa. It had a 6-cyl. Daimler-Benz petrol engine and apparently reached a speed of 85 mph (137 kph).
    So what about steam on the 2’ gauge? There is a story (probably aprocyphal) regarding a Double Fairlie on the (old) Festiniog, which was said to have reached 60 m.p.h. on the Cob between Porthmadog and Boston Lodge. In South Africa and Namibia, 40 m.p.h. was achievable by the NG15s and NGG16s; and on the 760mm gauge railways of the former Yugoslavia the speedy Class 73 2-6-2s were said to outpace photographers chasing them in their cars.

We might exclude the 3’6” gauge, as some notably high speeds have been achieved there, but do any other speed ‘records’, official or otherwise, exist elsewhere on other gauges?

Richard

8. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I could suggest No.1 Ladas when it broke away on the opening day of the Snowdon Mountain Railway.

It might seem a bit of a frivalous answer, and in the cases you have given above it may not be the case, but many of the UK steam records set rely on hills and gravity to assist. Surely the only meaningful record is self generated speed on the flat as ultimately if you had the money virtually anything could have the record if you built a long enough and steep enough track down a mountain.

In respect of steam locos, probaby the fastest in the British Isles currently running are the IoM Beyer Peacocks?

9. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We do go off thread on this one. Fastest narrow guage? Any ideas for the Glasgow underground? The Lochaber narrow guage railway used wickham "speeders" and no doubt they were.
    However, I saw a video of this at a museum. I think it is in the uK:
    http://www.martin-baker.co.uk/Sub-Navigation/Multimedia/Video/High-Speed-Test.aspx
    http://www.martin-baker.com/Services/Testing-and-Qualification.aspx
    so that's 600 knots on a 30" bullhead rail - however I think only dummies are used

You could work it up into a Railway mag article.

10. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    When the Peel & Ramsey lines exisited the I.O.M.R. even operated ambulance trains for the TT races.

11. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I would have thought a hearse would be more relevent

12. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    TT is quite a small scale. Difficult to see how serious injuries could result.

13. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

The IOM steam Loco's really do seem to rattle along. Are they not covered by the normal 25mph rule, or is the IOM different for rail just as they are with road speed limits ?

14. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Rattling isn't good, you know.

15. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    As far as record-breaking threads is concerned, It is perhaps difficult to gauge what value to put on the number of views alone. For example, many people may be intrigued by a topic title enough to come and visit once, only to discover that it isn't in fact something of interest to them.

Of more importance may be the number of posts, or the number of individual contributors - both of which will be affected bythe length of time the thread has been in existence. Equally important may be the percentage of "on-topic" posts, or the average no. posts per contributer. Collecting such statistics would however by particularly onerous, and unlikely to be worth the effort, so far as I can see.