If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Red Ties on Railwaymen

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by guard_jamie, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TseTT

TseTT New Member

Whilst not wearing red or green may or may not be mentioned specifically in the BR or NR rulebooks. I have found in a copy of "Track Safety Handbook 1992" ( BRB April 1992) page 8.

"Wear BR approved high visibility clothing................Avoid use of bright red or green outside clothing."

In any case, it is surely just common sense to not display red or green at the lineside weather its clothing, rucksack or even a brolly!!!

2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

When I joined the MHR in 1983, several people told me that signalmen had worn red ties since LSWR days, including a couple of chaps who'd worked on "the big railway". As mentioned above, loco crew, signalmen and some other staff were issued with red neck-scarves in the very early days. This stopped in the late 19th C, probably once fixed semaphore signals were universal, (I guess that's what the document in the NRM refers to) but the tradition of wearing red ties remained amoungst Sou' Western signalmen. I think it was a deviation from the letter of the regulations, but one that was tollerated by management, and it's a tradition I continue to follow. From observation, the alternatives are plain black or the MHRPS "club" tie.

3. Bill Medland

Bill Medland New Member

Deutsche Bahn
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I found this thread whilst trying to discover what colour my tie should be. I work on a German heritage railway,
    but I am allowed to put together an early British Railways uniform for working on site.

The only colour reference that I know of is the early Airfix figures box......
    It should be noted that this uniform was in use when the Airfix box set was in the shops.

I am interested in the first ten years of British Railways, can anyone tell me what years the Lion and Wheel
    cap badge was used? And if possible what was the years for the Totem cap badge?

Cheers, Bill.

airfixbox.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015