If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Repton

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Brunswick Green 2, Jul 25, 2017.

1. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Again the NYMR has done a sterling job and produced another engine from overhaul that looks splendid at the standard by which the work has been done.

I know preservation worked out differently, and that the NYMR has taken on this engine as part of the fleet that it owns and runs. It will be interesting and happy for others to see return, although for myself I have enjoyed its absence. Still, most people visiting will enjoy a ride behind it regardless of its origin and comparing it to others and so its return for the line is good to help them bolster the fleet and provide a service that brings revenue and allows successful future operations.

I'd also note that I really admire again the standard by which this work has been completed. And with Repton following the likes of 76079 and the class 25 from overhaul, the standard has been set really high. I really look forward to see 80135 returning.

banburysaint and AMP like this.
  2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Precisely. A year or so ago, I believe I read that the NYMR's attitude was that if they ever had enough engines to cover the services, they wold consider letting Repton venture beyond Whitby if someone was prepared to fund the installation of the various gadgetry needed for this. Things may be different now, but even if this is the case, it makes a Main line Schools somewhat unlikely, which is a pity given the class's capabilities, as mentioned in my post above.

3. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was just thinking of a main line schools - or other large 4-4-0 not Repton in particular, sorry if I didn't make it clear

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

926 will only have the main line equipment it needs to go to Whitby or Battersby, any further would require a lot more expense - it would only be justifiable for a loco spending most of its time on the main line.

5. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

The 2018 motive power situation looks much healthier, and Chris Price has spoken of wanting the NYMR to move from becoming a line which hires engines in to one which hires them out, so in future there might be the occasional opportunities for 926 to go mainline if some third party donor stumped up the cash for the additional kit. In the meantime she will no doubt see the odd 45mph trip to Battersby, which is a start.

26D_M, jnc and MikeParkin65 like this.
  6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Um, lets try again...... Hypothetically

If the owners agreed to release a suitable large 4-4-0 (Schools/D49/Compound/Butler Henderson/Whatever)(Even if in practice its unlikely) would you get a worthwhile return / not lose proportionately more money than anyone else running it on the main line?

Also apart from power are there any other issues that might prevent/inhibit running such a loco?

I suggest that this would be a significant addition to the 'main line steam experience' on offer at the moment

7. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

Presumably she could also do Cromer-Sheringham?

8. 61624

But how long will the NYMR's involvement in that be? I'm sure the NNR intend to take it in house eventually.

9. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

To be clear, the difference between Whitby and elsewhere on NR is OTMR, which will be needed should the NYMR decide to go to Middlesbrough or further afield.

Sawdust.

10. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    I think the NYMR going to Battersby will be more than enough for them. It saves the cost of them needing full OTMR, and the extra trips to Battersby are really the bonus when the goal is normal operation into Whitby. The line to Middlesbrough is fast getting congested, with services from Hexham and Metro centre now running as far as Nunthorpe.

I also think that the NNR would eventually want to take it in house. However, the hire, or loan of Repton to that line might work out very nicely given the length and requirements involved. Not sure if NNR needs OTMR too, but I'm thinking it doesn't. Of course that means that NYMR proper needs to have a locomotive fleet able to cover the season back up north.

11. 61624

There may be other considerations that preclude 926 running to Cromer - what is the axle load limit on that line, for example, as I believe 926 is a 22T axle load. If the NNR really want to borrow an NYMR engine they might be better off going for one of the standard 4s.

12. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    No... they would be much, much better off borrowing Repton... ;)

13. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I love the eternal optimism of those who think the NYMR loco situation will be better next year - I've heard this every year for probably the last two decades and it never is. The four engines that have held the fort magnificently so far this summer have been racking up the miles. One I think is out of ticket shortly and the other three are going to need serious winter maintainence once the season is over. If we are lucky there will be five locos available for next season but I doubt if there will be any more, and if any of them develop a major problem there will be less. The shed staff at Grosmont shed do a magnificant job keeping the show on the road but they are clearly over stretched and under resourced and that is not going to change any time soon. This is not a criticism of anyone involved , just stating the reality of the situation. Just my personal opinion.

Peter James

michaelh and 43729 like this.
  14. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

From a purely pragmatic point of view if all were working or not NYMR might take benefit from trading Repton for 80104, 828 or 75027 if any owners were interested.

drnick likes this.
  15. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

The NYMR's motive power woes over the past few years were the result of several factors: bad luck, obviously, plus questionable management decisions leading to locomotive departures and delayed overhauls and problems with morale, plus outside issues with contractors. You can't really legislate against bad luck but the recent change of several key personnel has seen an increase in morale and thus productivity. The diesel department is a case in point: until recently the NYMR's diesel fleet was mostly maintained by a single member of staff, but now there is a growing band of dedicated diesel volunteers and as a result output has increased significantly. On the steam front, barring accidents it is not unreasonable to expect that 2018 will see 29, 825, 926, 5428, 34101, 61264, 63395, 76079, 80135, and 80136 in service, together with 65894 part of the time and all being well 60007 too. I fully accept your analysis of recent years, but I think that the reality on the ground is different now. Also, I think I'm right in saying that the line's motive power problems are a relatively recent phenomenon and that things were pretty good for a period of about twenty years from, I suppose, 1987.

banburysaint likes this.
  16. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

926 and 73672 were donated to the NYMR on very strict conditions: it cannot sell them (and presumably also cannot swap them) but must, if it no longer requires them, donate them to another 'railroad charity'. Cliff Brown's lawyers were American, hence the terminology.

17. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Not really restrictive as most heritage railways are either owned by or have a captive charity and you just agree to do simultaneous deals.

18. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with Repton [or for that matter 73672] visiting even for say 2 seasons other lines up and down the land. As no doubt there'll be members/supporters of other lines who'd love to have her for a visit and speaking as a member of the Moors I like many other members have our wish list of engines from elsewhere......

19. 43729

43729 New Member

Not sure the morale would stay so good if the first thing the railway did with a loco fresh out of the box was to swap it for another

Speaking purely for myself if it happened to me I'd be furious.

cjbarnes5294 likes this.
  20. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I am well aware of the background to the NYMR's loco problems in recent years and the recent improvements in morale and productivity are astounding - how else has a very demanding service been kept afloat by just four engines? You may think nothing of it but it is nothing short of amazing that the shed has kept these engines so available and they deserve every praise. But come on......... you do not seriously expect all the locos you mention being ready next year. One of the problems that we experience is the gross over optimism about how easy it is to overhaul, repair and maintain these locos. Lets get real - there are just not the resources available to carry out all the necessary work in the time before next season. Come back on 1st Aug - Yorkshire Day - next year and I will be delighted - but very surprised - if I am proved wrong. Blimey I'm starting to sound like PH! - time to shut up.

Peter James

jnc, Paul42 and Rosedale like this.