If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Route Availability.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Eightpot, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On former LNER lines locos were restricted as to where they could run by their axle weight. Pacifics, V2s and the W1 with around 22 tons axle loads were the highest rated and classified as RA9.

That said, and with the possible exception of the GCR, how could it be that such heavy locos run on preservation lines that obviously only permitted a lower axle load in former BR times?

andrewshimmin likes this.
  2. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I suspect the answer is that many preserved branch lines have been relaid to a far higher standard.

On a similar note, the GWR had a colour-coded route availability scheme. What did the LMS and Southern do? Did BR have a unified scheme?

3. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    A combination of restricted speed (Heritage lines should not allow running faster than 25 mph) and the higher standard that some lines adopt. When Steamport was active in Southport it was often said that the museum line was better than the siding connecting the museum to the national network.

4. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What's now the Mid Hants was one of few single track secondary routes cleared for the heaviest axle loads, so they've got no explaining to do!

Forces, such as hammer blow, imparted to the track, are significantly less at 25mph than at the higher speeds often employed during a line's commercial existence, which covers some cases, plus many lines have upgraded track and infrastructure since preservation, though there are concerns expressed that the civil engineering here and there really isn't suitable for some of the heavier locos regularly traversing them.

During Southern days, the restriction on the Horsham to Guildford line (traditionally a haunt of locos such as D1s,D3s and later, M7s and 2MTs) was temporarily eased in order that 'Schools' class loco 'Cranleigh' could be named at it's 'home station'. I don't know from which end, or at what speed the loco was operated, but I'd guess 'from Guildford' and 'low', in that order.

As an aside, I seem to recall that 'Evening Star's' first preservation era jaunt on the West Somerset was only possible with restictions on coal carried in the tender to keep the axle load acceptable.

5. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Same when the 8F first arrived at the SVR: no more than 4 1/2 tons of coal and2500 gallons of water.

30854 likes this.
  6. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    On the NYMR, Track relaying with Sleepers per length increasing from 24 to 26 or 28.
    Heavier rail, Deeper ballast and centralising the track across the formation, especially on bridges to reduce outward thrust on the structures.

30854 likes this.
  7. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Likewise on the mainline: the Black 5 used on the Cambrian Coast was limited on coal carried, stopping to refuel at Porthmadog on the outward journey.....