If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Duchy 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Hemerdon, Jun 12, 2015.

1. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are so many things that could have gone wrong from the simplest (extremely unlikely) of forgetting to add enough oil/wrong trimmings etc., through to some form of unexpected mechanical failure in the lubrication system/feed pipe lines that surely it is prudent at this stage to let the right people get on with fixing it without froth.

Re comments on running in - it has had a fair bit of that already anyway given its trip to London, then on to Bristol albeit not under full load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    A very contradictory statement?

johnnew likes this.
  3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Martin, you did question the fitness to run,
    "Sometimes i do wonder, was the test run enough to ensure everything was bedded in?"

That to me, and I expect others, is casting doubt on whether u enough running was done, and unless you are directly involved with any main line loco, I would be fairly certain that you actually have no idea how much running in is required yet you question those involved.

maureen likes this.
  4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    24_2A1 "How much was due to axle flex we don't know but we could carry out an exercise on a preserved example in order to examine the extent of the two factors."
    Who is this we, and who is going to fund this exercise?

maureen likes this.
  5. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

I think he has every right to ask if enough loaded running in was done, and the outcome backs up his question, how many times has this sort of failure occurred recently.

She also sat down on the WCML as well remember...

The losers are the punters once again, its a recurring theme...

34098 likes this.
  6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    If all the "experts" that appear on NatPres when incidents like this occur would care to offer their services to the preservation world, I'm sure we would have 100% reliability in our national steam fleet. :rolleyes:

7. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Very general statement to make,how do you know that these people who have an opinion,don't already do that,
    Seems like a few people can't accept others opinions.

8. Spamcan81

Training moles
    How do I know? Quite simply by the rubbish they post. Most true experts don't waste their time spouting on the Internet, they simply get on with the job and let others do the frothing.

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Ignore the Nat Pres experts.

Just count those who regularly buy tickets. I think those that have had more than a few trips ruined by locos failing on train, or even not turning up as originally booked when they parted company with their cash over the last few years have every right to question what the loco owners are doing with the locos. They don't need to be experts to ask questions. They just need to be regular paying customers. IMHO.

gricerdon and alastair like this.
  10. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    Threads get more and more pointless on here if people constantly post nonsense! Make it stop!

Anyway I'm travelling on the 6th of September so all of you lot get up to Crewe depot and make sure 70000 is in fine fettle for the journey. I expect his multi million pound restoration centre and locomotive works could use the invaluable advice posted here!!

I will of course try and provide updates on the day :)

Spamcan81 and KentYeti like this.
  11. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

So you are saying that people can't do both ?

I'm not claiming to be an expert at all, but I feel like I can and have done both.
    or aren't I allowed an opinion,should i keep quiet ?
    I don't think so.
    people need to be a little less rose tinted and realise that the railway is changing.
    Diesels (Correct Term used are they AREN'T BOXES, Same as Steam locos aren't Kettles or tea pots)
    Diesels are gonna be come part of the railtour scene because it needs to evolve with the times.
    problem is you so called experts see a video of a diesel on the back switched on or in a low notch , carrying its own weight and you think the diesel is shoving away.
    A diesel yesterday would have ment that instead of being 2 hours late into par, They could have been there less late.
    I feel sorry for the passengers, FGW,Crosscountry and network rail who for the second time in the space of a month have had to put up with a tour failing, miles away from where the nearest suitable rescue diesel was.
    How much more can you expect the tocs and normal fare paying passengers on service trains to take,
    The aftermath of Tangmere failing to climb a hill blocking the mainline for two hours on FGWs social media showed, that normal peopl won't accept failure.
    If you told them they left a loco behind in bristol which could have saved on delays, 99.9% of people would ask why the hell didnt they take it for that outcome ?
    You need to accept that either you pay more by having less coaches or paying for a 47 to be sat on a siding near by just incase ,
    there are gonna be big changes are on the way or say goodbye to steam on the mainline....

your choice

12. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Wow.

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

As an add on to my post above. At my peak of line siding photography a few years back I was a member of the MNLPS. And made at least one donation as I wasn't travelling on the trains I was photographing, (no surprise there, I don't fit the profile of a Pullman passenger!).

I emailed the MNLPS offering to help at Stewarts Lane, giving an honest appraisal of my abilities.

I didn't even get an acknowledgement email back.

BillyReopening likes this.
  14. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I for one shall look forward to your updates with interest BillyR!

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Everyone has a right to ask questions Herr Yeti, especially the paying passenger as you rightly say, but it's some of those providing the "answers" that I have my doubts about.

16. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Not exactly sure but the guys were looking at the centre set of driving wheels, hence speculation at the time was about an overheated big end. 20150816_115050 Crop.jpg

17. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Probably not P.C but I have to laugh...this picture looks like they found a migrant from Calais in the middle big end!!!!!!!!

18. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Full marks to Network Rail on Sunday for quickly producing a replacement schedule for the unfortunate passengers returning to Bristol.
    The punters were able to spend 90 mins longer in Cornwall but manged to arrive back at Bristol just 12 mins later than originally planned. <BJ>

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Sadly you are missing the point. The question of whether or not a diesel is added to a train has been debated ad nauseum on here and I think all sensible minded people understand when and why one may be included. In an ideal world it is publicised up front. VT is very good at doing this and so you pay money knowing what will happen and what part the DL will play.

Banging on about the Royal Duchy is the wrong target. In both cases, each locomotive was up for the job and it was a mechanical failure that caused the problem. That can happen on a diesel charter as well. It's as pointless sticking another diesel in the mix of a diesel charter as insurance as it is adding one to a steam charter. In each instance you expect the rostered motive power to do the job. If there is a failure then the inconvenience is equally annoying and disruptive whatever is up front.

The important factor is each piece of machinery, its reliability record and how it is maintained. That is exactly what all locomotive owners and owning groups should focus on and it's bizarre to even think that they may not. However, some seem more successful than others, that is true, but your assertions about diesels in the mix just don't make sense and will probably kill off some of the main line steam market if it ever became the norm.

maureen likes this.
  20. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Which is your ultimate wish judging by the rubbish you spout on here & elsewhere.
    As for the last few words in your first paragraph, YES PLEASE!