If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Duchy 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Hemerdon, Jun 12, 2015.

1. maureen

maureen Member

Not everyone on the failed charter was on the platform those that were in premier dining had far better things to do like having their lunch, you pay good money for the food so why would you want to leave your plate and vacate your seat just to see what's going on, you are all talk about feeling sorry for FGW, will you be feeling sorry for the inconvenience caused to their passengers with the two strikes this sunday and the August bank holiday weekend that FGW are proposing? Oh and if NR had said a diesel was mandatory they would have had to take it along,

2. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    I sincerely hope you are not referring to who I think you are!

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Before this veers this thread wildly off topic let's not even go there.....

4. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm afraid I cannot do that, this place needs a voice of reason.

5. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Why in gods name have you started gibbering on about food ?

What has lying to fgw got to do with them striking,
    I quote paper work submitted states royal dutchy x amount of dates , steam loco and cl 47 load 9.

Why turn round and say a diesel would be in the consist two trips in a row ,then have the brass neck to leave it behind and have to rush it down from Bristol after the steam failed ??
    Something's not quite right,bit like some of the clientele that frequent tours as of late.

6. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    You're only posting to wind people up...elsewhere online that's called trolling and it's been done to death. Post your opinion, we will all debate it, fine - that's the whole point of a forum. But harping on over and over again and then calling yourself 'the voice of reason' just makes you sound daft.

Mods say move on. Move on.

Spamcan81 likes this.
  7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Al had 5mins 50 but I think the steam record was 5 mins 37 secs. Would need to check my little red notebooks. There were so many fast starts in those last few years

thickmike likes this.
  8. Tony172

Tony172 New Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The paper work that shows a DL is purely for the stock move to and from Southall not for the trip!! And trust me I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 83B

83B Member

Yes, he is definitely winding people up probably sat at his laptop roaring with laughter.

Best thing is to ignore and do not reply as it only fuels his fire!

upload_2015-8-19_9-14-9.png

maureen and alastair like this.
  10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Maybe, but I'm afraid you're not sounding very reasonable. I'm ignoring you from now on, and I suggest everyone else does the same.

11. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Wow - 5:37 - that's really going for it - I feel humbled and inadequate :) Trouble was, only being 15 in 1966 meant there wasn't much money for trips further than Woking on a rail rover - perhaps that's why I am prepared to fork out significant sums now to travel by steam whenever I get the chance (and also whether there's a diesel on the back or not). The VSOE/Belmond is the only thing that's really too expensive as far as I am concerned. Mention of Clan Line - I wonder whether the Network will welcome her back when she's finished her overhaul, particularly if it takes anything like as long as last time? That's another reason why I'll go anywhere on steam - I am not convinced how much longer there will be mainline steam and don't want to be sitting at home in 10 years time with a nice little savings account accumulated from not going on trips and saying "I wish I'd gone on those trips".

Anyway, that's all for now folks! Back to pointless points scoring.

RalphW and KentYeti like this.
  12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

5.35 with 35003 at 90mph. And I think a light pacific on 6 did it in around 6 minutes start to stop!

And Mike, your beer didn't spoil the punch up. It went into the early hours of the morning! Yee Haa. Only I was asleep dreaming of well rounded 25 year old Bavarian Serving Wenches whose only words of English were "yes please".

So I told them:

:Resistanceisfutile:

Be so good to get reports of the Royal Duchy on here again. What are the odds of that happening due to:

1. A steam loco not working the train due to non appearance, running hot, slipping too much, stalling, loco owners fearful of adding more fuel to this thread, loco crews hiding somewhere for fear of adverse comments here due to them not doing exactly what the armchair experts tell them to do. Etc.

2. This wonderful thread being moved to the New General Comment boxing ring?

Do hope the mods don't intervene too much, it is such fun reading it.

thickmike and MellishR like this.
  13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Exactly how I felt in my dreams last night Mike! :(

14. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Nay nay and thrice NAY..............................Words of wisdom.;)

thickmike likes this.
  15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    And the question you asked was "would you like me to go away and stop bothering you?" :)

thickmike likes this.
  16. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Oh dear, we're stooping to insulting those who pay their hard earned money to go on the tours. Kind of destroys any argument you care to make.

KentYeti, MellishR, maureen and 3 others like this.
  17. Spamcan81

Training moles

Corrected that for you.

OldGit, Paul42, maureen and 3 others like this.
  18. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I'm not sure whether there's much point in posting this, as its not germane to the proper subject of this thread, but it is germane to some arguments on here.

When you have stated and explained your opinion, and others have disagreed, it's easiest to agree to disagree. If you can present a fresh argument in support of your opinion, that's fair enough, but reiterating what you have said before, whether in the same or different words, gets nobody anywhere. Also, the stronger the opinions, the louder the arguments but the less the prospect of either side being persuaded to change their position.

Returning to the proper topic: as far as I can see, two steam loco failures in close succession on the Royal Duchy were an unfortunate coincidence. And they were different failures in different places. As has been pointed out, all kinds of motive power do fail sometimes, as do signalling, turn-outs, etc. Backups are handy but not always practicable (e.g. alternative routes).

It is also unfortunate that the pool of main-line-certified steam locos has dwindled recently, with some temporarily out of action and some others not yet quite ready to start operation. But I remain amazed and delighted that there are so many steam-hauled trains, all these years after 1968.

thickmike, alastair, Paul42 and 3 others like this.
  19. MellishR

There's more than one candidate. But if the cap fits ...

20. MellishR

which no-one else here can offer?