If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Duchy 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Hemerdon, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some brilliant videos. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Let's rewind briefly to #624 when the RTC let it be known quite late in the day that the loco owners had requested that one coach needed to be taken off the Royal Duchy. Having seen the videos, I now realise that this was to reduce the total load from 10 to 9 and I wouldn't mind betting that the moment LSL realised that their loco would be taking 10 over the Devon Banks, they put their foot down.

So, a question. At what point did anyone think it would be ok for a Class 7 to take 10 over the Devon Banks after the Tangmere incident? Well done to LSL for being ahead of the game. It seems that nobody else was, especially the RTC who were merrily taking bookings for a 10 coach train until they were stopped. Interesting.

david1984, green five and Tony172 like this.
  2. Tony172

Tony172 New Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But No9 managed load 10 with no problem, the load didn't cause the hotbox it was a machining problem! If a class 7 can take 10 over the banks then surely a class 8 can??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That's my point. A Class 7 cannot take 10 over the Banks - 9 is the limit - so why was the train originally down for 10 until LSL spotted the issue, had a coach taken off and sadly disappointed Billyreopening?

By the way, I don't recall No 9 taking 10 over the banks either. I thought it was 9 and anyway, an A4 is a Class 8 not a Class 7. I rest my case.

4. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Looks as though it was a cracking run yesterday as the reports and video's show. As Mr Meanley has mentioned elsewhere, it would be interesting to know who the chaps were shoveling allowing Drivers Churchill & Roberts to see what 70000 could do, I'm sure Mr Birmingham might have been involved somewhere along the line potentially?

RalphW likes this.
  5. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

They weren't going to take any risks with a locomotive that has been performing exceptionally this year. Which is what Brittania has been doing. Great job on the people who made the right decisions prior to yesterday's run. More decisions like this need to be made to keep mainline steam alive.

6. My video from yesterday. A great day following a superbly turned out and performing locomotive. Please ignore the arsehole who decided that he wanted to chat over my going away shot at Hemerdon, who then proceeded to tell me that I should chill and that perhaps I should have the road closed for me as well! This followed up with 'perhaps you should go somewhere where no one else goes' when I said some consideration for others wouldn't go amiss! Mind you I had only waited on there for 5 hours to get the shot!

KentYeti, Sheff and Western Venturer like this.
  7. Comment unecessary! GWR at its best.

8. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    Hi Everyone,

Here's a few of my pics from the day - I'll post the whole Flickr album later if people are interested - I didn't quite get the light right in a lot of these so i've had to do a bit of re-processing afterwards! There was a very lucky little kid at the Par Depot who's dad clearly works for DB Shenker who got the best view out of all of us (see in my pics below)!

IMG_8032.jpg IMG_8037.jpg IMG_8061.jpg IMG_8078.jpg IMG_8082.jpg IMG_8084.jpg IMG_8125.jpg IMG_8138.jpg IMG_8152.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    KentYeti likes this.
  9. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Agree. Personally I think my initial post about the support coach and the short follow up discussion was relevant here but will go with the mods decision. The problem is that there is splintering on boards. Example do photos of a train run go in photos or the train thread? (But don't add an off topic debate on that here please.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

PS. I've just edited the post above - I embeded the pictures incorrectly so now they are thumbnails and won't be a pain to open the thread! sorry all!

11. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

PPS. I don't know if any Nat Pres members were standing with me at the Turntable - but a few photographers said hello and made a fuss of my Dog which was brill and he kept quiet while we were all waiting for 70000 to appear!

KentYeti likes this.
  12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Great footage thanks - though personally I think that with regard to 'atmosphere' the iPad screens and flash on the night-shots are more intrusive than Joe Public chatting about the load :)

EveningStar92220 likes this.
  13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

A nice and very interesting set of photos Billy, many thanks. I love the one that has a dark faced Mr Knowwun about to walk onto the foot crossing in the lower right corner!

springers and BillyReopening like this.
  14. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

As for the videos. Superb one and all. I do love those Brits. Might make an exception and drag my stop watch out of retirement and get me a run behind one again before long.

I'd prefer Carlisle - Preston on the main line, (as in the 14.00 ex Glasgow in days gone by), but may have to settle for elsewhere.

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Took me a while .......

KentYeti and BillyReopening like this.
  16. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Hehe! Looking at them again I think they are all a bit bright - these are my first experiments with the camera in full manual mode - eg. Not being helped with aperture or shutter speed - I think they are fstop a bit high so wi bear that in mind next time, it was however a very bright sunny day!

The last turntable shot was a total fluke - there is an 8foot mesh fence around the turntable at Par and I just reached my camera over the top and pointed it at Britannia and that's the shot I got!

KentYeti likes this.
  17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Questions need to be asked frankly if anyone is proposing a single headed steam working of load 10 over the banks, regardless of what's up front, as far as I'm aware the only loco even given a green light for such a weight in pres was 46233, even most class 8's are limited to 9, so to be proposing 10 rather suggests someone is playing fast and loose with load limits, something we can't allow to happen anymore for everyone sake, reduce the load or take a second loco.

18. AMP

AMP Member

60163 also took 10 coaches in March 2013, managed reasonably easily but had pretty good conditions

Andrew

19. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Fair do, the points stands however that load 10 is pushing things, even if a good 8 can take it in reasonable conditions.

20. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Not for the first time, either. Photographic evidence (http://www.totnestrains.com/a1.html) indicates Load 10 for Tornado's first foray over the Devon banks in August 2009 (Tamar Tornado) - although Six Balls Junction records 9 vehicles in the "stock used" entry. And according to the timing information published on that site, the eastbound PLY-EXD time achieved was a respectable 65 minutes, compared with 69 minutes on the March 2013 trip.

But, to underpin david1984's point, its worth mentioning that, according to Six Bells Junction, the 2013 Cathex trip was originally scheduled as a "15P" double-header with either Nunney Castle or Braunton, neither of which, in the event, were available. So clearly a Load 10 challenge for 8P power wasn't originally being contemplated for this trip.