If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Scot Bristol-Crewe 13 June & Crewe-York 14 June

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, May 27, 2016.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In bringing this thread to its natural conclusion can I mention something that has already been said on another thread by someone who knows about the working of a Class 67?

In order for the diesel to operate the ETH/air con on the train (and that's why it was there), it has to be set to run at a relatively high speed. That's why the videos are showing a fairly consistent note from the diesel. That does not mean it was assisting and the video at around 4 min confirms this as the train is halted just over the summit? We also know that DBC operating procedures do not allow diesel assistance at the rear except in approved situations.

I have no first hand information about this trip but it looks as though the crew probably made a good call by getting the train to the top of Copy Pit and then stopping to sort out the fire as best they could with the coal they had been given before continuing.

MikeParkin65 and 1020 Shireman like this.