If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

As one who travels with the RTC and enjoys the adventure of some of their tours, I too am pleased when there is a response to some of the issues raised by NP members.

Two aspects continue to puzzle me. First, the RTC has not improved the accuracy of its publicity both on line and in their printed programme despite the inadequacies having been pointed out many times. Second, when there is a response from Nigel Dobbing, it is almost invariably grudging and with a sense of irritation that a problem has been pointed out. Neither helps his business.

Drysdale and Big Al like this.
  2. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Clan Line out of gauge around Yeovil, its home territory? Yet another NR madness as per No 9 at Carlisle

Don

spindizzy and Drysdale like this.
  3. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    I feel that the publicity IS better than a few years ago given deadlines with more updates online and letters sent to tour participants but I am sure it can be improved!
    Some of us find posting difficult and don't carry laptops. As a result a post is made on a mob phone taking ages(with a v old Nokia !)and late at night in a far off land several time zones away.
    I defend RTC because-Nigel is a friend
    -I still want a lot of track which NO other operator is likely to do with steam (Canon St!)
    -without RTC the mainline would be v dull
    -provides a lot of employment in areas with high unemployment ESP indirectly
    -many of the trips are massively ambitious such as GB 7 but also the 4 Ukraine trips with 2 huge P36 to CRIMEA.
    These were the ONLY steam tours to Sevestopal and Simferopol EVER..........Most other tours to Ukraine were v tame by comparison.Rackov,yes,but not hundreds and hundreds of steam kms. Same in Syria,Eritrea,Africa to MOZAMBIQUE(v v v v rare)and a planned crossing of Sweden! The last 2 Tasmania mainline trips and the first overseas group over the complete length of the Wilderness Railway with a dubbs rack loco(not poss at present). many parts of the overseas program have produced rare and "impossible"itineries......and ,yes,changes do have to be made at short notice but frequently a rabbit is pulled out of the hat that delights participants and locals alike!

Nigel is a long way from home and gets v upset at some anti RTC posts even if the poster intends to be constructive

I built my business up from scratch and LOATH criticism of staff,pricing policy,anything and can be v prickly. It can be like your own children or grandchildren. They may have faults but not always welcome them being pointed out especially by highly intelligent enthusiasts who can often work out the likely scenario .......

I am most concerned ND will stop or reduce the hardcore element of RTC as financially it is not important to RTC and one offs are at best marginal and at worst loss makers when ALL the costs are put in.

Gb7 46233 may playa greater role. Bris northwards.But Chester is no longer allowed so via Crewe instead. If the Brit is unavailable in the far West another loco is needed. St Blazey turntable may no longer turn..........yes,all good fun. Oh,and the coal!!!!!!!!!

I enjoy our hobby.lets keep it friendly and be gentle in criticism . In the season of Lent we should perhaps be reflecting and slow to anger

Now.....there's a thought

Ray Mason in a wet,train less Dawlish!

spicer21 and Big Al like this.
  4. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Ps lynemouth may still be possible if a coal train that is timetabled doesn't run on Sat as I believe local arrangements might be possible!
    Sadly ,I cannot be on this tour next sat which is like an epic LCGB tour of the 1960s
    The reference to the Duchess is due to problems with the Brit and a plan B being prepared. Refusing Chester for a duchess!
    What next? No WC/MN at Waterloo......

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Thanks Ray. I'm sure many of us on here really appreciate the time and effort you put into responding to some of the issues raised on this forum. Speaking for myself, I generally try to be sympathetic to the fact that the charter business on railways is a complex business. Trips like Saturday's foray to Whitby are testament to the patience of the organiser in proposing a plan that is subsequently completely at the mercy of third parties. However, when they work, they can work very well, and are a credit to all involved. I'm now looking forward to this Saturday's shindig, and getting to Lynemouth would be a pleasant surprise and the icing on an already epic cake. Keep up the good work, RTC!

6. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

46233 isn't the only ex-LMS loco NR won't allow through Chester, 46115 & 48151 are banned too. These gauging issues certainly seem to be becoming a recurring problem at the moment...

Drysdale likes this.
  7. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    RayMason likes this.
  8. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

The specific 'prohibit' relates to an overbridge at Mickle Trafford, not Chester itself. Work had been due to be undertaken, under a specific Network Rail enhancement scheme, last autumn, but the booked posession was subsequently cancelled, so it has fallen back down the queue.

It is very easy to be critical of NR's gauging process (and there is also much that can be said about the system by which the network is maintained to prescribed tolerances) but it is now, like many industries, based heavily on computer modelling and comparisons with data gathered by the gauging measurement trains; the gauging engineers have to assess the safe clearances identified, as, effectively, the shape is passed through the holes, by this program.

It should also be borne in mind that vehicles not otherwise contained within the Sectional Appendix - and steam locos are not in the SA, along with, in certain routes, several types of heritage diesels - are treated as 'out-of-gauge loads', especially where data is not readily available for their 'dynamic' behaviour, ie. when in motion. Additional safety allowances are therefore made, which result in 'prohibits' being issued, even though practical knowledge may suggest otherwise.

Be assured that it is in no one's interests to issue such 'prohibits' arbitrarily (other than for safety) and steam loco owners, operators and Network Rail are well aware of the problems it causes and working solve them. An awful lot of work has gone on recently, which should improve matters but it is a very frustrating and slow process, involves a very small but dedicated cross-industry team.

JS

spicer21, ADB968008, RayMason and 4 others like this.
  9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for all that Ray, I do feel that some of the problems arise from people sitting at their keyboard, bashing away with a complaint and posting without a second look at what they have put. Constructive and well thought out comments/criticisms will always have far more weight and effect that a badly worded rant.

10. Drysdale

Drysdale Guest

I think the part about "bashing away at a keyboard and posting without a second look at what they have put" also relates to the person or persons who maintain the RTC website. Which is precisely which causes many of these complaints.

Enterprise likes this.
  11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Posts 323 and 328 by Ray and James respectively are really helpful and in my view begin to rebalance comments on this thread. There is absolutely no reason at all why key people in key organisations should bother to engage with Nat Pres. (I don't for example expect Justin King to respond to anything I may legitimately feel about key elements of Sainsbury's business as it affects me). On the other hand, there is an important interconnection between provider and customer in steam preservation that is actually rather unique, I think. That's something to cherish as one cannot exist without the other, especially the general tolerance of the paying public for all the reasons we don't need to rehearse again.

Having said all that there are definitely a few things that can make life a lot easier for the RTC on the PR side. The fact that they ARE easy is possibly why the frustration sometimes bubbles over.

spicer21 and RayMason like this.
  12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Need I say more....

RayMason likes this.
  13. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I notice that the 'Valleys Explorer' has been brought forward to Sunday 20 July. It actually helps me out quite a bit as I didn't relish the fact that I was going to drive to Bristol from Crewe that morning after a 14-16 hour trip up to Scotland the day before.

14. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Helps me and I guess several others out as well Also there are changes to "The Tin Bath" According to the RTC website this tour is now be hauled by 44932 + 48151 double -headed, the steam section is now extended from Manchester to Crewe on the return, the train returning to Wigan diesel hauled via the WCML but then seemingly to Blackburn rather than Preston. It is extremely commendable of RTC to notify these changes so far in advance. Thank you.

15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Yes, full marks for effort to the RTC.

16. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Saw in Steam Railway yesterday about the proposed Seaford tour in June. It sounds an interesting trip with 70013 but its due to go down the Newhaven Marine branch. If I remember correctly when 70000 was in charge of a Cathedrals Express from Lewes in 2011 it was due to be stabled there but was out of gauge.

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

It ran t & t with a Duff ecs on the day, reversing at Hampden Park and running ecs from there to Lewes.

See pic

Don

18. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    That's how it ran on the day but I'm sure it was due to run to Newhaven the day before to stable the stock but gauging prevented it from happening so it was changed to go to Hampden Park.

19. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

yes correct so unless anything has changed it won't get to Newhaven if hauled by a Brit. Steam has been to Newhaven though 45231 from memory around 2005

Don

20. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Your memory is correct, Don. It was 13th July 2005. The picture you will see above my name was taken later that very day at St. Leonard's Warrior Square.