If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Sep 25, 2013.

1. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Time to mainline Gazelle or would NR find that out of gauge too?

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Once upon a time, there was a person who made a judgement about whether something was in or out of gauge. It was based on the available data and involved a professional judgement within certain tolerances. Now there is a person who reads from a computer screen what the software tells him/her is, or is not ok. There is probably no room for professional judgement any more because if the software says 'no' who would be brave enough to say otherwise? The implications would be dire if an opposite call was made and there was a problem. So the knowledge and judgement of the human is usurped by the technology. So how does the human continue to develop the expertise to be able to call against what the machine says? After all, the software has been created by a human with the same potential failings as the operative.

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I see the two-day Bristol to Edinburgh leg of GBVII has been put up for those who do not wish to do the full tour. Accommodation is at your own expense. If they offer the Edinburgh-Inverness (via Aberdeen) leg as a one-way option, or even a return option (preferably without the Kyle of Lochalsh line for cost reasons- I have a vested interest in this as I'm doing this route in May) I'd seriously consider jumping at the chance and not mind organising my own accommodation/return journey or enjoy a day at leisure in Inverness.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  4. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Ha, apologies for late reply, have been a little preoccupied, but yes you're right, the answer was pretty obvious with a little thought, : )

5. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

I have arrived late to this thread, and much of what I would have said at the time these postings were current, has been said by other members. I would add however that while I have huge sympathy for RTC, and especially Nigel re the issues discussed, it has to be remembered I feel, that if people didn't travel on these trains there'd be absolutely no point in them running, whatever may be said about the motivation of those behind them, and the apparent reality that they offer little return in relation to the time / expense involved in putting them on.

I do take on board Roy's remarks re the website, and difficulties in updating it, but if I'm honest, telling us, the customers all about how difficult the job can be, and how frustrating it is to read "keyboard style" criticism can do nothing to help your case as the likely reaction will be, "what's that got to do with me ?" "not my problem" etc Roy's idea that we PM Nigel should we spot anything on the website that's incorrect is a good one, but I'm not convinced it'll work unfortunately, and is likely to result in Nigel getting his inbox bombarded with PMs about fine detail issues which are likely to absorb a lot of his precious time.

Thinking about how Steam Dreams operate, i.e. employing an MD and Ops Manager to deal with a lot of the day to day stuff seems to make sense, and allows Marcus R to focus his efforts on what he's best at. Shouldn't ND consider adopting similar practices at RTC ? We know there's an Office Manager, but what about the Ops side. It sounds like ND has his fingers in most of those pies, thus spreading his expertise rather thinly if that makes sense ? That would be the case with anyone btw, there's nothing special about ND in that regard.

Best see how things go, but suspect these discussions will run and run, and continue to be rehashed, recycled, reheated, then left to cool down before the process starts all over again.

Such is life ! : )

6. Big Al

All fair comment in your post. And it also illustrates how easy it is for text to suffer from glitches. No doubt Roy (Ray?) will forgive you for that!

7. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Oh yes, oops, sorry for that. It was rather later I seem to remember. I don't usually get names wrong, but you're absolutely right Al, dodgy detail llike that can result in the meaning being completely changed. All the more reason for someone else to proof read it before it goes public I would have thought, but then it sounds like they don't have the resources to do that.

8. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
  9. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
  10. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    60007 on 19th April to Kingswear vice 70000/70013.

green five likes this.
  11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Great news. I wondered if she would as she is ideally positioned after this weeks CE trip. A good bit of extra work for her too.

12. Big Al

That is an absolute bonus. Brilliant. Looking forward to her blasting up Whiteball.
    So we have:
    April 10 - SNG from Westbury to Kingswear - SD - £115
    April 19 - SNG from Westbury to Kingswear - RTC - £89

I know which one I'll be on.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Drysdale likes this.
  13. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Would SNG also be be positioned right for the GB doing the segments w/5029 as well?

14. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

I hear SNG could possibly now be doing the last leg of GB VII York - KIngs Cross as 46233 has not been recently gauged into Kings Cross and it is now doing Bristol - Grange over sands on Day 3.

15. Big Al

Well it wouldn't surprise me as despite the RTC's best intentions it seems that they (and SD) will now have to factor in "recent steam activity over this line" when thinking about motive power. Network Rail clearly finds it inconvenient when they have to consider different locomotives over the various charter routes. If they are going to persist with this gauging time limit rule, then we may find ourselves locked into having set locos over set routes in future. Given the fact that it's almost impossible to guarantee loco availability and therefore rostered locos often change, this is becoming yet another 'curve ball' to haunt steam charter planners and operators.

Drysdale likes this.
  16. mike1522

Maybe RTC could use Victoria Station. Isn't there a connection between the ECML and Victoria. 6201 did it that way for 2011 Cathedrals Explorer day 1. The segment, Victoria-Stevenage-York.
    Lizzie also did King Cross-York on April 28, 2011. This is not good. I'm glad that I remembered that date.

This gauging issue is going to become more troublesome though. Something needs to be done to solve this issue. In fact that would be a good thread to start.

Anything to ease the burden for the tour operators.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  17. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's good news - an A4 is always welcome in the West; has one ever got to Penzance? With problems at St Blazey turntable, steam in Cornwall may become rare.

18. malc

malc Part of the furniture

One only has to compare the timings from the London terminus to Potters Bar to see the problem with using Victoria...

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t12/t0518a.htm

Victoria depart 12.00
    Potters Bar pass 14.00

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t11/t0428a.htm

Kings Cross depart 09.24
    Potters Bar arrive 09.46

i.e. using Victoria involves a long trundle round the suburbs and adds well over an hour to the journey time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  19. mike1522

did you have something to say? Just wondering

20. Big Al

The trouble with arriving at Victoria is that not everything can run down to the buffers at Platform 2. The Duchess may be one of those for whom this is a problem. It also takes an eternity going via the Nth London line and Kew.

mike1522 likes this.