If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    More serious is the St Blazey turntable. GBVII has been tweaked so that steam can turn at Plymouth. That leaves us about eight weeks until the first Bristol-Par trip on June 1st. Presumably that will now only go as far as Plymouth or is the St Blazey turntable issue only minor?

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I am surprised more stuff doesn't terminate at Liverpool St, or Stratford (with a spare platform used occasionally), has easy enough access to the EC route, and the NLL, negates strolling through kew gardens and very good connections for passengers.

3. Big Al

You are forgetting that nothing has been gauged for Liverpool Street either. 70013 was refused last October and nothing has been in their since, IIRC.

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Stated in Steam Railway that they are looking at turning at Plymouth, and running tender first to Par.

5. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Seaford sold out!
    Amazing news ---- a RELIEF. /. DUPLICATE. Is running on the Sunday !! Booked on it today!!

GB 7. 48151 may haul Carnforth to Grange o Sands
    46233 York to KX.........(as well as Bristol n/b)
    Afaik Still gauging Devonport for a Hall so arrangements west of Exeter still fluid...........

Jorge Gorman likes this.
  6. RayMason

RayMason Member

The Sunday Seaford is booked to run from Waterloo due to eng works at Victoria. Guess the possible route.....!!??!!

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Thanks for that Ray. Booked on Sundays trip. Will probably photograph Saturdays.

RayMason likes this.
  8. Big Al

Via Nine Elms Flyover to Lindford Street Junction and then Herne Hill, Tulse Hill and Streatham Junction, onwards to East Croydon.

RayMason likes this.
  9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Eurostar flyover south of Vauxhall and onto towards Wandsworth Rd?

Then again that sounds like sense.. And there's a 33 on the back, so,... Waterloo -Clapham, Reverse to Kensington Olympia line, Reverse towards factory junction :)

Could always be Clapham, Balham, Selhurst to East Croydon..
    Or Clapham, Balham, Norwood Jn to East Croydon..

Wacky would be.. Clapham, Wimbledon, Sutton, Selhurst (rev), Norwood Jn (rev), East Croydon...

The extra trip on the Sunday 8th would appear to be interesting though... Eng Wks between Three Bridges and Gatwick...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    RayMason likes this.
  10. RayMason

RayMason Member

Yes,the Eurostar flyover! Not the first time but pretty rare.
    I was too late for the sat trip so pleased at the prospect of a duplicate
    My other dream track near CJ is the direct line to KO from Waterloo that Eurostar ECS and the odd service train run by Wales&West ran on but seems rarely used at present.

11. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Oh yes, I remember being on a special that used that second line you mention. It was Clan Line's 50th anniversary run to Bristol in June 1999 I believe ?, which ran out via Salisbury and into Bristol via Westbury and Bath, returning via Bristol Parkway, Chipping Sodbury and Reading. It then left the GWML at Acton Main Line to get to Kensington Olympia, picking up the Eurostar ECS line you mention from there.

The tour was promoted by Hertfordshire Railtours, (John Farrow's original company) who even though they didn't run many steam tours, often included tasty little extras like that when they did if I remember rightly.

12. Big Al

When Reading is back in action for steam it would be good if London departures could go via KennyO and Acton to access the GWML rather than the tedious and long trundle via Staines. Then anything out of Waterloo would give you the Latchmere chord but I think that there is better capacity at Victoria until the Eurostar platforms are back in use.

13. Big Al

That was in March 1998. And you will also remember that we were running over half an hour early coming home to be held at Latchmere until our path into Waterloo. An early indication that trains running early are potentially just as much a nuisance as trains running late.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Any plans for the first steam over the new Hitchen - Letchworth flyover ?

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    None at all but the new Hitchin - Letchworth flyover may stand a chance. :)
    I've asked this question and one answer was that the flyover was built for all traffic. Another answer was that steam and freight (unless top and tailed) will continue to use the flat crossing. Make of that what you will.

16. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Oh yes, of course, I knew as I typed that date I should double check it on "Six Bells" lol. The one thing I was conscious not to do was confuse it with the 2001 farewell pending overhaul tour. That was another classic you may remember with a non-stop run from a water stop at Weston-super-Mare to Salisbury, taking the up through line at Bristol Temple Meads with barely any slowing. Paul Burns on the regulator if I'm not mistaken. Whatever happened to him ?

17. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Well one thing I can make of it straight away is that it's further evidence there's no such thing as consistency in the answer to questions on railway matters, : )

18. Big Al

That trip was not only non stop Weston to outside Salisbury but also non stop Salisbury to Victoria via Wimbledon and Streatham. Paul Burns? Still around I think. As for No 7 on the RTC trip, I'll let them practise up Goodrington with her tomorrow so they've got it right for the 19th!

19. RayMason

RayMason Member

Thanks for the various imputs-all good stuff!
    Mentioning Hitchin is a bit freaky........discussing that with ND --- yesterday , plus a few other treats in the East........
    Not an easy one,but worth a try perhaps,even if a refusal follows. The other ideas were v interesting incl a FIRST but it's for Nigel to put a proposal that is then accepted as we all know!!!

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I was actually just thinking has steam ever been around Sutton -West Croydon ?, I know there was plan for 2x Black 5's last year from Horsham via Sutton and Mitcham, but that turned into a 47 till Southall.

Otherwise looking through sixbellsjunction I see March 1965 with 73022..