If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

From the 6023 website and dated 18/1/15 - " We are working towards a June completion date" see http://www.6023.co.uk/news/news.htm

2. Paul42

According to the RTC website 61306 will haul The Easterling.

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Apt locomotive for the route. Seriously considering doing a two-day odyssey to Carlisle and Lowestoft in 24 hours. Would sleep rather well on the Monday! Ah, what the hell- consider it booked.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. Paul42

61306 is now hauling The Peak Forester instead of 70013.

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Have looked again at the return to London on the Wensleydale trip. It has all the makings of a possible 'stranded at York' scenario. The diversion via Lincoln adds an hour to the London bound journey and the connection at York is not the margin you would leave on a steam trip. Say no more.

6. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    60009 is currently off all wheels with rods, buffers and whistle removed, maintenance planning to be done in 2 months and won't be available for it's next scheduled tour. Perhaps 34067 could be put on the Valentiens White Rose on the 14 next month?

7. BrialXL

BrialXL New Member

it just seems that you play roulette when booking these tours. Why bother to even list locos when it seems that 9 times out of 10, it will be a different one (most likely a Black-5) in the end anyway.

If you do have to travel from another country to enjoy these things, it would be nice to have a more realistic idea from the promoters (I hate to use the word honesty) about which locos it might be.

No-one can predict last minute failures, etc, but it is no secret that 5029 would be under repair during GB8. Did RTC even ask before listing the loco?

8. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Seems to be more anti-RTC attitudes creeping in again. I have not made a secret of the fact that I would travel from a different country (ie. Wales to northern England) for RTC tours as they offer far more variety than any other tour company, being one of the few to push the boat out. I'm usually happy with them no matter what steam locomotive is available; 5029 was in the itinerary in about June last year when few could have predicted recent events. Although speaking for myself, I wouldn't be too disappointed by its no-show, as it is one of those locos that seems to get everywhere.

RayMason likes this.
  9. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

If you feel as strongly about the motive power as the route, then you are likely also to have enough knowledge to also know the risks when booking (and that it is probably best to leave booking until late!). If it is only the route you are after, then the majority of those booking won't care as long as it's steam. When I travel with RTC I know it is likely to be one of possibly 3 locos likely to on the front - but generally it is route (& price) which dictate whether I book or not. As enthusiasts we are well aware of the myriad of external factors which dictate which loco appears or not - ever changing gauging, over running overhauls, unexpected failures. Non-enthusiasts who travel won't know this, but are also less likely to care whether it is an A4 or a Black 5. I can forgive RTC a few loco changes when they continue to keep promoting interesting rail tours that I can afford!

When booking a SRPS tour a couple of years ago which had promised 60009 (which was still under overhaul), I predicted several months in advance that Scots Guardsman was most likely replacement should 60009 not reappear in time. A couple of weeks before hand this proved to be the case. 46115 then went onto give me the best steam hauled rail tour of my life. This involved 2 of us spending 2 nights in a hotel and a 600 mile round trip by Virgin from Wolverhampton. Was I disappointed by there not being an A4 on the front? No, any steam up the Highland Mainline is seriously rare! All I cared about is that it ran & I spoke to SRPS several times beforehand who said a substitute would be sought should 60009 be not available. And here is the point, a promoter should always ensure a trip runs in case people have booked hotels and train tickets for which there are usually limited refunds.

RayMason, maureen and RalphW like this.
  10. maureen

maureen Member

5029 has only became unavailable the last 2 months when she failed a FTR exam with firebox problems for the Welsh Marshes trip on 30/11/14, hence she has been withdrawn from mainline duties, until that time she was available for her 2015 trips, RTC had listed 5029 for the GB long before she failed,

Yes engines do sometimes fail at the last minute and also repairs and maintenance can also be delayed by problems or delayed delivery of materials, just look at Britannia for example, but charter companies have to make arrangements and confirm with loco owners months in advance of them requiring to hire engines and therefore they are listed on the tours and if something goes wrong in the meantime, they have to look for an alternative, or as in the case of the Marches trip a diesel all day!!

RayMason and RalphW like this.
  11. Paul42

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    VE was one I wanted to do last year. Whilst tempted to head south for it, I would be more than happy to pay a bit extra for top and tail steam to get the extra mileage. We get it a lot in the North East (steam HSTs, as I call them).

13. Tony172

Tony172 New Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Chances are 34067 will do this trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPM82B likes this.
  14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I'm very surprised that there has been no "Welsh Borderer" this year. I was on last year's run, behind 34046 and, apart from the hour's break just outside Oxford station, I thought it was a brilliant itinerary and as far as I could gather, the train seemed pretty well patronised. With Swindon-Kemble now re-doubled throughout, it could have been even better. Worcester-Hereford-Newport is still awash with semaphores, the scenery is very attractive and there's plenty of scope for hill climbing and fast running. There is a tight platform somewhere - at Malvern Link, I believe - but given that there are no GWR engines available apart from the Tyseley fleet, this isn't really too much of a problem. It would have been a great main line christening for 35018.

Tony172 likes this.
  15. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    Just seen the site has been updated with more trips, another Robin Hood...! Don't think I can resist after seeing the performance of last years run...

16. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Hmmm... If I can afford them, and my research is on track, then possibly Cheshireman, Valleys and Robin Hood. It might end up being the rarer of the former and the RH. Its a long day, though.

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Hopefully it won't be shoved around by the diesel so much this year.

18. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I remember seeing a on board report in, Heritage Railway, which said, there wasn't much to shout about ! Hopefully everything goes a bit better, as it was a decent itinerary !

19. Paul42

Rtc website now states 34067.

20. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend