If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Jun 17, 2018.

1. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You could say that the new tours deserve their own thread. Disappointed to see the Edinburgh Flyer in March booked for Tornado now and not Number 9, especially as she appears to be getting to York a couple of weeks before. Wonder when her “final” tour is?

2. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

What month in 2020 does U.O.S.A. boiler ticket run out

3. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

March, I think.

4. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Nice to be informed by RTC that the Tynesider has been neutered - or should that be alerted by a fellow traveller. Any one else booked to go to Newcastle and been informed yet - supposedly emails and communications sent today - though I’ve not received anything yet...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  5. Will RL

Will RL Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Shame to see the tour amended... certainly was the stand out tour of the Christmas programme for me - was just awaiting pay day to book my place. Whilst optimistic, it was a big ask for the support crews so can understand the cut back itinerary. The Edinburgh Christmas Market now taking my fancy for a bit of ECML no.9 action before its time is up.

6. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    As suggested, it's morphed into the Christmas White Rose, with 60163 KGX-YRK and 60009 YRK-KGX.

The run to Newcastle did seem a bit bolted-on, so this seems a safer option that results in more mileage with 60009. Sadly, it doesn't fill me with much confidence that the Cotton Mills will remain as is between now and February.

The 28/11 trip from Norwich has had a particularly drastic change of destination from Worcester to York.

Crewe Flyer needs to flog 200 dining and standard seats between now and November.

7. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Worse it's still 0630 off the Cross!!

8. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    A hotel in Stevenage has been sourced for its previous incarnation and will be retained. However, I agree it is indeed a tad difficult to do from Abergavenny!

9. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Worth an overnighter for the Tynesider. Probably won't do the replacement.

10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Having already booked on this I hope that by the time West Coast get to make sense of this Christmas RTC fiction that they sort out some sensible timings. It's still a good trip with both locos but honestly, where is the sense in a 0630 departure from KGX and 5+ hours in York?

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Haven't a clue, although I suspect it might be something along the lines of giving plenty of time to comprehensively browse the Christmas Market. Speaking for myself, I might as well head back to the flat for lunch before the return!

Regardless, an A4 hasn't been seen at the stops at the Cross for a little while, so worth it for that, and it might be 60009's last opportunity to do so. That is, until they change the batting order...

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

And it could be nr 9' s last visit to The Cross. Hoping it actually makes it this time. unlike last year when I had to get off at Finsbury Park or go to Ealing Broadway.

Last years trip had a 7.09 departure ( see http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t18/t1215b.htm) but they were worried about water since the Duchess had left Southall at 4.15, so left the diesel on the back. This might be the reson for leaving earlier.

More importantly with an approx 10.50am arrival what to do in the 70 minutes before Brigantes opens.

13. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Sadly the February 2020 Cotswold Venturer is the same as last years and what last week's became; clockwise with Sapperton Eastbound. Was told that it's WCR's favoured way to run them. Another enthusiasts train bites the dust.

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't criticise West Coast for having that view if true. I'm prepared to guess that their 'preference' may only partly be to do with which direction is best for Sapperton but also more prosaic operational issues.

15. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Not pathing outward from PAD as the 0740 slot stops at Didcot so getting a path to Worcester via Oxford wouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if its become more difficult to water in the Oxford area. Can't see the train being very popular in Feb; over 4 hours in Worcester in the winter. It's another Day Tripper train now and one we'll not do unless there's a good guest loco. Choices reducing all the time.

16. Gorleston North

Gorleston North New Member

It was suggested in the railway press that the Weymouth trip on Sep 5th with No. 9 might also feature the Swanage’s U Class on the climb out of Weymouth. Not seen or heard anything since - anyone know if this is likely to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    There is meant to be an announcement about the moguls next week (See post #3110 of the Swanage Railway General Discussion thread) However, given the timescale involved, I'd be very surprised to see 31806 fit for the main line in time for Thursday's DCE. (Open to correction by anyone from the Swanage Railway who may have inside information)

I was hoping for a late winter/early spring 2020 DCE with 31806 as a banker, but sadly, as usual, the RTC's early 2020 programme has nothing whatsoever in the South of England. May I add that besides commenting about this here, I've also mentioned it to RTC. I appreciate that some people who live in the South of England are prepared to endure the marathon winter Settle & Carlisle trips, but I am disappointed that there's nothing for us Southerners for whom such long days are just too much. After all, on a grim February or March day, I wouldn't have thought that Swanage or Weymouth would be any worse a place to spend a couple of hours than Carlisle and you could do these trips with steam all the way from London and no need to worry about fire risk in the New Forest at that time of year.

18. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

As far as I know it is still in Herston Works so I would think it would be unlikely to be on the mainline by Thursday as I would think it must need some running in at Swanage when it does emerge.

19. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

I would agree although both Swanage and Weymouth do lack the challenge of Shap, Ais Gill and Wilpshire. Not sure even if you did the steam the other way around, if paths were available, you would get unassisted ascents of Upwey and Parkstone banks.
    You also lose the chance to stand in amazement when the Barrow train empties Cumbrian youth (under dressed for Summer) on Carlisle Station in the middle of February!

20. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    What’s wrong with us Cumbrian Youth?