If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Jun 17, 2018.

1. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Passengers generally have the option to alight/re-join at Bournemouth when using RTC's Dorset Coast Express (et al) or Swanage Belle tours. On the former, it's not unknown for part fares between Bournemouth and Weymouth but there is the (generally) diesel hauled return which puts off some people.
    Just because you quote "hauled between Weymouth and Southampton" doesn't preclude a stop at Bournemouth. Nowhere does it state it is non-stop between those stations.
    RTC have used the reversal at Southampton for many years and, as you presume, they travel via Romsey and Laverstock before regaining the mainline at Worting Junction and then follow the outward route.
    Most passengers, I suspect, just want their train to drop them off at the same station they boarded and wouldn't be unduly concerned which route was used to accomplish this nor necessarily the semantics involved in the route description. As we know - some of RTC's tour descriptions have, in the past, been the subject of much forum chatter!

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've just received an e-mail from RTC saying that the Christmas tours are now up. 11 trains in all visiting a range of Christmas fairs including Ludlow, Lincoln and Bath.Seems like 6233 and 60009 will be the main motive power. One of the Bath trains starts at Swanage picking up at the predictable spots. As an East Sussex resident, it's good that the "Sussex Belle" to Eastbourne will be running again (Tuesday 26th November) although I was slightly amused by the blurb stating that it will either be hauled by 60009 or a Black Five. Much as I'd love to see "Number Nine" in this part of the world, given that the return journey is via the Hastings- Tunbridge Wells line which even after the singling of the worst tunnels, is not exactly the most gauge-friendly line in the south of England, I'm expecting a Black Five to be doing the honours once again.

3. Will RL

Will RL Member

I’m liking the look of that programme... Some interesting routes taken as well as the highlights of 60009 on Lickey! Interesting to see Tornado listed. Assuming the Tynesider will be a West Coast job still? Mind, two east coast Pacific’s on home territory on one trip looks good still!

4. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    That’s a mighty impressive programme! Had several quiet Decembers on the railtour front but will definitely be bucking the trend this time round, starting with The Tynesider.

5. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    0630 off KX. Who can get to that?

6. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Based on current timetables I could by driving to Three Bridges and catching the 5:15 Thameslink service which gets to St Pancras at 6:10(note there are early services I could catch).

Waterbuck likes this.
  7. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Do not know but we had a lot there for the 05:54 departure on the Whitby tour last year.
    02:30 National Express from Winchester get you to Heathrow at 04:30 and night tube to Kings Cross.

8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Even if 60009's main line certification lasts till then, I can't see it (or indeed any other steam loco) taking a commercially viable train up the Lickey on its own. The ideal would be a steam banker just for that section, which has been done in preservation (11-12-1999) but seems unlikely.

9. Gladiator 5076

This one was later (24.03.12) with Lizzie on the front. Not sure if there has been a banker since. More staggering 7 years ago thought it was quite recent when I started to look for the image.

Attached Files:

10. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Not very nice but I could do it by driving to Woking and catching the 0435 to Waterloo then taxi or bus to Victoria and tube to KX

11. Gladiator 5076

Northern Line has night tube so no need to bother with a taxi unless late into Waterloo or closed for engineering works. Just change to Victoria Line or Piccadilly Line to get to the Cross, or go direct to Euston and take a short walk down the Euston Road. (Assumes of course the start time does not get dragged in further forward).

12. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Not shown on TFL journey planner when I checked just now

13. Gladiator 5076

Yes it did not for me until I told it I wanted tube journeys only, then it shows a train about every 12 minutes and a 9 minute journey time to Euston.

14. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

The published pricing for the Tynesider could make this the bargain of the year with the early booking discount offer (pre-July 1st) of £25 off the quoted price of £119 standard return announced in today's email. I'm not sure where the headline price on the RTC website "From £99" comes from, but £94 for 536 miles of East Coast Pacific power has got to be the best ever, and that's not taking account of its sheer rarity value. In recent times, most of the out-and-back in a day excursions to Tyneside have involved some sort of modern traction support to make the length of the days outing workable. I guess the penalty on this occasion just had to be the early start.

So, does this excursion suggest that the tectonic plates that have defined the alignment of Owners-TOCs-Promoters are beginning to shift slightly/ slowly/ surely??

15. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Bait been taken here too, Edinburgh for me behind number 9, £74 a bargain with the early bird discount and a cheap Premier Inn available too!

16. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

Does anyone have the code for the early bird discount, a case of trigger finger and being half asleep caused me to delete the email! :Facepalm: Thanks in advance.

17. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

XMD

18. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

Thanks Paul. :)

19. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    The Tynesider is such superb value for money with the discount that I just had to book it. Will worry about the logistics when the time comes! That said, I am tempted by 60009 to Worcester, too as I need to tick off the Camp Hill route. Sorry Didcot 175 (15th of this month) and 35028 (10 August), but a combination of line-bashing and sheer ambition for what can be squeezed into a day have gained command of my limited (after GBXII) resources!

20. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

WCRC's 47 will be getting plenty of exercise then.