If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC daytrips 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Dec 24, 2012.

1. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

What about Whiteball? I don't know the load but would have thought 44932 would have been better attached at Taunton.

2. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    A few more updates 24/02/13

Mayflower. 44932 Exeter Plymouth. EXETER. (34067 Eus. Ply. Bristol.)

Sun 7 April. 30777 reserve for 34046.........(34067 as booked)

sun 14 April.now 70013 (!!)

Sat 20 GB. 70013 may poss play a part if 34046 not ready(tbc)

Sun 21. 5029 Brs to Cardiff. Good!

There may be more changes but not yet confirmed. "Conversation with Nigel" is my source........

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Bristol to Cardiff is not far for 5029... Is it worth it? Couldn't 34067 and 34046/70013 take it on? Or the 5s could start at Bristol...

5. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Of course it is!

James at SVN

6. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Of course its worth it. GBVI is a high profile train where expenditure is not a major concern. It will be an ideal first run for 5029 since overhaul if thats what it turns out to be and it fits with the GB principle of "horses for courses"

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Good-oh! Will be nice to see 777 back on the mainline (much as I hope 34046 will soon be fit, too).

8. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Is there a way to Get Lamiel involved on The Great Britain Tour

9. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    Seems standard class fully booked for The Mayflower apart from 1 seat

10. RayMason

RayMason Member

Fenman Tin Bath. Wansbeck. All virtually full so ring the office if you want a ticket.

Nigel knows that mods are around on sat......

GB. There may be a further loco change. Tour looking very good. Seats left. Still hoped to feature 34046........

just heard that 34067 may be used on a long distance ECS working!! SRPS stock needs to come south..... Please do not pm or ring RTC but keep an eye out on Realtime,UK steam or other source of gen. Prob the week prior to 9 march. This info is only shared provided there is no anti WCRC/RTC comment for lack of details!! Could be fun to see steam on a genuine ECS wkg!perhaps anyone who spots timings could. post outline timings on NP. Thanks.

A further 4 RTC trips are likely in the autumn passing,how can one put it,Dawlish!!! So , if you like a.good run in Devon late Sept or the first 3 sats in Oct.......details later but I feel certain will be of much interest to enthusiasts. This is far from confirmed but looking very good!!!

11. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting Ray, thanks for posting.

The ECS working intrigues me, as I didn't think SPRS stock were used by WCRC? EDIT: Of course SPRS are used by WCRC, as SPRS Railtours have operated for years with WCRC! This is exactly why I shouldn't post at nearly 11pm! :doh:

James at SVN

12. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Any definate confirmation that the Scarborough Flyers are returning back to Standedge route this year? and not through Rochdale & Brighouse
    Neil

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I notice the Kidderminster - Mineheads have been pulled due to "operational difficulties", could anyone elaborate on that ?.

14. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight New Member

5029 wont be ready in time so really the two bulleids should just carry onto Cardiff anyway

15. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    I have been told they are, by a fairly reliable scource, as the work has now been completed which prevented them taking that route.

16. neildimmer

Thanks, yes the work is finished at Stalybridge, it's just RTC's website is not very clear, on the page it says via Calder Valley , but on the Booking page it is via Huddersfield

Neil

17. RalphW

Well if anyone wants to come and have a chat we can be found at the end of coach J.

18. RayMason

RayMason Member

As Osprey suggests the route will go back to Huddersfield , an important pick up point. The new TPE t/t with extra trains may make weekday excursions difficult to path,so enjoy the opportunities afforded this year......

WSR trips. The plan was to use dates when stock and locos from the Crewe pool were spare. The plan was agreed in outline but not confirmed. The WSR was unable to accept the trains,however and perhaps RTC had been over keen to advertise them. My fault. Sorry. The huge number of engineering works on FGW in the next year or two gave me the idea of regular trips to the WSR NOT via Reading.
    WSR is now a busy railway and excursions do not seem to be a major part of its plans. It does not appear,how to put it,very anxious and willing to accept incoming charters unless its a v quiet day(or a gala). The odd one will always occur but my idea for a regular steam charter,like the CMEs or the summer Crewe programme heading for the WSR on a lovely summer/autumn day ilooks dead in the water. Maybe another year?
    however,all is not lost. An alternative plan is being looked at. If successful I am sure many forum members will be excited..
    through charters to preserved lines pose challenges."please come in winter or mid-week.train is too long/insufficient crews or quite simply not really wanting them" Clearly,some occur but NP readers may be startled to learn that many ideas seem to stall due to a lack of enthusiasm or only being able to accept a charter at xx.xx leaving at yy.yy whatever the needs of the charter. However,RTC and others will no doubt continue to try and maybe the lines will increase capacity thus enabling charters to be run more easily,rather the than the odd "oneoff". Personally, looking at the traffic figs and poor results in 2012 of tourist attractions in the S.W( a disaster ) I expected a huge welcome to anyone proposing bringing 400 passengers to a preserved line with all they spend in the railway shop and cafe.........I also understand private railways can find it difficult to say yes when someone rings and asks for a path on a busy day. As a retailer in the SW I believe the customer is King and we do the utmost to increase revenue if it profitable..........

the above is a PERSONAL view and,as ever,no way represents RTC/ND.

This years programme looks very good. Bookings have been excellent with a sellout today and there are many more plans in the pipeline!!! Still seats on the GB which is still booked for 34046 and5029. We will see,eh!!

Mods. have a great day on the CME !

Ray Mason

19. neildimmer

Many thanks for the info

Neil

20. RalphW

Thanks Ray we did....