If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC daytrips 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Dec 24, 2012.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    To the best of my knowledge 5029, 34046, 70000 and 70013 are all likely to be running in June, barring any further unforeseen issues.

David

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

David

Thanks for that.

Paul

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Thanks David, that sounds promising, though "running in June" might not mean "run-in, certified and ready for duty on Sun 2nd June". ;-) At least it sounds like I'm justified booking a day's holiday on 9th July.

Any news on what routes 777 will be allowed to work this summer?

4. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Sorry, I have no info about the plans for 777, other than it was expected to leave the WSR in the first week of July. Unfortunately, it is one of the widest locos on the mainline and is now heavily restricted. Recent decisions suggest that it is currently barred from the western end of the South Western route to Exeter so the 9 July train is not looking very likely.

But the permitted routes can vary, depending on how recently the route has been gauged, as the minimum required clearances are increased with time since the last gauging as a precautionary measure. Perhaps we should keep track of where the gauging train goes to give us an indication of what routes may be opened up again (eg Cam & Dursley). I gather gauging train covers the whole country in a 4 year cycle, although some routes may be gauged more frequently.

David

5. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

I read on Twitter (I think?) that 777 will be moving to the North Norfolk soon as the NNR have a locomotive shortage. Confirmation, however, would be appreciated.

James at SVN

6. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Let's hope the gauging train goes through Templecombe again soon (although the platform does look rather tight, even with DMUs).

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

8. Steamage

9. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

to make up for no steam tours last year;)

10. Steamage

So it's your fault, Neil? How much did you have to pay Nigel to get it re-routed past your back garden? :p

11. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

The original routing was from Liverpool to Preston via St Helens Central and Wigan NW. However the WCML is to be closed between Warrington and Preston for 9 consecutive days from the 13 July, the date of the tour, whilst 3 junctions in the Wigan area are remodelled. This explains why the tour cannot run from Wigan [Springs Branch Jn] to Preston. However why it could not reverse at Manchester Victoria on the revised routing instead of Preston on the original itinerary and run via Bolton and Blackburn to Copy Pit remains a mystery as no explanation has been given. Maybe its because the Birmingham - Scotland Voyagers are being diverted via Bolton between Crewe and Preston and there is no path. I think most people booked on this trip to go via Copy Pit, I know I certainly did and as such personally I feel it would have been better to postpone it.

12. sche

sche New Member

Going early next week by road and staying till June. Due to run every day from 25th May till 3rd June.

13. 45305

45305 New Member

Surely this must have been known when the tour was in the planning stages and then advertised?

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    All that complication would make the day far too long, don't forget whatever you may think, the majority of passengers are not enthusiasts, just ordinary people having a day out by train with a steam engine on the front. Route, they don't care.

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    As Ralph implies, the 'most people' you refer to are generally only the enthusiasts in standard class, whose trip is effectively being subsidised in any case by those who don't care what happens as long they get a day out that's different whilst getting fed and watered. Speaking for myself, I can live with pretty drastic route modifications as long as there's steam on the front and it starts from the advertised start point.

16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Quite a unique engine is 777. Are they planning on adding extra protective padding around the loco for the road move. Come to think of it, if it's going to the NNR......

17. 6:05 special

I'm afraid you are wrong Ralph. The majority of passengers on this train ARE enthusiast. many are members of the 5305 LA association because this was to have been the first Brit over copy pit in preservation. I agree the timings would have been longer but not impossible so.

18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    As a regular steward I walk through the train many times during the day, and talk to many passengers, so I do know first hand which group they belong to, and stand by what I said.
    OK so a one off Brit over Copy Pit may have drawn some extra enthusiasts, but I still think there are too many who assume that they are the larger group on all steam hauled tours.
    This weeks Fylde Coast Express from Kilmarnock to Blackpool will no doubt prove my point, many are going on a railtour and the fact that it even has steam for part of the way is not the main attraction, however I imagine that if we find tomorrow evening, when we board the stock at Carnforth, that Galatea is in steam, I have no doubt that the remaining empty seats may well be taken by Carlisle to Blackpool, pay on the day....

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I think you're spot on there, Ralph.

20. 6:05 special