If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC Sherborne Carols: 11/12/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by OldGit, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Careful, @RalphW you have just stepped on the quicksand of comparative loco performance! ;)

2. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I agree with this, out of all the current active locos on the ML, 35028 is the only one that's stretched. We all know the PRCLT don't want the Duchess extended, plenty of proof of its runs up Shap. At least WCR have started to pushed BIL now she's run in ! Only Tornado and the Duke could match 35028 but its unlikely given the amount of work that's going on to get the Duke back. The locos that are available are able to match and break records, but the willpower and yesteryear's drivers are not !

green five likes this.
  3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Bugger! Looks like this trip was worth going on. I even had the discount e-mail from RTC. Trouble is I am very wary about booking these days due to the diesel factor. Will have to keep an eye on next year's trips. Anyway I found this great video on YouTube of the loco storming through Tisbury trying to make the time up:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Yes, I also missed out. Even discussed this trip with RTC but was not convinced by their answer as they were unable or unwilling to tell me the loading.

green five likes this.
  5. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's a real shame there can't be better communication on this. With that discount, I would have booked straight away if I'd known this was planned to be diesel-free (obviously with the normal caveats). Seems like RTC (and SD, with the Worcester trip yesterday) are missing out on hundreds of pounds worth of bookings from some on here. And it has often been said that it's the last few bookings which can make the difference to the profit, or loss, on the trip..

70000, green five and Kylchap like this.
  6. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

Exactly. I would have booked four tickets on the York trip last week and a couple more if the "diesel status" had been clear. I'm thinking of turning up for the Christmas White Rose on 20th, just in case it's steam only, and try POTD. Damned inconvenient, but I'm not risking an advance booking.

alastair and green five like this.