If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

russel 2009

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by rough-shunter, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Yes but it will help no end for spotting defects though…. ;-)

God forbid!!! :-#

2. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Realist

Realist New Member

4. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Re: russell 2009

It was announced by the photographer (and FRCo staff member) on both the FR and WHR egroups yesterday. I think the presence of the General Manager in several of the photos tends to suggest that it was "official" and was done with his knowledge.

No doubt it will appear on the WHR site in due course. "Latest News" tells me the following:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
    Type mismatch: 'msel'
    E:\KUNDEN\HOMEPAGES\36\D75705568\WHR\../news/miniabstracts-whr.asp, line 124

Which is nice!

5. Realist

Realist New Member

Thanks Tony.
    I have noticed that both the WHR and FRC are very slow at updating their websites and even slower at removing old news. Must be very busy after loosing those staff?

P

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Good God ](*,)

I don't care if anyone accuses me of moaning about liveries, Website address's on the side looks as tacky as modern units plastered in advertisments, hope it's only temporary as per 60163.

Spoils an unusual grey livery and the usual high Boston Lodge workmanship.

7. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

''Oh that is the web site....I think I will buy that''.....I can not imagine there are many impulse purchasers at the bottom of Snowdon sat in their tents with the tinternet...

Use of internet address on A1 may have worked due to national publicity in papers, TV etc. It might work for Welsh Highland as a one-off with the TV coverage but lets face it in reality we all search on google etc. Hopefully it will be repainted black very quickly!

Now where is Russell......????

8. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Woah, enough of the livery frothing! As the person who has stumped up the money for her restoration wants her in accurate liveries (i believe 1 year photographic grey, then SAR black), no doubt when she enters traffic she'll have something more traditional on the coal bunker, but until then whats the harm? As these pic's have already been around the internet im sure its generated quite a few more website hits and that can only be a good thing.

Chris

9. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Yes... lets get back to heritage and preservation.

It will be good to see a big "Russell's back!" campaign with plenty of emotion when the time comes.
    I guess it wont be the end of the world If the loco ends up being confined to the WHHR, they do offer an ever improving product and as I understand, it now looks like the Cambrian may see a three day stop at Port this year due to various operational reasons.

10. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Vinyl stickers chaps, when I first saw it I thought it was horrific, but now I can see now that it's a very good idea, 87 is preservation's best turned out loco (wait 'till you see in the cab) since Merddin Emrys (ME is nicer obviously), it's going to get more publicity now than it will ever again, I wouldn't be suprised if it was in railway magazine's worldwide, people will read the caption, but will that caption contain the website address? Once all the publicity has died down maybe they'll get peeled off?

11. 5900Hinderton

5900Hinderton New Member

if this 87 is so brilliant why not start a thread on it??? this is a Russell thread? ](*,)

12. Hunslets Finest

Last comment from me as I agree we shouldn't be distracted from the real Welsh Highland and the fantastic Russell....(one of my fav engines and IMHO the Railway won't really be reopened until it returns to the Pass!)

Presentation in an authenthic condition is what preservation is all about. Livery is an important part of that and it seems to be forgotten all too often these days. Glad to hear the Garratt is to wear authenthic liverires in future and will look forward to seeing it in SAR black alongide Russell!

As an aside If you want to see true preservation visit Berlin Technical Museum - most engines are in as withdrawn condition and somehow look better for it. Among the 30 odd engines in the two roundhouses they have a Henschel Garratt in ex-SAR condition. Well worth a visit especially if your transport interests are wider than railways - you will need at least one day.

(PS IMHO 'Livery frothing' is a term best left on diesel forums....)

13. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Because then some smarty pants would have said, "Why didn't you post this with the rest of the 87 stuff?"
    Perhaps a moderator would kindly split the Topic.

HF,
    Do you know if there is a photo of the Henschel Garratt on the web?

14. restore_russell_2009

restore_russell_2009 New Member

Russell. Funny you should mention him...
    Latest Russell newsletter for Joe Public released here as a special edition for the readers of National Preservation.

http://russell2009.fr/pdf/whhr-rusnewslet7WEBfron.pdf

http://russell2009.fr/pdf/whhr-rusnewslet7WEBrev.pdf

A fuller edition combining the August edition that I failed to finish as I was rather busy being dead, and the January edition, is being tweaked together now. This will be sent out to all Russell subscribers and donators in the next couple of weeks. If you want to know what's in that edition, well there is a rather handy form on page 2 of the second PDF file! =P~

As for 87 it is very nice and a credit to the team that built it but at the end of day once you've seen one you've seen em all. There is however only one Russell. And when he re-emerges later this year you will realise that you have never actually seen him ever before....

15. Realist

Realist New Member

Search and you shall find!

http://gallery.rotfaithai.com/details.php?image_id=3681&sessionid=38425fd50ac6d29c9e653bf74071481f

16. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

That's a great way of putting it.....

Thanks so much for the preview of the subscribers newsletter, it's good to see him coming together. :)

17. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd

Please Note: Switch on humour mode at this point...

You obviously don't know your 138 from your 87 (or 140 or 143)... or your Beyer,Peacocks from your Cockerills...

Whereas Russell - well, if there's only one then once you've seen 'him' you've definitely seen 'em all..!

\:D/

Seriously, though - respect to the 'Russell' team... =D>

...and yes, I can't wait to see the loco steaming again either..!

18. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
  19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  20. Hunslets Finest

Thanks for the newsletter.

Out of interest will Russell have the air pump fitted when restored or will be hidden?

Sorry no pics of Berlin Tech Museum but will have a look through some German websites.

Regards,