If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rutland Railway Wagon Progress

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by hunslet24, Jun 5, 2008.

1. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Personel brush for you now in the post...! =P~

2. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

The Vac sytem went back on too the SR brake van today and all linkages freed off so just the hoses and some other sudrise and we are ready to test the system!! we might just make the santas yet!! \:D/

3. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

The SR brake is now ready for the Vac test and is now having more bits put back on! the repaired ducket is on and looks brand new, also its in under coat ready for the first top coates.

4. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

The SR brake is now 90% complete having fitted the stove and new pipe today along with some panel replacement, painting and general bad language... All the fun of wagons eh! #-o

5. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

We are now on the home strait!! Just the inside to paint and a guard on the stove pipe to fit and we are ready!! Hopefully.......! \:D/

6. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

As an update the SR van ran out yesterday on its first passenger day, the vacume system worked after some tinkering and was generally well received even on one of the most horrible days of weather I have known ther!! bring on summer I say! =D>

7. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

We had our end of year shunt round ready for the comming years operating program today which allowed us to finally run a 10 wagon Iron ore train with brake up the 1/60 bank, unfortunatley we have a temporary steam drought which ment they where diesel hauled! Still looked fantastic! \:D/

8. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    It wasn't a steam drought we had the Sentinel on the Train at one point, and we managed to pull half the train for nearly 200 yards!!!!! Not our fault the thing would only have either steam OR water in the boiler and not both!!!! I think we need to work out where the leak is pretty quick!!!!!!!!!!

Oh... any by the way... can we add some drain holes to the new tipple wagon... some rought braking by the diesel driver on the last train up the bank, resulted in a tidal wave coming through the cab windows of the Sentinel!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

he he! its on the book to be done already! that was going to be my fish pond =P~

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    [quote="Firefly776]
    It wasn't a steam drought we had the Sentinel on the Train at one point, and we managed to pull half the train for nearly 200 yards!!!!! Not our fault the thing would only have either steam OR water in the boiler and not both!!!! I think we need to work out where the leak is pretty quick!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]
    FWIW, my experience with Sentinels and getting them to steam under load is that there must abosolutely not be any place where air can leak into the firebox and reduce the draught and I am talking about the smallest pinsized hole. The top plate, especially, takes an awful lot of sealing but, once done, they will steam for England!

11. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Thanks steve! maybe is the problem after all. She does need some other issues sorting, i.e the injector is not picking up to well and the weir pump has stopped again, will have a look around her on sunday and see if there are any gaps etc! =P~

12. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    She's really still having the bugs worked out of her, she'll be fine once they're fixed.

A smashing little machine otherwise!!!!

Fantastic freight train by the way Gaz!!! Was gutted we didn't get to take 10 up the bank!!!!!

How many do you think we'd be able to get up there when I get the 13 inch Barclay finished????? 12? 13?

HOW MANY CAN YOU GIVE ME?????????????

13. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

As it stands for aril am looking to have 16 hopper/tipplers plus brake should be enough for now!! \:D/
    With a few more hopper no too far away from completion, it could be 18 by the last operating days this year. How about a load challenge when you have yours together Firefly and STR is done!

14. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    You know me mate... ALWAYS up for a challenge!!!

15. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Some pictures of the authentic iron ore hopper wagons in use for our open days this year. I am also hoping to have a rake of iron ore tippler wagons running aswell!

16. Coal Sector

Coal Sector New Member

progress is looking good there, nice work lads.
    ex ashington Brake vans hey? \:D/
    best ya can get =D>

(sorry from that area).

love to get myself down there, been on ya site, may see if i can get myself down for your Oct Photo Chater.

17. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Cheers for that! we have some more to do yet and am affraid the ashington brakes are still in a state, we hope to get one of them in soon to go with the tipplers! 8-[

18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Most impressive and I really must make the trip over to visit this year

are there any plans for a photographic day

19. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

A picture of our Sheepbridge hopper which requires some attention to one of its springs, also a 'before' picture of the next hopper in line for restoration, this is the one which currently has a set of wheels out awaiting attention to a bent W iron, wil :p l try to get a picture of it as is now! will be in the shed for a thourough overhaul shortly

20. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Great pics gaz. You wagon fleet really is a world away from where it used to be.

Once the hoppers are done... is it a coat of paint for the tipplers, or try and restore the dump cars?